Seems impossible to lose more than 10 lbs

Options
My weight is 174. It will fluctuate lower than this, but I can rarely get below 159. I exercise at least 5 days per week and measure and count my calories. Any recommendations on how to get to 140 or so? Seems like I'd have to practically starve myself.

7567305.png

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Agree with @malibu927 - Tighten the logging, you might not think it but you have to be eating more than you think or you would be losing.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. Check out this thread. It has several videos/visuals on why a food scale is such a powerful weight loss tool.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    How y’all are you?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It sounds like 174 might be a comfortable weight for your lifestyle and that you have a hard time making and maintaining changes that let you get away from there for long. Is 174 close to a healthy BMI for your height? Once you get down to those lower numbers, it's much harder to make the changes needed to sustain weight loss. Forget what you may or may not know about dieting and try coming at this from a different angle (I'm making assumptions here about what you've done in the past, so if I'm way off, ignore me!).

This is very important. How tall are you and where are you on the BMI charts.

The closer you are to normal weight, and moreso the closer you are to the bottom half of normal, the harder and slower your weight loss will be.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    TxTiffani wrote: »
    How y’all are you?

I don't know how one might tell how y'all one is? I am interested in figuring out how y'all I might be, though. Wut?

lmao. I'm thinking she was trying to say how tall are you
  • bambusa
    bambusa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Big combo reply: I have a food scale and I do measure. I eat mostly whole foods. Right now I'm averaging about 1200 per day (calories).
    I am 47 years old
    CICO is what I do. Not doing keto or anything like that. I eat mainly like a core foods plan.
    I'm 5'6
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    bambusa wrote: »
    Big combo reply: I have a food scale and I do measure. I eat mostly whole foods. Right now I'm averaging about 1200 per day (calories).
    I am 47 years old
    CICO is what I do. Not doing keto or anything like that. I eat mainly like a core foods plan.
    I'm 5'6

Maybe by making your food diary public we could offer better ideas?
  • bambusa
    Options
    Also, I do strength training at least 3 times per week/boxing/elliptical or walking
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    I am 47 years old
    I'm 5'6

I'm older than you and I lose at 1700 - don't know why you are trying to eat so little.

I'm 142 at 5'7" - the last 15 pounds took about nine months because it DOES require discipline and eating very close to the least amount I can reasonably eat and still function.

Open up your food page for us to look at...go to FOOD settings and click Public (at the bottom.)

The fact you say
    I'm averaging about 1200 per day

probably means something . . .else.

• bambusa
    Options
    Have at it
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Looking at your diary it only seems to go back about 10 days so I think it's just a case of patience. You will be retaining water weight if you have recently increased your exercise (your muscles retain water for repair, perfectly natural you can't do anything about it) you're probably looking at a month before things start going as expected loss wise and since you don't have a lot to lose 1 pound a week is considered good progress xxx Good luck.

Edit. Other tips also try to use digital scales over cups, cup measurements should only be used for liquids and sauces, and for things like rice try to get the dry weight. x Also don't forget to include hidden things like oil for cooking or beverages, it all adds up. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am 47 years old
    I'm 5'6

Do you eat exercise calories back?
    how do you calculate cals burned?
    Make sure you are picking the proper database entry (weigh all solid foods and measure liquids)
    If all the above is "by the book", then you may want to get some blood tests done to determine if there is a thyroid issue.