Exercises for digging?!?

I'm aware this is an oddly specific request, but I'm looking for suggestions on exercises to get better at digging holes.
(Yes, digging holes. I'm a scientist who spends all day sitting at a computer, but this summer I'll be on a team to dig holes for science.) Long story, but I want to be able to do my part.
Clearly, this will involve strengthening the back and upper body (plus endurance cardio), but I'd love to have a variety of specific exercises to incorporate. Any suggestions? (I tried google, but got suggestions for a volleyball move called a "dig". Not what I was looking for!) Also, actually digging practice holes isn't an option - I have no yard for this. :(

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited February 2018
    Shovelling or post holing?

For Shoveling, something like deadlifts are going to be the best for strengthening the appropriate muscles.

For post holing, Maybe medicine ball slams.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    edited February 2018
    Actually both shoveling/hoeing and post-holing, but generally I'm pretty good with post-holing. Shoveling and hoeing.... well, I was once told (jokingly by a landscaper) that I dig like a baby who is just learning to dig!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Digging is pretty hard work, so I would say that you need to get ready by doing some hard work in the gym.

Since you're asking for advice, I'd recommend that you go get some advice. You can do personal or group training. If you do that 2-3 times a week and add in some cardio, you'll certainly get in much better shape.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    A lot of what you will be doing is somewhat random. Stepping on the shovel, bending over, lifting, twisting and reaching to toss the load. I would be in favor of a good machine workout (I use Nautilus) because its quick. That way you can hit many muscle groups to gain strength overall. Beyond that I would add cardio for endurance and planks to build the core.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Because the actual shoveling is neither a pure up/down front/back side-side; General fitness should be your goal. KB swings/deadlifts are probably going to be your biggest bang for the buck for strengthening your core. You'll also want to do some work that give you strength/practice with the rotational strength you'll need.

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I used to do a lot of digging when I was an archaeologist. I would agree that overall fitness is important. The Stronglifts 5x5 program would probably be a really good start to the overall strength building that you will need.

Strength in your back and arms seems obvious, but you will also need strong shoulders, pecs, abs, obliques, and legs. Do squats. Lots of squats. Be sure to focus on proper form both as you start training and when you start doing the digging. It is really easy to hurt your back while digging with poor form.

Also, don't forget cardio. Digging is hard work and you need to have stamina if you will be doing it all day.
  • beabria
    Great, thanks! I do heavy squats regularly (and deadlifts occasionally) and will up my game there. Kettlebell exercises seem like a great suggestion for the compound motion, but I haven't used them before, so perhaps it is time for personal trainer.
  • beabria
    Or, you know, just go buy a few bags of pea gravel and shovel it from spot A to spot B and back again. :D
    Actually, I think I can do that. I have a basement and some shovels. I'll just hope to not have to explain it to my landlord. :wink:

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    I agree with French Peasant above.

Get a couple yards of dirt delivered to your yard.

Several times a week go out for an hour and shovel the dirt into a different spot a few feet away.

If you have a wheelbarrow, shovel the dirt into it and transport loads to a spot some distance away (25 to 50 feet).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    I agree with French Peasant above.

Get a couple yards of dirt delivered to your yard.

Several times a week go out for an hour and shovel the dirt into a different spot a few feet away.

If you have a wheelbarrow, shovel the dirt into it and transport loads to a spot some distance away (25 to 50 feet).

Or do like we did in the military, substitute the dirt for some gravel. Just shovel over and over till you get better.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    beabria wrote: »
    Or, you know, just go buy a few bags of pea gravel and shovel it from spot A to spot B and back again. :D
    Actually, I think I can do that. I have a basement and some shovels. I'll just hope to not have to explain it to my landlord. :wink:

In the case of a basement, I might just recommend a few large rocks. Easier to get rid of!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Could always come up here and shovel snow :)

I really think the best training is going to be picking up a shovel at some point. Nothing is going to get you in shape better than real work. Take it slow at first and build up your stamina and strength.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    imfornd wrote: »
    compound moments - truth people here will say squats - dead lifts - back biceps etc.... and all those will help BUUUUUUT in the end you will be hurt because you will focus on strengthening only those body parts and most likely leaving other body parts weaker

take for instance bad backs - you have great looking abs your quads are well defined but how are you hamstrings - alot of back problems come for a lack on hamstring strength - compound movements will make you strong everywhere ---- you are going for function - NOT look - and in that case compound movement is what i would stick with

Squats and deadlifts aren't compound movements?

LOL.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    compound moments - truth people here will say squats - dead lifts - back biceps etc.... and all those will help BUUUUUUT in the end you will be hurt because you will focus on strengthening only those body parts and most likely leaving other body parts weaker

take for instance bad backs - you have great looking abs your quads are well defined but how are you hamstrings - alot of back problems come for a lack on hamstring strength - compound movements will make you strong everywhere ---- you are going for function - NOT look - and in that case compound movement is what i would stick with

Wait. Squats and deads aren't compound? And I'm not sure what "back biceps" is covering.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018

Wait. Squats and deads aren't compound? And I'm not sure what "back biceps" is covering.

I definitely don't get that one. Deadlifts are the most compound movement there is. They work just about every muscle in the entire body from top to bottom. I'd love to hear the explanation of how squats and deads aren't compound movements.

For the OP's stated purpose, a program consisting simply of deadlifts and some kind of core rotation/anti-rotation exercise would probably fit the bill perfectly, since they can't go out and start digging holes - which would obviously be the best choice.