Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Replies

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    I am craving the sugar, too. Yes dark chocolate I can do and yes I eat it every day. 70% or the Endangered Species I seem to be able to do a higher percentage--the higher the percentage the less sugar I believe the chocolate has. I get the kind without milkfat as that is the saturated fat that is not helpful and also has cholesterol. I have worked up to it. I have it with raw walnuts on the side right now and I am happy with a good sized piece. For the most part that helps me. I do crave that white flour as in pizza, which is basically sugar, too. Have been trying to go back to my healthier alternatives as much as possible which I did more of when I lost the first 30 lbs. Want to try that personal sized Mexican pizza by Skinny Girl. It has a chickpea flour crust, hummus, cheese and some other veggies with black olives I think. I can get the FF cheddar or close to it. I have also recently gone to the Dollar Store and bought some small bags of candy that I won't overdo it on (TO KEEP IN THE COLD CAR OR SHED, LOL). I figure it is still better than all the alcohol and the junk eating which goes with it.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    edited February 2018
    Count me in on the sweets issue. I never thought that it is linked to alcohol being sugary. And my body is craving it.
    I even found myself dipping a spoon into peanut butter and decorating that with chocolate chips to get the sugar fix.
    I will have to make my Freedom February into less alcohol AND less sugar.

I have been craving cereal. I haven't eaten cereal in years. 3 weeks alcohol free and starting my 4th week. Everyone is doing such a superb job! :)
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Polo265 That is so funny! I was just thinking I would like some Lucky Charms or Cap'n Crunch! I haven't eaten that kind of cereal in 40 years at least!

• islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    My family has several former heavy drinkers and they ALL ate sweets like crazy when they stopped drinking! Some people are critical of the trade of one addiction for another, but eventually sweets can be cut out and much easier than alcohol. My husband is almost 2 years AF and for the first year he ate lots of hard candy and ice cream. Now his sugar beast is appeased with a bowl of cereal at night.
  • ulcaster555
    ulcaster555 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Funny about the sweets issue, had lemon tisane last night and craved sweets too, had dark chocolate and some reglisse.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @salleewins I'm with you on the passion tea for sure. I'm drinking the orange, bc I don't want to waste it, but thinking about throwing a little stevia in, LOL. Publix has a BOGO on the Polar seltzer, so am getting that today. Have never tried it, but the suggestions to have it with orange and/or lime sounded really good. I've tried LaCroix but just not crazy about it. I think maybe mixing up my own seltzer combos will work for me.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit to this glorious 1st day of February. Loved the posts about sweets and cravings. It caught up with me to last evening, but I blamed it on the moon event.
    Earlier in the day we needed paper products and had to go to the store. I am a list maker. I get what is on my list and no more. My husband was no where to be found as I was about to cash out. So I went looking for him. Of course his list had one item on it. He had his list item found which was a 30 pk of beer under his arm, but kept looking in the alcohol isle. You done I asked? He answered, what do you want? Nothing...I said, I am all set. Come on, he said....what do you want... cider,ultra, rum? NOTHING thank you I said. With a little more gusto. He ended up at the cashier with his 30 pk and what he claims is Mich Ultra 12pk for me. That 12 pk may last all the way to April if he does not end up drinking it himself.
    Misery loves company and that is why people that need to drink like when other people drink with them.
    Be well today and make good choices everyone.

Oh the pressure!!! You did good staying strong!!!
  • dbanks80
    No one answered my question how long does the sweet cravings last? :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2018
    February 1. I'm READY to lose the meno12. I bought some SF chocolate pudding to mix with peanut butter tonight for a treat. My favorite evening tea (tension tamer) is stocked as well!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »

Forever?! Lol not sure but my FIL is a former alcoholic sober for like 20 years and he puts down ice cream like no ones business.

• SanDiegofitmom
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @salleewins I'm with you on the passion tea for sure. I'm drinking the orange, bc I don't want to waste it, but thinking about throwing a little stevia in, LOL. Publix has a BOGO on the Polar seltzer, so am getting that today. Have never tried it, but the suggestions to have it with orange and/or lime sounded really good. I've tried LaCroix but just not crazy about it. I think maybe mixing up my own seltzer combos will work for me.

Favorite teas I found this month- the Trader Joe’s ginger tumeric has just the right amount of sweet and spice. I also got the Pukka chamomile vanilla Manuka which is good as well. I bought a bag of Matcha too- which I have not tried but I’ve been wanting to make nut milk matcha lattes which I hear are awesome for your health. I’m also a huge fan of Trader Joe’s new flavors of sparkling water - especially the star fruit and sangria flavor
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member

I think no one is answering because no one knows for sure. I'm only 22 days alcohol free and it's still going on. I hope it ends soon though. :)
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member

I agree it will vary from person to person. I can't answer personally, but like I said, my husbands was pretty strong for a solid year. Then he decided to get it under control (didn't gain an ounce!) and it took 6 months of being conscious about it. He was able to cut out the bag of hard candy a day :smiley: Now he mainly has a bowl of cereal before bed and I make dessert on Sundays that he nibbles on for a few days.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    I made some “cookies” no bake, organic unsweetened peanut butter, unsweetened coconut flakes, chia seeds, honey, oats, and dark chocolate cocoa nibs, dried blueberries - just put in mixer - and roll into balls and put in the fridge. They are my go to “sweet” a little healthier version and kids love them!
  • dbanks80
    Didn't do too well in January. I had 2 glasses of port and a bottle of wine. (yes, I am calling myself out!)
    Starting over today....NO alcohol for February.

You did very well. It's not like you drank that everyday. Or did you??? :p