How to Make Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese to Taste good?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) there is no fixing cottage cheese- it's gross.

2.) greek yogurt VERY much depends on the brand- I only eat TWO brands- cabot and fage. The others are crap .

If you don't like greek yogurt though- don't eat it.

But the way I eat it: greek yogurt +vanilla protein + berries + granola = delicious afternoon snack. High protein and tasty. win win.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I will never willingly eat cottage cheese unless it's disguised with something. Maybe mixed in with a quiche or something like that. I hate cottage cheese.
    Greek yogurt is okay... I get the plain and add a tiny bit of sugar-free lemonade flavor crystals to it to make it taste like lemon yogurt. It actually works out pretty well.
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 powder, drizzle a touch of honey in plain greek yogurt
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nutrition almond butter, two tablespoons, 7g protein, 200 calories.

Pork tenderloin, 8 oz, 47g protein, 242 calories.

https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/view/pork-tenderloin,1785/
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I make my own greek -ish yogurt. For my most recent batch I used enough powder to make 6 quarts of milk.
    There were 2 packets for fat free milk, and 4 measures for whole milk. I mixed that with 2 quarts of 115 degree F tap water.
    I held it in a crock pot at 115 degrees F and kept it there for 8 hours and had thick, creamy yogurt. I mix in peanut powder and some other stuff for flavor and texture at the time of actually consuming it.

For most of the 8 hours, the crock pot was "off" and the heat was held in by two towels covering it. I'd check the temperature every 30-minutes to 1 hour. If I needed to raise the temperature, I'd set the crock pot to warm for a few minutes. It's supposed to be much easier with an Instant Pot.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    PB2, sliced banana and chia seeds in Greek yogurt. It too away my craving for a PB & banana sandwich on crunchy sprouted wheat toast.
  • mabelgrex
    mabelgrex Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like it plain but eating enough to get that much protein might be tedious
  • annjohnson75244
    annjohnson75244 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I mix a scoop of protein powder with two cups of non-fat greek yogurt. I use www.gnc.com/whey-protein/RevolutionNutritionWheyIsolateSplash.html in Gummy Bear but there are several other options, within that family of product as well as other protein powders. I then will either portion it into 1/2 cup popcicle cups and freeze or eat 1/2 cup at a time. The powder increases the protein kick and offers flavor and sweetness.

I've also used dry ranch dressing to spice up both the yogurt and cottage cheese. Then it's like eating chip dip straight. You might try other dressing options that go well with a creamy texture or explore the Mrs. Dash options if you're also watching your sodium.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Nutrition almond butter, two tablespoons, 7g protein, 200 calories.

Pork tenderloin, 8 oz, 47g protein, 242 calories.

https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/view/pork-tenderloin,1785/

Now you're talking
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    mabelgrex wrote: »
    I like it plain but eating enough to get that much protein might be tedious

1 cup of plain Greek yogurt is about 22g protein for 190 cals or so depending on the brand and fat content. Not too bad really
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    don't buy 0%, opt for 3-6%, tastes much much better

Truth.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you do not want to add sugar to your greek yogurt, use it as a sour cream base. To me, it tastes just like sour cream straight from the container. I add stevia and frozen blueberries for a snack or I add it to my taco dishes as sour cream.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have greek yogurt every morning and I add one of these (only 35 calories and adds a lot of flavor)
    j8wp33vddt6k.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you do not want to add sugar to your greek yogurt, use it as a sour cream base. To me, it tastes just like sour cream straight from the container. I add stevia and frozen blueberries for a snack or I add it to my taco dishes as sour cream.

I actually use greek yogurt for anything with sour cream- and with mayo. Because I can't finish a container of either of these- but I keep greek yogurt in my house all the time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The best way to use 0% greek yogurt really is to eat it with roasted potatoes. I also like it as a side with spicy foods or sometimes with a vegetable omelet (although cottage cheese is better for that purpose, and also goes great with avocados, no toast for me).

2% I like with berries or apples or peaches.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that says you have to eat those foods to lose weight, so if they aren't to your liking, then eat something you enjoy. Don't waste your precious calories on disappointment.

That said, I hated Greek yogurt two years ago, but it took some trial and error of different brands and flavors to find ones that I liked. Now it's a regular part of my diet.

I've always loved cottage cheese. Also eat it regularly.
  • Ebony_Kitty
    Ebony_Kitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I make tziaki (spelling??) with Greek yogurt, cucumber, and dill (I hate garlic) and eat with baby carrots.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think they both taste awesome as is. I eat a whole medium tub of 0% Fage in a sitting. I dunno. Put some stevia in the yogurt, protein power, fruit.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I also like both, but my go-to for cottage cheese is to mix in homemade applesauce or apple butter.
  • hannahrlocke2095
    Options
    Cottage cheese is so much better when you put fruit in it. I prefer the cuties, or halos. But honestly anything juicy. Sounds weird, tastes great.