New here, again, and now a Vegetarian

Options
I'm a recently converted vegetarian. It's rough not eating meat, but it just doesn't agree with my tummy. Hardest part is replacing the protein. With my busy life, just nothing quick except for eggs which I have an allergy to those. Looking for some motivation. I have back and foot pain, and Doc said lose weight and that will go away. I know she's right, just not real motivated. Need help.

Replies

• VisionOfKathleen
    VisionOfKathleen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey, maxxjustice. I'm heading to the plant-based lifestyle too. I eat lots of nuts, cashews, seeds etc for protein. My issue isn't knowing what to eat, it's making sure I plan it out and don't just run thru the Evil Arches when I'm tired. I'm feeling better already, but I know this is a battle I will have to fight for a little while before I win the war. My perspective is both "One meal at a time" and "Plan ahead". I just don't want to have to be taken care of when I should be out having fun living; that is my main motivator to going plant-based. It cuts out inflammation which is the main reason for so many illnesses.
    Hit me up any time!
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, add me if you wish. I {still} transitioning to a plant-based lifestyle.
    I had a few hiccups last week because I was away at a work related workshop but I'm back on the wagon today!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There are many sources of plant protein out there other than eggs. If you are still eating dairy, non-fat greek yogurt with a no-sugar added or fresh fruit cup is one of my favorite quick and easy meals. Also, check out the organic or "health" food section of your grocery. There are many different brands of veggie burgers, veggie bacon, veggie sausage, pre-prepared foods, etc. that are high in protein. Ezekial bread, paired with peanut butter is a high protein breakfast that requires no cooking and if you are just in the mood to go through the drive through, Burger King makes a veggie burger called the "BK Veggie" that is only about 350 calories. Ask for it as it may not be on the menu. Taco Bell will also allow you to substitute beans for the meat on any of their menu items.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Have you found our plant-based group yet? If not, definitely check it out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian and have been plant-based since I was 11. My high-protein staples include cottage cheese, high-protein yogurts (Greek or Icelandic), cheeses (string cheese gets you a surprising amount of protein at a low calorie "cost"), eggs, protein bars/powders, tofu, and some limited meat substitutes like veggie burgers. When I have more time to cook, I like things like beans, legumes, tempeh, seitan and higher-protein grains like quinoa or brown rice. Nuts and nut butters are better sources of fat than protein, although they help fill in the gaps sometimes.