Struggling with my motivation

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to use MFP for nearly 2 weeks now. The first week went ok, lost a good bit of weight. But I have been struggling with my motivation. I want to work out and eat well, I want to lose weight.. so why do I self-sabotage and not go to the gym or track what I am eating. I do want this... I want to get back to how I feel comfortable and I want to feel fit and healthy.

How do you all motivate yourselves? I need some words of wisdom...

Katie xx

Replies

• Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    Hey,

I have been on here about a month now and sometimes it is hard, but give it all time...don't worry too much about missing the odd gym session, you should still lose weight if you are keeping in with the calories.

I am obsessed with logging everything on here so not sure how to help encouragement with that, i enjoy seeing how many calories i'm under :o)

my motivation is my fiance and a lady at work, they're always encouraging me and that is the biggest help.

I've always wanted to lose weight but it's not until this time that somethings twigged and it comes a little easier, never before have i lasted a month on healthy eating!

Hope that helps, i've probably gabbled on a bit, but i'm shattered :o)

Vikki x
  • jeenarmathew
    jeenarmathew Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    To get motivated look through all the success stories. i was never motivated. before coimg to mfp i had gone for aerobic, gym and everything where i could lose weight. but nothing worked. i used to come back home feel tired and keep eating. just recently i joined. and reading all what other mfp pals and going through the success stories. i have changed my eating habits and right now i am doing the 30 day shred. completed day 20 of level 2. never have i worked out at home for these many days. and i feel so happy. shirts which i couldnt button up at the end , i can now. and one more motivation get dress that is tight for u and u want to wear. that will surely help. if any doubts in mind. post it here. u will surely get replies. we all a team dear. keep trying. u look great now and lttle more trying and u will look fabulous.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to use MFP for nearly 2 weeks now. The first week went ok, lost a good bit of weight. But I have been struggling with my motivation. I want to work out and eat well, I want to lose weight.. so why do I self-sabotage and not go to the gym or track what I am eating. I do want this... I want to get back to how I feel comfortable and I want to feel fit and healthy.

How do you all motivate yourselves? I need some words of wisdom...

Katie xx

The beginning is never easy :-) You have to believe in yourself. Start follow the MFP plan which is great and sometimes is good to see some of the friends here blogs and see the big change that they have had and the happiness that they are feeling now and that might be a good motivation for my friend. Everybody is doing it, everybody can do it and so are you :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • xXxbig_hazel_eyesxXx
    Options
    Thank you all for your support. I do feel much more on track today and ready to take on a new week! xxx
  • aimeercole
    Options
    My motivation is I found a fabulous pair of ridiculously expensive jeans. When I reach my half goal I am going to buy them! I have never had a pair of really nice jeans before (because I was always waiting until I lost the weight, which day never came). This time I am hell bent on buying these jeans and that is keeping me from giving up. Good luck. Just coming to the site for help with motivation shows that you really want to do this, and you will!
  • dave_in_delaware
    dave_in_delaware Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My motivation list:

My wife
    My children
    My friends (real life, in person)
    My Facebook "friends"
    My future job training
    Myself.

I'm horrible at logging on here and entering all my food and exercise stuff. I find it tedious to do this every day, so I haven't been doing it. I know that's a bad thing, since that's one of the points of MFP, but I still use MFP to post my progress and read other success stories. Knowing other, every day normal people just like me have done it, means *I* can do it, too!

I also use Facebook to post my C25K progress. Posting it online for all to see sort of gives you motivation to make sure you keep updating it and when people comment on it, that inspires me to keep going.

Of course my wife gets to see my progress first-hand, and we both reap the benefits. ;)

My kids were one of my original motivators to lose some weight. We were in a grocery store checkout line when my son walks over and hugs me, and makes a comment about how he likes my belly and it being like a pillow (his head was at the same height as my belly). Of course, he said it loud enough for everyone around me to hear it, so they all looked at my gut. I was mortified. Sometimes embarrassment is a great motivator. That's the worst kind of motivator, but it sometimes works. Now they've seen my progress, and they've seen that eating right and exercising is a good thing, so hopefully it'll motivate them to follow in my footsteps (so to speak).

Some of my friends actually started the C25K program before I did. They were talking about it one day at one of our monthly gatherings for dinner. So, i looked into it and decided to try it. It helps to have friends and/or family who share your common ideals and goals, and to encourage you.

I also used my future side career as a motivator. One of the requirements of this new career will be running after fugitives, so I figured learning how to run and getting in shape for it would be a good idea! LOL.

And of course, *I* am my biggest and most important motivator. I wanted to do this for all the reasons listed above, but I wanted to do it to challenge myself, too. I have a desk job so I wanted to get "up and out there" and do something physical. I wanted to do it to see if I could do it....

And I did do it! After 2.5 months I lost more weight than my origianl goal stated. NOW that's a huge motivating factor to keep it up and keep going with it!

And I didn't go on a diet. I knew that wouldn't work. Now I just I eat more often and smaller meals. I didn't eliminate anything from my eating or drinking habits other than regular soda and alcohol (both have a lot of calories that go right to your tummy). I have a huge sweet tooth but I didn't eliminate sweets, I only significantly reduced how much of them I eat. Moderation is a good thing to keep the cravings away. Plus, when you start really getting into exercising, you'll start watching what you eat because you don't want all your hard work and sweat to go right out the window by eating a ton of junk food.

You really have to set your mind to it. Our brains are the biggest demotivators out there. If you have a good attitude, keep a positive outlook, and keep telling yourself you CAN and WILL do it, then you will. It might take time. It might take a lot of effort. It might be tough. But no one said reshaping our bodies was going to be easy. But it will be worth it!

It's a lifestyle change, for the rest of our lives.

And if I can do it, anyone can do it.