High Blood Pressure

Options
Hello All,

I have recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure. It was so high at one point that I was sent from work to the ER and hospitalized. I do not have blockages or bad heart vessels etc...Stress test abnormal due to BP. The doctors have ruled out heart issues. However, I am overweight. 5'8: 231lb female. I have since joined the gym and have began to count calories, drink lots of water and eat healthy to kick start my new lifestyle and lose about 70 lbs. Any other suggestions???? I wish to lower my blood pressure so that I do not develop additional health issues. Its very unnerving! Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Weight loss along with a healthy diet and exercising will do wonders!! Are they monitoring you? or given you the clearence to exercise?
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Are you taking medication? You will likely have to reduce your meds as you become healthier, so as the poster above noted make sure you are being monitored and that you are exercising safely. When I lost 50+ lbs I cut my medication in half but I've never been able to come right off of it. Just do the best you can!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far. Weight loss had the biggest impact on me. You will also want to reduce the salt in your diet.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Monitor your sodium intake. I take meds and a daily water pill for my BP. I almost passed out on a plane when they were getting my meds regulated and I figured out it was because I had eaten extremely salty food (mexican) before I boarded. Wont make that mistake again. Did you buy a BP monitor for yourself so you can check it regularly?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In addition to the steps you are taking, all good ones, how is your stress level? Have you considered meditation?
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You are on the right path. Have your blood pressure checked a few times/wk and record the numbers so you can review it with your doctor during your next visit. Good Luck.
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    In addition to the steps you are taking, all good ones, how is your stress level? Have you considered meditation?

This. My diet was exercising was on point but my BP still went up and I think it was due to stress and overtraining. Definitely don't stress out! Meditation worked pretty well for me.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I came off mine at about 40 lbs gone and have monitored it ever since, with consistently great results. One of my friends on here was just removed from hers, as well. I'd suggest getting a nice monitor (about $30) and checking it first thing every morning or once a week. Increase exercise as your doctor permits and keep losing weight and watching sodium. And heck, even if you don't come off of them, the other health benefits will make it all worth it!
  • cluv2001
    cluv2001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for such helpful advise.

I recently placed a call into my Doctor asking if I am clear to perform cardio exercise. I will start mediation today, if it will help to relieve my stress level. I have been monitoring my BP each morning, before taking my meds. It has been good for the past two weeks. Today not so much. Not sure why...

Thanks again everyone!!!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have lost quite a large amount of weight and have been able to get both of my blood pressure medications. Stick with your program and you will be off those meds in no time. I would suggest you take them as long as the doc says to and be patient. The only exercise I have done is regular walking daily.
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Please please please get all diet and exercise clearance from your physician. If you were sent to the ED and kept, it’s likely you are were at a risk for a stroke. Please familiarize yourself and those around you for signs and symptoms of a stroke so you can be treated ASAP.

You should have your physician familiarize yourself with the side effects of your particular BP med. If you have questions, ask them again and again until you are clear.

If your physician doesn’t give you dietary or exercise specifics, you may want to consider only changing one thing at a time. Example: start with your med first and see how you feel. Then add a sensible diet plan next that focuses on well-balanced nutrition instead of promised quick results. After a few weeks of that, start your exercise slow. Walking and light weights. Gradually increase intensity.
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation as you. Losing weight will definitely help lower your blood pressure but I would also highly recommend cutting out prepackaged and pre-prepared food. (Basically ready to eat frozen food in a box) There is so much sodium, sugar and crap in those foods. Cook at home as much as you can so you can control what goes into your body.
  • pumpkincup
    pumpkincup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right path. I too am a 5'8" female weighing in at 231lbs (no kidding) with high BP. It's good to know I'm not the only one who needs to lose 70lbs! :) What is working for me? I'm eating a low sugar diet (that's right, sugar not salt). Try to stay under 50g of sugar a day, and under 100g of carbs a day (as recommended to me by a naturopathic doctor). It's helping, really! I've never had a problem with salt, and have always eaten way less than I'm supposed to, so that isn't an issue for me, but is for some. I've also tried yoga and acupuncture for the stress and anxiety (which contribute to my high BP), and I am trying to get more exercise. Lowering stress/anxiety helps lower my systolic number. Exercise helps lower my diastolic number (or at least, that is what I've noticed). And of course, losing the weight will help too. Your situation may be unnerving yes, but not unsolvable! Take your time, and choose what is best for you. I wish you well!
  • 5838fish623
    5838fish623 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    In addition to reducing sodium my doctor recommended increasing my potassium level. Trying to do that will ensure that you eat a healthier diet. Good luck!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    cluv2001 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I have recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure. It was so high at one point that I was sent from work to the ER and hospitalized. I do not have blockages or bad heart vessels etc...Stress test abnormal due to BP. The doctors have ruled out heart issues. However, I am overweight. 5'8: 231lb female. I have since joined the gym and have began to count calories, drink lots of water and eat healthy to kick start my new lifestyle and lose about 70 lbs. Any other suggestions???? I wish to lower my blood pressure so that I do not develop additional health issues. Its very unnerving! Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Track your sodium intake. Some people are sensitive to sodium. My BP was running high about 140-150/85, this was about a year ago. I was able to bring it down to 115/80 by losing weight, reducing sodium in my diet, and by reducing stress in my life.