What are the best bean chips?

Options
I am looking for a replacement for Tostitos, I was thinking bean chips which ones taste the best and which ones are good on the amount you get on calories

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I've tried Beanfields Sea Salt and Beanitos Black Bean chips. Both are good. Beanfields chips are triangle-cut and a bit thicker than Beanitos. They're both 140 cals for 10 chips.

Tostitos also has a black bean chip. Theirs has more seasonings (oregano, garlic, rosemary). I haven't tried them.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    There's like two brands lol. Try them. I don't think they're that much lower in calorie but you can get them in small bags/portions unlike tortilla chips which could help with portion control.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well even if the calories end up being the same they have to be more nutritious right? I’m good with portion control I just weigh out exactly how many go in each serving and pre bag it
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Well even if the calories end up being the same they have to be more nutritious right? I’m good with portion control I just weigh out exactly how many go in each serving and pre bag it

Eh? Not really. Let's someone pull up the nutrition info. I guess I don't concern myself with it because most of my diet is nutritious.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So why is my sister paying all this money for bean chips if they are the same nutritionaly lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    So why is my sister paying all this money for bean chips if they are the same nutritionaly lol

Because beans sound more healthy than corn?!?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

Because beans sound more healthy than corn?!?

Or she likes the bean ones better?

Personally, I like both, though only occasionally - neither is a top favorite food, especially in a context (such as "real life" ;) ) where I manage my eating to balance tastiness, nutrition and satiety in a way that pleases me, within a calorie budget.

That said, since I like both, and I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian who works at increasing protein where I can (even in small increments), I'd go for the bean chips if I wanted homemade nachos for dinner, but the Doritos if I had surplus calories available, was already at protein goal, and wanted a small salty standalone treat.

I do suspect that the aura of "healthy" around bean chips, and "evil processed junk food" around Doritos, lead to some people selecting bean chips. ;)

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Funny, I JUST read an MFP Hello Healthy blog (which I normally avoid like the plague) about this. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/goodbye-mr-potato-chip/

My opinion - unless you prefer the taste, probably not worth substituting. Negligible extra nutritional value and calorie/fat/sodium savings. Chips are a 'sometimes/rarely' food for me, and even then only in carefully measured portions. No more eating from the bag or pouring them out onto my plate! As such, when I do eat them I can usually fit them into my calorie and macro goals for the day.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I love beanitos
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Beanitos have that toasted bean flavor with a texture that attracts me. I like them.
    I take them on plane trips cause they don't raise my blood glucose like other carby chips.I won't buy plane food so just bring my own.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I would choose Beanitos, because I like the flavor better.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Beanitos has 30g of protein and 30g of fiber per bag. And you will eventually eat that whole bag. So that's more than negligible compared to tortilla chips.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Chips <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3