Hungry Bunny!

Options
I lift 4 times a week, progressing heavier a little at a time but I'm getting hungrier! I'm hitting macros nicely everyday but now thinking of eating a 5th meal/snack as my body is telling me too.

I've upped my goal/macro to 1870 and that's on a non lifting day. I'm 160cms and 115 measly pounds.

How and when do I stop adding more cals?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Volume eating. Just Google it, trust me!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I personally try to eat big meals early in the day it helps get all the calories in so you aren’t shoving food in at night which would promote more fat gain than if spread through the day. If you have time or can do a snack or supplement along with the exercise you should start seeing results. It took me a long time to hit a goal but I got there and you will as well just make it a habit

Oh yes, I was considering how hungry I was the other day on the cable machine. Looks like a cheeky bar might come in handy.
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    clbaft wrote: »
    I lift 4 times a week, progressing heavier a little at a time but I'm getting hungrier! I'm hitting macros nicely everyday but now thinking of eating a 5th meal/snack as my body is telling me too.

I've upped my goal/macro to 1870 and that's on a non lifting day. I'm 160cms and 115 measly pounds.

Are you trying to gain weight/muscle? If the amount you're lifting is progressively heavier there will come a point where you kinda have to get bigger to progress. There's only so much strength gains you can make without also having to make muscle mass gains. 1870 doesn't sound that high to me (assuming you'e bulking. you are shorter, though). If you're hungry while working out, definitely eat more or eat more filling things closer to working out.

Also I disagree with one of the previous posters re: when you eat. Eating at night doesn't cause any more fat gain than spreading it out throughout the day. Better to sleep soundly and full than wake up starving...

Yes I noticed that myth too...The 1870 is baseline without eating back cals so I would be eating more on gym days.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

ignore that, just seen we're in the gaining forum.

how much of a surplus is 1870?
  • Silkysausage
    Options

It's not, that's baseline
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

When you say baseline, do you mean you plugged it into a TDEE calculator and that's your maintenance based on your activity level?
  • Silkysausage
    Options

When you say baseline, do you mean you plugged it into a TDEE calculator and that's your maintenance based on your activity level?

MFP calc and yes, maintenance
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Ok, so are you maintaining as expected or going down in weight?
  • Silkysausage
    Options

I was losing weight before I hiked it up to 1870, it was lower and I see what I did wrong, I used the IIFYM calc and it gave me too little.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I was losing weight before I hiked it up to 1870, it was lower and I see what I did wrong, I used the IIFYM calc and it gave me too little.

Ok, so if you are still feeling hungry but you aren't gaining then you might look into volumetrics as @Davidsdottir suggested. It could help you feel full longer.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

That sort of still didn't answer the question- are you trying to gain? or accidentally gaining?
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

That sort of still didn't answer the question- are you trying to gain? or accidentally gaining?

Yes I am trying to gain
  • Breezer628
    Breezer628 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Yes I am trying to gain

If you're trying to gain then def eat more if you're getting hungry!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Breezer628 wrote: »

Yes I am trying to gain

If you're trying to gain then def eat more if you're getting hungry!

If you're gaining at a rate that is appropriate for you but you're still hungry, try some of these recipes https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/volume-eating-recipes/

I still feel hungry at 2400 cals, but this stuff helps.