Where do you keep your eggs?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I keep them mostly in the fridge but the ones I'm going to use for breakfast or to bake with are left out of the fridge the day before - the temperature of them definately affects baking.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    commercially bought eggs need to be refrigerated. fresh eggs (like from my neighbor who has chickens) that haven't been washed can be kept at room temperature for up to a month. If you wash them, it's best to refrigerate because you will have removed the bloom.

but again, if you're using commercially bought eggs, they need to be refrigerated.

ETA: while not necessary to refrigerate fresh eggs, there's also nothing harmful about doing so and there shelf life will just be that much longer...not that I really need a long shelf life for eggs, we easily go through a couple dozen per week.

this is accurate. I only put mien in the fridge because well- they've BEEN in there- and they keep longer that way- you could leave them out- but they will go bad faster.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've always kept them in the refrigerator and understood the rule to be as cwolfman says (but even for farm fresh eggs I've always kept them in the refrigerator because that's what we did when I grew up and it's what I'm used to and anyway I'd probably manage to break them if I kept them on the counter).

I can't imagine why putting them in the refrigerator would be wrong, maybe they mixed them up with tomatoes. ;-)

I keep my tomatoes in the fridge too.

I'm doing everything wrong. Gaah. I can't do life.

If they are store bought it's unlikely to make much difference.

This is true. They've almost certainly been refrigerated already, among other things.

(And I had a feeling someone would make that point.)

I don't put my tomato's in the fridge- I had to train husband out of it- I buy from a chain and I have notice it DOES make a difference.

="obi1cannoli;c-41344703"]We keep ours in the door of the fridge![/quote]
    That is the only place I would 't keep eggs- the constant temperature variation will help them go bad faster.

• JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    We've always kept them in the fridge. Never thought otherwise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »
    We keep ours on the counter but there is nothing wrong with putting them in the fridge, or freezer if you find a good deal and want to stock up. This time of year a lot of our eggs are frozen before we gather them.

I had no idea you can freeze eggs. Shell and all, I assume? That's a fantastic idea!

Yes, shell and all. Ours often freeze in the coop this time of year unless we get a broody hen.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    who doesn't keep them in the fridge? They are in the refrigerated section at the store so I just assumed they should go in the fridge. I also have cats who like to push stuff off of counter tops, so my bread goes int he fridge too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    who doesn't keep them in the fridge? They are in the refrigerated section at the store so I just assumed they should go in the fridge. I also have cats who like to push stuff off of counter tops, so my bread goes int he fridge too.

why do you put your bread in the fridge? how quickly do you eat it!!! it goes stale so fast in there! I keep it on top of the fridge- or just in the freezer- because I don't go through bread that quickly at all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

They should if you buy them refrigerated at the store. But not all eggs come from a store refrigerator.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    In the fridge when there is space, on the counter when there isn't. It doesn't matter, really.

ETA: this goes for both store bought and farm and we've never had either go bad when they were on the counter.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    repeated post.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    1. People who don't get their eggs in a store.
    2. People who live in countries where eggs aren't washed and are sold at room temp.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    We keep ours in the door of the fridge!

Yes. Couldnt imagine doing anything different! :s
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    We keep ours on the counter but there is nothing wrong with putting them in the fridge, or freezer if you find a good deal and want to stock up. This time of year a lot of our eggs are frozen before we gather them.

I had no idea you can freeze eggs. Shell and all, I assume? That's a fantastic idea!

I always heard you should break them, beat them lightly and add a little salt (I think it was salt).

But human eggs can be frozen whole, so why not chicken eggs?
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Don't do that.

"Refrigerator Storage: Refrigerate eggs at 40°F or less. Store them in their original carton on an inside shelf and away from pungent foods. The temperature on an inside shelf remains more constant than one on the door, which is opened and closed frequently. The carton keeps the eggs from picking up odors or flavors from other foods and helps prevent moisture loss."

https://www.incredibleegg.org/cooking-school/tips-tricks/egg-storage/

"Refrigeration — After the shell eggs reach home, it is very important to refrigerate them at a temperature of 45 °F or below. Keep the eggs in their carton and place them in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not in the door. Storing eggs in the refrigerator door could lead to temperature fluctuations that can lead to bacteria growth."

https://eggsafety.org/egg-safety/

• lynn_glenmont
    Options

Yes, shell and all. Ours often freeze in the coop this time of year unless we get a broody hen.

The Egg Safety Center says not to, but frustratingly, they don't say why.

"Freezing — Fresh shell eggs can be frozen, however, NOT IN THE SHELL. For whole eggs, yolks and egg whites, remove egg from shell and place in tightly sealed container. Label with the date. Refrigerated liquid eggs can be placed unopened in the freezer. Both fresh shell eggs and refrigerated egg products can be stored in the freezer up to a year."

https://eggsafety.org/egg-safety/
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm British and have always refrigerated my eggs.

I would imagine leaving them out is a hangover from before everyone had fridges.

Eh? It's just food that doesn't need chilling to remain safe to eat for a sensible amount of time. Like sweets , cakes or dry pasta.

They keep a lot longer in the fridge.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I'm British and have always refrigerated my eggs.

I would imagine leaving them out is a hangover from before everyone had fridges.

Eh? It's just food that doesn't need chilling to remain safe to eat for a sensible amount of time. Like sweets , cakes or dry pasta.

I think we refrigerate too much. I've actually started keeping most vegetables on a rack outside the fridge (and am now thinking I should put tomatoes there too); butter is in a butter dish on top of the fridge, and I NEVER put bread in the fridge (it causes the gluten to shrink and makes it go stale faster).

Obviously it does really depend on the ambient temperature of your kitchen though, and how quickly you plan to eat things.

Food waste is a massive problem. Advocating storing perishable food outside the fridge just encourages more waste.

Before everyone had fridges and heating, kitchens were cold and had even colder larders. A lot of the food that is now kept in the fridge went in that larder.

Room temperature now is far warmer than before heating.
  • Ebony_Kitty
    Ebony_Kitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had no idea you could freeze eggs either. Thanks for the tip!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have chickens, I keep their eggs on the counter. If I had to buy from a store they'd go in the fridge.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I always keep them at room temperature no matter where they are bought. Personal preference more than anything.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I keep my eggs in the fridge. But I remember when I spent a college semester in London, being shocked to see the egg cartons kept at room temperature in the supermarket. But I still put them in the fridge when I got back to my "flat".

Tomatoes always remain on the counter...unless they are getting overripe and I don't plan to use them that minute. Then I might stick them in the fridge for a day or two. They might lose some of their flavor, but they won't turn to slime.