1200 calories and not really hungry - am I calculating wrong?

Options
I am noticing that while it is tricky to figure out what to eat and find healthy recipes, I must admit I am not really hungry on 1200 calories. I am wondering if I am eating more calories than I think. I just feel that the craving for baked goods, sandwiches etc is not hunger. It is a psychological need for those kinds of foods.

I wonder if I should aim for 1000 calories instead, so I have a margin of error.

Where do people get all their calorie info? I think the ones you search on might be wrong.

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Well, if you make your diary PUBLIC then people can give you feedback.
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food for better accuracy. it is not recommended to go under 1200 calories per day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Do you not log your food on this site ? because that way you'd know how many calories you were eating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    given your stats you should NOT be aiming for 1000 cals. and 1200 is unnecessary as well.
  • Sojo15
    Sojo15 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I registered in 2015 but did not start using MFP until now. I have been logging every day since late December and lost ca 8.6 lbs. I am 5'5" and down to 146.4 lbs. I am on a 38-day streak. My food diary is open to my friends, but yes, maybe I should make it public, what's the harm? I will change the setting if you want to look.

I need to be more vigilant in weighing and looking up food. I cook all of my food, and do not use the phone but I will check USDA. To be truthful I often eat 1300 rather than 1200, it is hard to curb the cravings. My point is that I am not really hungry when I eat those last meals. The nutritious food I am making satisfies my hunger. I believe in listening to your body, so I am interested in this.

I do take your advice seriously and I might think too much about this. It is just the first healthy decision I made in years, and I am so longing for this change. I have felt uncomfortable in my body for some time.

But yes, I am aware that my thinking around this is not unproblematic.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Sojo15 wrote: »
    I registered in 2015 but did not start using MFP until now. I have been logging every day since late December and lost ca 8.6 lbs. I am 5'5" and down to 146.4 lbs. I am on a 38-day streak. My food diary is open to my friends, but yes, maybe I should make it public, what's the harm? I will change the setting if you want to look.

I need to be more vigilant in weighing and looking up food. I cook all of my food, and do not use the phone but I will check USDA. To be truthful I often eat 1300 rather than 1200, it is hard to curb the cravings. My point is that I am not really hungry when I eat those last meals. The nutritious food I am making satisfies my hunger. I believe in listening to your body, so I am interested in this.

I do take your advice seriously and I might think too much about this. It is just the first healthy decision I made in years, and I am so longing for this change. I have felt uncomfortable in my body for some time.

Peaked at your diary. If you want to get closer to accuracy use a food scale, it will become more important as you get closer to goal. Your 'diet' can be and should be varied. Those foods you crave or foods you miss eating can be added to your daily intake if you choose.

But you are successfully losing weight currently doing your method though, and while you are mostly likely eating more than you think, those that can eat more to lose weight wins.

Your overthinking and diligence to this eating only healthy foods can lead to disordered thinking and this in itself is not healthy. Losing weight and doing it comfortably and in a healthy manner is what leads to success and moving into maintenance should be something will want to be thinking about as well (about the last 10-15 pounds).
  • Tea_A_Holic
    Tea_A_Holic Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been reading all posts in here with interest so thank you everyone for posting. Apullum could you please help with regards the barcode scanner! I can't seem to find it on my phone app! lol x
  • Sojo15
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Peaked at your diary. If you want to get closer to accuracy use a food scale, it will become more important as you get closer to goal. Your 'diet' can be and should be varied. Those foods you crave or foods you miss eating can be added to your daily intake if you choose.

But you are successfully losing weight currently doing your method though, and while you are mostly likely eating more than you think, those that can eat more to lose weight wins.

Your overthinking and diligence to this eating only healthy foods can lead to disordered thinking and this in itself is not healthy. Losing weight and doing it comfortably and in a healthy manner is what leads to success and moving into maintenance should be something will want to be thinking about as well (about the last 10-15 pounds).

Thank you for looking. I am using a scale, not just everything. Should I weigh ingredients in a recipe too? Wow that is detailed. I will take your advice to heart. I have about 22 lbs to go, so will check out maintenance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thank you for looking. I am using a scale, not just everything. Should I weigh ingredients in a recipe too? Wow that is detailed. I will take your advice to heart. I have about 22 lbs to go, so will check out maintenance.

your goal is to be 124lbs at 5ft7?
  • Sojo15
    Options

your goal is to be 124lbs at 5ft7?

My goal is 125 lbs at 5ft5. I started at 155, so 30 lbs.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been reading all posts in here with interest so thank you everyone for posting. Apullum could you please help with regards the barcode scanner! I can't seem to find it on my phone app! lol x

@Tea_A_Holic if you want to tag someone you need to put @ before their name.

Barcode scanner option (little barcode icon) is in the top right corner under search for food when you tap add food

• JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing 1200 and have gotten used to not feeling so hungry. Partially because I drink so much water & tea (no cream, no sugar) and lately because I'm on a water pill that kills my appetite. I've had days where I'd be severely under my goal and had absolutely no desire to eat. Never thought about adjusting my goal downward- I think 1200 is the limit anyways (or it is for me at least). Just stick with 1200 and eat as you've been doing. Hey, the good thing is that at least you're not alone :)
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your diary and you could use some tightening up on your logging. Check out this post, it's very informative.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621050/how-to-use-the-usda-food-database-mfp-food-database-for-accurate-logging/p1