Days off?

Options
I'm on a 3 day split lifting program. In addition I do a weekly, 45-minute bootcamp class on which I don't lift. And once a week I do cardio kickboxing and don't usually lift that day either.

So, basically I'm on my 3-day split 5 days a week.

I don't have any exclusive rest day though I consider kickboxing and the bootcamp to be my rear days because I am not lifting.

Is this wrong? Do I need to factor in a complete rest day where I don't do anything? I have no desire to do that.

And, once a week I sometimes do a second kickboxing class in evenings after lifting in the morning. Is that okay?

Replies

• samantharmaggard
    samantharmaggard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What’s your goal? Sounds like you enjoy what your doing. What is a three day split. Seems like if you only can lift three days a week you would do a full body.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If you are progressing and not missing reps I don't think it matters. If you are missing reps and/or not progressing as you should then it might be causing problems.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the duration and intensity you work out at on some of those non lift days. Runners often do what's known as a recovery run, which is still effort but at a very easy pace. I hate rest days as well.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Just trust your body and do what feels good. I've done months of 10 workouts/week, now 6/week. Sometimes I do 7 in a row and then 2 rest days, all you have to do is listen to yourself.
    The only thing I do is going to the gym at the same time of the day, so I get at least 20h of rest.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I'd like the classes for a calorie burn because I always want to be leaner, but I wouldn't really recover well enough for my powerlifting training. I don't know.
  • randomlyred
    randomlyred Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's so personally dependent too - I'm currently on 2 a days (am cardio, pm weights) 5 days a week. I've done stretches where I go 7 days a week until I need a day off, take a rest day and continue on (one rest day every 2-3 weeks). I've done lifting 6 days a week and all of these have worked for me at the time I was doing them. Depends on your goals and how you're recovering.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    So 3 days weights and 2 days cardio?

Not excessive.

If you feel over trained back off a bit.

It's easy to get a bit obsessed with working out due to the endorphin release.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you trying to gain weight?
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback.

I am trying to gain some muscle.

I'm 5'9" and 146 now.
  • Stew501
    Stew501 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    HIIT or some other cardio is what I consider to be my rest day
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Stew501 wrote: »
    HIIT or some other cardio is what I consider to be my rest day

Then you're not doing HIIT
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    Thanks for feedback.

I am trying to gain some muscle.

I'm 5'9" and 146 now.

All the cardio just means you need to eat more.