I want to stop growing quads...

Options
Ok, I’m on a glute building mission here. I have always been quad dominant and already have pretty big quads. I have been running Strong Curves for several months and I’ve noticed my quads have grown, too.

Now, I know there are exercises that activate the glutes more effectively (hip thrusts, RDLs) and I’m wondering if I should just start sticking to those. Would it be a bad idea to stop doing squats? Is there any way to stop growing my quads (or keep the growth minimal)?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't remember, but are you currently bulking? Keep in mind if you tend to gain fat in the lower body it can seem like your quads are getting huge when you bulk.. this happens to me everytime!! But then when I cut down again.. woosh.. away it goes and I'm left with my normal sized quads again.

In the chance that you are very quad-dominant and tend to put muscle on there more quickly, you can work more on glute activation beforehand, you could avoid progressive overload on quad-focused movements (such as squats). There are many glute exercises Bret Contreras indicates that don't engage the legs as much.. but you start to do that and you also really limit your glute growth, as well as your overall strength unfortunately.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I DID want to bulk, but I don’t think it’s a good time to do it. My baby is up a lot at night and I am not getting much sleep at this point in my life. So I’m already fighting the urge to overeat during the day (because I’m tired) and sometimes I’m fatigued for my workouts. SO I think I’m probably in the recomp camp at this point. I put on too much fat over Christmas so I’m cutting a bit before I up my calories to maintenance. In the process of leaning out I’m noticing GOSH... my quads.

So what you’re saying is, keep doing squats, but no progressive overload for them? I don’t want to limit glute growth and honestly, if I have to grow quads at the expense of growing glutes then I’ll just take it.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    I think I’m probably in the recomp camp at this point. I put on too much fat over Christmas so I’m cutting a bit before I up my calories to maintenance. In the process of leaning out I’m noticing GOSH... my quads.

So what you’re saying is, keep doing squats, but no progressive overload for them? I don’t want to limit glute growth and honestly, if I have to grow quads at the expense of growing glutes then I’ll just take it.

Are your quads getting larger in a deficit/recomp? Or is the muscle showing more? Sometimes I flex funny and they budge but they are still smaller than when I started lifting (and were probably all fat).. I know this because my old pants fit.. up to the glutes of course haha.

Squats would be the main one. He says even hip thrusts engage more leg vs bridges but they are such a significant glute builder you would be really do yourself a disservice if you cut them out.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Also if you are squatting a lot in your day to day life that can add up too.. especially with a progressively larger load on your back? ;)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you’re not in a surplus, you aren’t building Muscle. You might be getting leaner and showing definition.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    OK… Truth be told I am a terrible logger and if I had to guess, I’d guess that overtime, I’ve probably been in more of a surplus since I started the program. It’s only been in the last couple months I’ve made an effort to start leaning out (with a break over Christmas that set me back). But yes, it could be more that I’m leaning out and just seeing more definition... but either way! I don’t want to grow my quads any bigger! Lol. I do squat a freaking LOT ALL DAY LONG picking up toys, taking toddlers to the potty, changing diapers on the floor… @sardelsa - I will follow your advice and not try to go heavier progressively on my squats anymore.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you’re not in a surplus, you aren’t building Muscle. You might be getting leaner and showing definition.

This.

Also to add...conventional deadlifts and lowbar squats will be the most efficient glute/hammy weighted lifts to build a well rounded leg. That is if you have access to a barbell and enough weights to adequately stimulate muscles and force adaptation.

As far as squats go in your case, I would shy away from of fronts, goblets, high bar anything that keeps your torso more upright. Also get femurs just below parallel, anything lower (ATG) or higher is going to utilize more quads.
  • cosmicglitterkitten
    Options
    Glute activation before sets is key. Pay attention to the mind muscle connection and note which movements give you the most glute contraction. Then base your workout around performing those movements heavy at the beginning of your workout. Play around with external rotation of your leg as you contract and see if it helps with engagement.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    FWIW, if you use your legs, you're going to be using your hips, quads and glutes.

The amount of each just varies w/the type of exercise, lift or activity involved.

Deadlifts more qlutes. Squats more quads. Lunges more quads Stairmaster more glutes. Hip thrust just glutes. Wide stance box squats more glutes.

If you're worried about building up your quads too much, just do those exercises that work the glutes more.