5:2 diet?

Options
Contemplating staring this as it’s been successful for my sister in law, just wondering other people’s opinions, take on this diet? Thanks.

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It's more of a "way of eating" than a diet. But that being said, it will work for you only if it's sustainable for you, and puts you in a calorie deficit. I eat this way as a way to control my calories for the week, but it's not magic. Weight management still comes down to calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's more of a "way of eating" than a diet. But that being said, it will work for you only if it's sustainable for you, and puts you in a calorie deficit. I eat this way as a way to control my calories for the week, but it's not magic. Weight management still comes down to calories.

What he said. If the 500 calorie days don't cause you to massively overeat the following day, it'll work.
  • ksmills25
    ksmills25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest struggle will be snacking, especially at night!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    500 calorie days? That’s breakfast.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    doesn't appeal to me, but i know a lot of people who have been successful with it.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    ksmills25 wrote: »
    I think my biggest struggle will be snacking, especially at night!

Fit the snacking into your day. There's a 5:2 group around here somewhere that may be able to help if this is really what you decide to do. But you'd eat at maintenance for 5 days, then on 2 non-consecutive days, you'd eat 500 calories (600 for men). Again, only going to lose weight if you are in a deficit overall.
  • Mattmuff2017
    Mattmuff2017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I kind of did it and it worked , but it wasn't an intentional 5:2 diet.

I just found that Monday to Friday it was easy for me to stay on track and stay motivated. Stuck to my calorie intake and exercised.
    Then Saturdays and Sundays were more relaxed. I'd have some beer/wine, nice big meals and maybe some sweet stuff but never went crazy.

I was losing a steady 1-2lbs per week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I just found that Monday to Friday it was easy for me to stay on track and stay motivated. Stuck to my calorie intake and exercised.
    Then Saturdays and Sundays were more relaxed. I'd have some beer/wine, nice big meals and maybe some sweet stuff but never went crazy.

Yeah that’s not 5:2. 5:2 is eating only 500-600 calories two days out of the week and eating at maintenance the other five days.
  • Mattmuff2017
    Mattmuff2017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Yeah that’s not 5:2. 5:2 is eating only 500-600 calories two days out of the week and eating at maintenance the other five days.

Oh haha! well, I prefer my version ;)