Tips to prevent emotional eating

Options
I don't binge, but when I have a stressful day or have a particularly emotional day, I tend to have an unhealthy meal or snack. A chocolate, cookie, pizza, fries, chips. I don't go crazy with it but I want to break the habit because I know it's bad.

What are some good tips or good alternatives?

I can't do carrot sticks, although I do like them occasionally.

Replies

• fibrofat2fibrofit
    fibrofat2fibrofit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have that little sosomething but keep it within your calorie allowance if ur in the uk I can reccomend a few low calorie snacks I use for times like that
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Have that little sosomething but keep it within your calorie allowance if ur in the uk I can reccomend a few low calorie snacks I use for times like that

I am in the US but would still love to hear your recommendations as I could still try to find something similar :)
  • fibrofat2fibrofit
    fibrofat2fibrofit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Over here we have things called go ahead chocolate covered pretzels there under 100 cals a bag and really help if I have a chocolate craving, potato chis that are the "puffed" kind can be pretty low on calories too
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Try to replace eating with exercise whenever possible. A ten minute walk can be surprisingly refreshing.

Chew some mint gum. The chewing relieves stress and the mint flavor makes a lot of foods taste funky.

Try a nice hot low calorie beverage instead of eating. A cup of tea or coffee warms your stomach and can be quite comforting.

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I don't binge, but when I have a stressful day or have a particularly emotional day, I tend to have an unhealthy meal or snack. A chocolate, cookie, pizza, fries, chips. I don't go crazy with it but I want to break the habit because I know it's bad.

I would work on your thinking toward foods being "bad". Personally, I enjoy at least one nutritionally poor food every day. Today for example, it was frozen yogurt with sour patch kids and caramel sauce. It fit into my calorie and macro goals and was very enjoyable. Thus, not "bad".
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Hot ginger or genmai tea!
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    RA60172 wrote: »
    I have been diagnosed with Bipolar, Anxiety, and PTSD, so I have trouble on the super emotional days, as well. Honestly, I have to force myself to get out of the house. A walk around the block, even when it's super cold out, does wonders for me. Sometimes I'll have a cup of flavored coffee, as that tends to cater to my desire for something sweet, plus coffee tends to kill my appetite for a few hours. Drinking lots of water, yoga, and practicing mindfulness can also help.

I try not to find "healthy" alternatives to "unhealthy" meals/snacks, as it's not actually solving the problem of emotional eating. It villifies complete groups of foods and just puts a band-aid on the issue.

This is great advice, thank you for sharing. I have been trying to be more mindful lately and am transitioning into more of a minimalist lifestyle. I am trying to simplify my meals a bit more too. And I love the idea of going on walks more often and have started that too!
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Try to replace eating with exercise whenever possible. A ten minute walk can be surprisingly refreshing.

Chew some mint gum. The chewing relieves stress and the mint flavor makes a lot of foods taste funky.

Try a nice hot low calorie beverage instead of eating. A cup of tea or coffee warms your stomach and can be quite comforting.

Thanks! I brought tea today to try this out! just brewed some actually :) I am going to try gum next.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Having a cookie or a piece of pizza isn't unhealthy. Healthy and unhealthy are viewed in context of your entire diet. If that was all you ate then it would be unhealthy, but if it's a small portion of what you ate it's fine. Rather than feeling like you are a bad person for wanting them maybe plan them into your food diary from time to time and you won't feel the need to stress eat them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My best tip would be to stop attaching morality to food. There are no good alternatives to something you crave. It's completely okay to eat food you like.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If it's eating your emotions, rather than what you're eating, finding a hobby you enjoy that either gets your hands dirty, or alternatively you need clean hands for can be helpful
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

My biggest tip is to hit the gym when you are in an emotional state or feel the need to binge. Let that be your "therapy" in a way.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

My biggest tip is to hit the gym when you are in an emotional state or feel the need to binge. Let that be your "therapy" in a way.

Yep. The gym is definitely my therapy!
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options

I do this already! Crossfit is my therapy, keeps me from losing my mind, lol but I was more talking about when something awful happens and you feel emotional and have the urge to eat junk. I think I just need to stay active or distract myself and eat something that is healthier but satisfies my urge.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It depends... does eating that chocolate bar make you feel better, or worse?

I found out some *kitten* (and unexpected) news about my dogs health on Friday night. I had fast food for dinner because I wasn't in the mood to cook afterwards, and then had a chocolate bar later because I was feeling down and wanted it. I felt better after I ate it. I went over my calories for the day, but felt better overall so that's what mattered to me.

I think.... if eating the food makes you feel better, then eat it. Within reason obviously, try not to binge 2000 plus cals because you feel sad, because that's going to make you feel worse in the end. But if eating a chocolate bar, or a serving of ice cream or chips makes you feel better, do it. It's only 200-300 calories, that's not a big deal.

I know we all hear that we have to stop emotional eating and all that, but really... some days that chocolate bar is going to work a heck of a lot better for my mood than an hour at the gym. And some days it's the opposite. Just have to find the right balance.