Where do you keep your eggs?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've always kept them in the refrigerator and understood the rule to be as cwolfman says (but even for farm fresh eggs I've always kept them in the refrigerator because that's what we did when I grew up and it's what I'm used to and anyway I'd probably manage to break them if I kept them on the counter).

I can't imagine why putting them in the refrigerator would be wrong, maybe they mixed them up with tomatoes. ;-)

I keep my tomatoes in the fridge too.

I'm doing everything wrong. Gaah. I can't do life.

If you put fresh tomatoes in the fridge they can lose a lot of their flavor and sometimes become mealy. As @Need2Exerc1se said, if they are store bought, they probably don't have much flavor anyway :smiley: . But I still feel mine taste better at room temp.

Oh. Yeah, I don't even really like tomatoes...but I know they're good for me so I eat them. It's the slimy bit around the seeds that gags me out. Same with ocra. :sick:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I've always kept them in the refrigerator and understood the rule to be as cwolfman says (but even for farm fresh eggs I've always kept them in the refrigerator because that's what we did when I grew up and it's what I'm used to and anyway I'd probably manage to break them if I kept them on the counter).

I can't imagine why putting them in the refrigerator would be wrong, maybe they mixed them up with tomatoes. ;-)

If you put fresh tomatoes in the fridge they can lose a lot of their flavor and sometimes become mealy. As @Need2Exerc1se said, if they are store bought, they probably don't have much flavor anyway :smiley: . But I still feel mine taste better at room temp.

Oh. Yeah, I don't even really like tomatoes...but I know they're good for me so I eat them. It's the slimy bit around the seeds that gags me out. Same with ocra. :sick:

How do you feel about tomato sauce or juice? No seeds and more concentrated nutrients.
  • cmriverside
    Options

How do you feel about tomato sauce or juice? No seeds and more concentrated nutrients.

That's mostly how I get my tomatoes. The raw whole ones are strictly for omelets and sandwiches.

• cmriverside
    Options
    Sorry, OP, I'm hogging your thread. :flowerforyou:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Sorry, OP, I'm hogging your thread. :flowerforyou:

Oops, me too! At least you mentioned omelets. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

If they are store bought it's unlikely to make much difference.

This is true. They've almost certainly been refrigerated already, among other things.

(And I had a feeling someone would make that point.)
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I get fresh eggs from a woman who has been raising chicken's for years and she bakes cakes as a side business. She has told me the same thing as one of the other poster. you can keep fresh eggs out of the fridge, until you wash them, then you should refrigerate.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    In the fridge.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have always kept my eggs in the fridge, I keep spreads like jam (jelly), vegemite, peanut butter etc in there too. Eggs are in the fridge section of our supermarket.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I asked on another forum if raw eggs would go bad having been in the fridge all night when it wasn't working. I was basically bombarded with "never keep eggs in the fridge" like it was a rule or something, though no one could answer why. I've always kept (raw) eggs in the fridge. What's everyone's opinion on this?

We get eggs from the supermarket and keep them in the refrigerator. Nothing bad has ever happened as a result. They have not made us sick. They don't taste bad. They have never exploded or started glowing. Baked goods turn out okay.
    My parents born in 1930's and 40's refrigerated eggs as long as I knew them. I don't know what my grandparents did but I don't remember eggs sitting out in my grandmother's kitchen.
    I'd probably refrigerate farm fresh eggs too as I don't like food sitting out.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    But why is it BAD to keep them in the refrigerator? Why would the OP be told
    never keep eggs in the fridge

No idea why, it must be a British thing. But again I asked why shouldn't I keep them in the fridge and no one could answer, I think they just believe it's wrong for no good reason.

I think once they've been kept in the fridge you shouldn't take them out until you're using them, because the change in temperature can cause bacteria to get through the shell. Obviously if they're chilled in the shop then they need that at home too, but in the UK they're never chilled in the shop because they're not washed and don't need it. Some baking recipes work better with the eggs at room temperature so keeping them out is convenient in that regard. Mine mostly end up in the fridge anyway since that's the only place I've room!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

well I never knew that.

Here in the UK our eggs are not refrigerated in the store, and not refrigerated at home. Mine sit on TOP of the fridge. As said elsewhere many recipes call for room temperature eggs, and in fact that goes for many things, meat, fruit, vegetables etc. Chilling things tends to remove the flavour, and warming them up increases the flavour - just try it with strawberries - cold strawberries are dull, leave them in the sun for a bit, mmmmm.

• obi1cannoli
    obi1cannoli Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    We keep ours in the door of the fridge!
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm British and have always refrigerated my eggs.

I would imagine leaving them out is a hangover from before everyone had fridges.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I keep them in the fridge but take them out before using as I heard it increases the volume (eg when whisking for cakes)
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    In my nest
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I would imagine leaving them out is a hangover from before everyone had fridges.

Eh? It's just food that doesn't need chilling to remain safe to eat for a sensible amount of time. Like sweets , cakes or dry pasta.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Eh? It's just food that doesn't need chilling to remain safe to eat for a sensible amount of time. Like sweets , cakes or dry pasta.

I think we refrigerate too much. I've actually started keeping most vegetables on a rack outside the fridge (and am now thinking I should put tomatoes there too); butter is in a butter dish on top of the fridge, and I NEVER put bread in the fridge (it causes the gluten to shrink and makes it go stale faster).

Obviously it does really depend on the ambient temperature of your kitchen though, and how quickly you plan to eat things.