Morning workout or Night workout? what do you do?

Replies

• DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Both... gym in a morning, crossfit evening or sometimes morning, swim either/or... no rhythm to it just whatever fits with my day. However... I find that do a swim first thing is more of an effort - seems to be easier later in the day.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    4am!, love my mornings!
  • MinaMinaNYC
    MinaMinaNYC Posts: 3 Member
    During the week I workout around 8pm. I have a long commute and leave house at 6:15am and get home between 6:30-7. It's tough going so late but plus is gym is not crowded. When I move closer to work I will go around 6pm. I may try mornings but in past i found I can't get in a full good workout becsuse Im rushing. Also, I need a good 15-20 to warm my body up so I need about an hour & a half workout time
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Twice during the week, I get up at 530am, at gym by 6, at work (at elementary school) by 830. I'm generally asleep by 915pm most nights.

I've tried to go after work around 430-5pm...gym is too crowded, and I'm too tired for heavy lifts.
  • 18sacrifices
    18sacrifices Posts: 11 Member
    I float back and forth between early workouts and evening workouts. I don't like to stick to a set way of doing things for too long. I like to switch up my algorithms from time to time. That said my preference would be smack bang in the middle of the day however that's not possible with my schedule. I will say morning workouts has it's perks, one being you've accomplished the hardest probable task you're likely to encounter for the day before most people have even showered. That should make you a pleasant person to be around at work.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Morning!
  • Jasp03
    Jasp03 Posts: 54 Member
    When the weather isn't all snowy and frozen out, I like to take the dog for a walk at around 6am. I then work out of my home office, so I usually use half of my lunch hour to do a quick 30 minutes in my home gym I've put together. Lastly, I do another 60-90 minutes at around 8 or 9 in the evening, depending on what I have going on at the time. I try to never get in a situation where I'd have to start later than 9pm.
  • don9992
    don9992 Posts: 49 Member
    I greatly prefer a morning workout. It's not always easy to drag myself out of bed stupid early but, after a good workout and 10 minutes in the steam room, I'm starting my day in a very nice place.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Up at 4:45, working out by 5:30 for about 90 minutes, then i get ready for work and workout is done for the day. I tried night/evening workouts and it just doesn't work. Always a thousand reasons not to get it done. In the mornings nobody has piled anything on me yet and it's quiet and I can concentrate and have a great workout. I work out at home or by running/walking so no need to spend time commuting to the gym. If I had to switch back to evening workouts I'd probably get none of it done. I've recently dropped to 4 workouts a week from 5, and will probably go back up to 5 time permitting in the summer, but it means that only 3 days a week do I have to get up that early as long as one of my workouts is on the weekend.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Mon-Thurs: both. Fri-Sun: morning.
  • taratheblokette
    taratheblokette Posts: 2 Member
    It really depends on the season for me. Weekday morning workouts during winter just seem too harsh. Often I’ll do a lunch workout and one after work if I split them out. Otherwise early evening workouts. In summer am workouts I don’t mind.
  • KateGifford
    KateGifford Posts: 2,325 Member
    I wake up at 4 in the morning to get to work by 530, so morning workouts just plain aren't feasible for me. I normally work out when I get home from work (normal people's lunch time)
  • After dinner on weekdays or during the afternoon on weekends.
  • Tmountainmom
    Tmountainmom Posts: 16 Member
    Mornings at home before work but if I miss for some reason or think it wasn't a very strong workout, I will go to the gym after work.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Swimming: morning
    Biking inside on the trainer: late afternoon or evening
    Biking outside: morning going into the afternoon depending on how long I'm riding for

The swimming thing is primarily an issue of scheduling and preference. When do I have time and when am I the least likely to have to share my lane. Biking inside is more an issue of habit and and to an extent how tired I am. As much as I would like to think that I can easily force myself out of bed and on to the bike, that is frequently not the case. In terms of timing, biking outside is dependent on how hot it's supposed to be, where I'm biking, how many people I expect will be out riding, etc.
  • YogaBoxer79
    YogaBoxer79 Posts: 14 Member
    On weekdays I work out after work, which ends up somewhere between 5-7pm. On the weekends it's usually late morning between 9-11am.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Walk in the morning and hit the gym on the way home from work.
  • PetiteHabanero
    PetiteHabanero Posts: 44 Member
    I plan ahead and workout when it fits in best, morning, afternoon, or night. However when I get to choose I prefer late afternoon/early evening. It is my favorite way to decompress after working and some of my best thinking occurs.