keto diet

Options
Hello Everyone, I'm trying the keto diet as a new lifestyle change! Any suggestions, recipes, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Keto/low-carb isn't necessary to lose weight, although some people do find it suits them very well. I'm not one of them :wink:
  • skatemom61
    skatemom61 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm actually on Ideal Protein Diet, but I'm interested in Keto as a way to keep the weight off when I reach "maintenance" phase. I have a great recipe for Cloud Bread that I make, but I found it on Pinterest so I'm sure a search would give you more options. There is so much out there now! Good Luck!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Many of the paleo recipes are keto friendly. I used Paleo Leap and Paleo Tribe. Also check the Atkins website they have free recipes.

As an aside, long term you need at least 100 grams of carbs to keep your bowels happy and your thyroid functioning.

If you pick carbs like beans, sweet potatoes, cold boiled potatoes, lentils, pumpkin, winter squash, and add small amounts of occasional rice or pasta you can successfully be on a low carb, low sugar / high protein, high fat diet without being constipated because your bowel is accustomed to your eating a lot more carbs to create certain bacteria which you need to assist with digestion and motility.

Sometimes, some people experience things like their hair falling out or have flu-like symptoms if they restrict carbs long term. I lost 40 pounds doing a modified keto diet using a lot of paleo recipes and the body fat has gradually disappeared and I have very little sagging skin.

M-F I generally eat:
    2 HB eggs and 100 g of cold potatoes and have coffee for breakfast (330 calories 24 carbs / 2 sugar);
    8 oz of Trader Joe's 8 veggie chopped salad (I buy 3 containers and add 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar and unrefined sea salt and mix it up in a zip lock and keep in the fridge) and 3 oz either chicken or turkey for lunch (170 calories 21 carbs / 8 sugar)
    1.5 oz EPIC meat protein bar (under 150 calories) as pm snack
    Protein, Veggies, and veggie carb or a small amount of rice or pasta (usually 1/2 serving that is precooked and then thrown in to my meat drippings or broth is my dinner.

Other nutritional information can be found at the weston a price foundation: https://www.westonaprice.org/abcs-of-nutrition/

Because realistically rather than yo-yo dieting and gaining it all back, it is better to make a lifestyle change and adopt it for your household as a long term permanent thing.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Many of the paleo recipes are keto friendly. I used Paleo Leap and Paleo Tribe. Also check the Atkins website they have free recipes.

As an aside, long term you need at least 100 grams of carbs to keep your bowels happy and your thyroid functioning.

If you pick carbs like beans, sweet potatoes, cold boiled potatoes, lentils, pumpkin, winter squash, and add small amounts of occasional rice or pasta you can successfully be on a low carb, low sugar / high protein, high fat diet without being constipated because your bowel is accustomed to your eating a lot more carbs to create certain bacteria which you need to assist with digestion and motility.

Sometimes, some people experience things like their hair falling out or have flu-like symptoms if they restrict carbs long term. I lost 40 pounds doing a modified keto diet using a lot of paleo recipes and the body fat has gradually disappeared and I have very little sagging skin.

M-F I generally eat:
    2 HB eggs and 100 g of cold potatoes and have coffee for breakfast (330 calories 24 carbs / 2 sugar);
    8 oz of Trader Joe's 8 veggie chopped salad (I buy 3 containers and add 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar and unrefined sea salt and mix it up in a zip lock and keep in the fridge) and 3 oz either chicken or turkey for lunch (170 calories 21 carbs / 8 sugar)
    1.5 oz EPIC meat protein bar (under 150 calories) as pm snack
    Protein, Veggies, and veggie carb or a small amount of rice or pasta (usually 1/2 serving that is precooked and then thrown in to my meat drippings or broth is my dinner.

Other nutritional information can be found at the weston a price foundation: https://www.westonaprice.org/abcs-of-nutrition/

Because realistically rather than yo-yo dieting and gaining it all back, it is better to make a lifestyle change and adopt it for your household as a long term permanent thing.

The only thing that I would disagree with in your post is the bolded. Yes, your thyroid need glucose to function, but there is no reason to ingest that glucose in the form of carbs - the body will manufacture any glucose that it doesn't get from the diet. Also, just as an N=1, I rarely reach 100 grams of carbs in a day and (this may be TMI) I am regular as clockwork every morning between 9 and 10.

I also second the suggestion to come over and check out the low carber's group - they are very friendly and helpful in supporting the low-carb/keto lifestyle.
  • Jbearbarnes
    Jbearbarnes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    FatGma2018 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone, I'm trying the keto diet as a new lifestyle change! Any suggestions, recipes, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Me too! Fat Gma, I mean!
    I've been on MFP off and on for years, but at the urging of our Dr hubs and I started fully on Keto last week. I researched Keto and began reducing carbs gradually before that. I've lost 12 lbs since 1/15.

My highest weight was 320. Goal 150ish. I'm now at 279!!! I am hopeful Keto will be what I need to get my weight under control for good. Our Dr had us watch YouTube videos by Dr Eric Berg. I chose Dietdoctor.com to help with meals, shopping, and getting started on this.

My hubs wasn't on board with Keto until after eating a few of the terrific Dietdoctor.com recipes and then watching Dr Berg videos that explain the science of all this.

I welcome you to add me for support and menu ideas!