Question on sodium?

Hi!
I have recently started tracking my sodium including the salt I add to my meals and i seem to be going into the red a lot. I have never believed sodium to be a concern for me as I am young and active with no health issues however I am consuming about 3000 to 3500 mg a day, is this too much?
I cook most of my food from scratch however I do add salt to my cooking and then again when I am eating.
How much sodium do you usually consume a day and does it concern you ?

Replies

• Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Not sure so much on sodium, I think 3000 would be higher. I always staying under my 2300 mg, I find I am less bloated
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I don’t track my sodium intake. I took that and sugar out and put fiber on. Unless you have a medical reason to watch your intake, I wouldn’t worry about it.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    I don't worry about mine. If anything I have low blood pressure, and while I might notice additional bloating if I went low sodium for awhile and then increased it, what I haven't experienced doesn't bother me. Besides, it's hard enough for me to hit the fiber and protein recommendations without worrying about sodium too.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    I drink a lot of water and I'm pretty good at sweating so I don't track/worry about it. I just usually go by taste. If things start tasting salty I've had enough, if I'm craving salt (it tends to have a sweeter taste) then I need a bit more. Not something I really worry about though.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    I also try to stay under 2300 mg. I feel gross when I have too much.
  • Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    The more sodium you eat, the more water you should drink to dilute it. Make sure you're drinking 80-100 oz of water a day and you should be fine. It may not be causing you problems now, but ingesting too much sodium over time can lead to health problems
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Thanks for the reply’s everyone, I think I am going to try and cut back a bit just on what I’m adding to my food.
    It’s hard though because I do love salt!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I monitor my sodium, and manually changed it to 1500. That said I often go over 1500 but definitely I try to stay below 2300. I used to add salt to my food after cooked, but I've stopped doing it. It is pointless to try and monitor and control water retention, as there can be many factors, but when I stopped adding salt to my food and put a lower threshhold for my sodium intake, I do have less water retention, and also see more downward movement on the scale.