Tips for gaining muscle and lose fat?

Options
I’m on a caloric deficit of 1300 and my macros are 30-40-30 . Do you have there any tips to gain muscle and lose fat? I’m interested in losing inches off my waist.

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you are eating 1300 or that you are 1300 below your TDEE? Also, you aren't going to gain muscle and lose fat when you are cutting aggressively. You will need to try to preserve what you have for now and then bulk at the end of your weight loss. While you are losing make sure you are in a good lifting program to avoid losing muscle.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Agree with all stated by @Wheelhouse15 and @sardelsa
  • samantharmaggard
    samantharmaggard Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Lift weights 3 to 4 times a week and go heavy and eat in a calorie deficit. Cardio should be kept to a minimal (I only do about 15 minutes of HIIT after I lift weights). You will gain some muscle but you really can’t do both. For myself I want to maintain my muscle strength but my focus is on losing 10 pounds of fat...so I need to be in a calorie deficit.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Losing weight and gaining muscles is almost impossible except in these situations:
    1) you're a new lifter, you will be able to do both for the first few months, but afterwards, building muscles on a cut will no longer happen.
    2) You're obese....once you're lean, you will become like the rest of us
    3) You're on gear (aka steroids)
    4) You're on recomp (basically your near maintenance). The progress will be slower compared to bulking and cutting cycles, but it is proven to work.
    5) People regaining lost muscles (Basically those who stopped working out after a few years and then go back to the gym)
    6) Genetic Freaks

If you're not in one of those 6 categories, unfortunately it is not by eating 1300 calories that you will gain muscles. You have two options, either do what sardelsa said and recomp or if you want a faster route, you can do a bulking and cutting cycles. In general, women tend to go towards recomp, I don't have many mfp women friends who bulk at all apart sardelsa. My personal preference is bulking and cutting, simply because I want faster results. Either one of those choices is fine.

Judging by your profile picture, I have no clue why you are still looking to cut to be honest with you, you seem already lean to me.