Simple meal prep ideas?

Options
adambrown01
adambrown01 Posts: 24 Member
Alright MFP Community,

I could use some help. I am official tired of searching the internet for meal prep ideas. It seems like no matter what I search for I get a way too fancy food site that has 50 pictures of food and someones life story associated to every damn meal AND OMG WHAT IT ONLY TAKES 10 MINUTES OR LESS.

Just... sick of it.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • SIMPLE meal prep ideas. Less ingredients is good. Less time in the kitchen - even better.
  • The more meals the better. Seems like there are a lot of recipes out there that make 3 meals. Not quite ideal for me. If I could meal prep once a week, that'd be pretty sweet.
  • Healthy options. Complex carbs and unsaturated fats.

To give more context and help steer responses - my current go to meal prep for lunch is brown rice and chicken. I'll put some seasoning on the chicken if I'm feeling fancy. See? Simple. I'll also do a muselli. Now that one I love. Dump a bunch of stuff into a big zip lock bag and I have a weeks worth of breakfast.

So that's it gang. I don't have a ton of time to spend in the kitchen and to be honest I dont like cooking. And just to throw it out there - yes I very much realize that I'm asking for a lot. I dont expect a lot of responses but if I get a few ideas that will help branch out on my current meal preps that will be a win in my book.

Thanks in advance everyone!
-Adam

Replies

• adambrown01
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack ideas are all welcome!
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    maybe try some easy slow cooker meals? if you are a red meat eater, i used to make pot roast for my ex. with potatoes and carrots. they take a long time to cook though but are usually pretty simple. nice for making a lot at once.
  • adambrown01
    edited January 2018
    Options
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    maybe try some easy slow cooker meals? if you are a red meat eater, i used to make pot roast for my ex. with potatoes and carrots. they take a long time to cook though but are usually pretty simple. nice for making a lot at once.

Yeah! Great idea. I'd do chicken or turkey instead. Now to figure out how long to slow cook proteins! :D
  • simbame1
    simbame1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do a pork roast in the slow cooker as well. I like sauerkraut but you can just do vegetables. It would make a lot of meals for one person.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Instead of finding things that only take ten minutes or so to fix, consider bulk cooking. I often make a huge pot of soup and freeze portions, usually have at least 3 different soups in the freezer. Same with meat sauce, chili etc., cook once, have X meals. I personally don't like cooking only 1 or 2 portions of something, it takes almost the same amount of time as it does to make 7 or whatever portions.
  • adambrown01
    Options
    Instead of finding things that only take ten minutes or so to fix, consider bulk cooking. I often make a huge pot of soup and freeze portions, usually have at least 3 different soups in the freezer. Same with meat sauce, chili etc., cook once, have X meals. I personally don't like cooking only 1 or 2 portions of something, it takes almost the same amount of time as it does to make 7 or whatever portions.

I hadn't considered this at all. I'll check it out!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

Yeah! Great idea. I'd do chicken or turkey instead. Now to figure out how long to slow cook proteins! :D

That will depend on it's form, i.e., whole chicken pieces or ground turkey. Be careful if you cook chicken (or any meat) on the bone in a slow cooker. If cooked for too long the bones can break and make a mess of your meal.

Bulk cooking is a good idea, especially if you can freeze things. That way you have more of a variety rather than eating the same thing for 3 - 4 days.

I dislike recipes that have way too much story and pics, too, so I avoid blogs for that reason. Simple sites like allrecipes.com or epicurious.com are helpful.
  • BladedKiwi
    BladedKiwi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try this....

6oz tuna, 1 tbsp light mayo, .5 tbsp relish(or cut up pickles), hard boiled egg, 30g celery, 4oz cucumber with peel. slice up celery and cucumber. mix tuna, mayo,relish and cut up egg and the celery. Season the mixture if you like. Then place the mixture on top of cucumbers and eat. <--- can be made ahead even. Also, don't have to cut up cucumbers or celery. Could use them as dipping sticks for the meat.

Tortilla plus scrambled eggs

shrimp + half inch of water and a little butter and seasonings like garlic, oregano, herb medley. cook until pink and then a couple more minutes if you don't like shrimp to taste fishy. Add with steamed veggies, and if you have time put the steamed veggies into the broiler for a couple minutes for a grilled taste.

put shrimp in water and boil until pink + a couple minutes for no fishyness, immediately drain and run under cold water, then add a little cocktail sauce and a lemon squeeze.

turkey burgers like ones from costco are simple and easy to make.

if you have 15min, this one is pretty good...
    1/4 cup pinto beans from can, .5 ounce of fat free ranch, tortilla triangle chips, 2 oz diced Tomatoes ( or canned diced tomatoes works) 5.5 oz shredded chicken ( i use canned chicken breast to shred) Add beans and chicken and a little bit of water just for keeping things moist into a pot on medium heat, warm it and then add ranch and tomatoes and add taco seasonings and cook until warm or simmer it a little more for the tomatoes to get mushy and create more liquid. They wont create much but just a little bit extra. Then, put on a plate and crunch up like 4 chips and add raw diced onion or shredded lettuce if you like.

There's my favorite go to quick meals. the ratio's are for my diet at the moment, feel free to adjust.

Hope that helps, I personally hate figuring out meals all the time and totally hate the fancy meal sites..things should be simple

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    pre made salads, other pre made single meals (snap kitchen has some good ones - bit pricey though), tuna, spaghetti squash + ground turkey + pasta sauce + mushrooms and/or artichoke hearts, etc (whatever you want to add).
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Also, a really good cookbook to have is Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. Lots of easy recipes and everything I've made from there has come out good. Common ingredients, nothing fancy. Your basic kitchen bible.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I made turkey meatloaf in a muffin tin and mashed cauliflower tonight. I put two meatloaves and a serving of cauliflower in meal prep containers. I also made quinoa. I add stuff to the quinoa for bowls or salads for lunch.

Quinoa + corn + black beans + cilantro + lime Juice + olive oil
    Quinoa + parsley + tomato + cucumber + red onion + lemon Juice + olive oil
    Quinoa + shredded carrot + cucumber + shredded chicken + lime juice + cilantro + crushed peanuts

I like sheet pan meals. You can roast a protein, a carb and veggies on one sheet pan in the oven. Then divide into containers. Sheet pans are great for meal prep. You can divide it into sections with foil and season chicken three ways. I have seen someone do roasted chickpeas that way for snacks. https://fitmencook.com/time-saving-chicken-meal-prep/ forkly.com/recipes/one-pan-roasted-chickpeas-4-ways/

A pot of chili can be used many ways too. On salad as a taco salad, in a sweet potato for stuffed potato, over brown rice, etc.

I know you said you are tired of blogs and so on. But it is worth mentioning that these YouTube channels do tons of meal prep: Domestic Geek, Fit Couple Cooks (did a full week video recently and just released a book), Fit Men Cook, Mind Over Munch, Flavcity with Bobby Parrish.
  • Angieve1
    Angieve1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Easy recipe for slow cooker. I put a nice size pork roast on low for 6 to 8 hours depending on the size then I let it cool off and it will make an awesome pulled pork to put in rice with veggies or to eat in a wrap with my favorits veggies a little cheese. I cook my roast with no salt added I just add pepper to taste.
  • adambrown01
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

That will depend on it's form, i.e., whole chicken pieces or ground turkey. Be careful if you cook chicken (or any meat) on the bone in a slow cooker. If cooked for too long the bones can break and make a mess of your meal.

Bulk cooking is a good idea, especially if you can freeze things. That way you have more of a variety rather than eating the same thing for 3 - 4 days.

I dislike recipes that have way too much story and pics, too, so I avoid blogs for that reason. Simple sites like allrecipes.com or epicurious.com are helpful.

Wonderful advice. Thank you.
  • adambrown01
    Options
    Thank you all for taking time to share your ideas! I really didn't think I would get this much help. :)
  • Bailey00030
    Bailey00030 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cooking on Sunday and it lasts for most of the week. Crustless quiche for breakfast (quick to make and it is six servings. Add in whatever veggies you like). Baked Oatmeal- makes 6 servings. Mason jar salads- the one quart mason jars filled with lettuce/veggies/chicken- they last 5-6 days-perfect for lunches). I also make either a chicken/black bean chili or a homemade soup and have this for my dinners with a veg or salad. I work a lot so cooking for the week really helps me stay on track. I also do turkey meatloaf in a muffin pan- 12 servings and great for portion control.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hard boil 18 eggs as snacks to have on hand. Cook 2 lbs. ground turkey and two bags of those Bird's Eye protein blends (they literally go in the microwave, so easy). BAM. Meal prep made simple.
  • LaughHappy907
    LaughHappy907 Posts: 44 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Soup, like really. I make a pot of soup on Sunday - maybe 30 minutes actual active cooking time - and have enough food for 6 meals. If you have a bigger pot than I do, you'd make more meals. Its really easy; just pick a bunch of veggies you like, I typically go for cabbage, carrots, celery, squash, tomatoes, corn, whatever I have on hand either fresh or frozen. Then add a source of protein to keep you full - chicken, tofu, beans, pork, whatever. Add water/stock and season it. It can be that simple. Just tweak it till its something you can eat lots of. Its really easy to track the recipe too, just weigh the whole ingredient going into the pot and make the number of servings the number of total means you get out of it.

I've made soups that keep me full at 180 calories for a 2 cup serving and more decadent 280 per 2 cup serving, just by adjusting what ingredient you use that week.

OH and the cheapo ziploc twist off lid containers are 2 cups and do a good job of not letting the soup spill all over your lunch bag. I use my store's bargain brand. They are like $1.99 for 4 of em.
  • adambrown01
    Options
    Very cool. Thank you guys.
  • mic1018
    mic1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Make a big batch of your favorite tuna salad or chicken salad. Portion it into 5 containers. To each container, add celery sticks, carrot sticks, olives, and a couple of cubes of cheese. Store in fridge. Eat as is, or add crackers, or a wrap for variety.