Cardio with Strength training? 3 days a week

Options
Hi everyone

I am looking for a good workout program/routine where I can do both cardio and strength training.. Id like to be in the gym 3 days a week max as I'm a very busy person and I know realistically I won't stick to something that keeps me in the gym for long periods of time (currently in phase 2 of jamie Eason live fit trainer program which is getting to be too time consuming)

I am 5'2" and 126 lbs... My fitness goals are to have a nice butt.. flat belly.. To be strong.. And to build stamina!

The reason I want to keep cardio in my routine is because I went from not being able to do 2 mins of running and now I can do 30 mins straight and want to keep my stamina going..

Any tips?! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    They’re called Compexes and density workouts. I’m sitting at a red light. I’ll you some templates
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How long is too long in the gym? I'm a fan of shorter workouts but there comes a point where you are sacrificing progress. The above mentioned types of workouts are good when time is restricted. You'll probably be doing a lot of circuit training. You could also probably break your workout into somewhat traditional strength training, with a conditioning "finisher".
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Booom. Quick and easy. Do them as a finisher like rybo said or on your non lift days.
  • StephWieler
    StephWieler Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is great thank you so much!
  • Kimla500
    Kimla500 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am looking for a good workout program/routine where I can do both cardio and strength training.. Id like to be in the gym 3 days a week max as I'm a very busy person and I know realistically I won't stick to something that keeps me in the gym for long periods of time (currently in phase 2 of jamie Eason live fit trainer program which is getting to be too time consuming)

I am 5'2" and 126 lbs... My fitness goals are to have a nice butt.. flat belly.. To be strong.. And to build stamina!

The reason I want to keep cardio in my routine is because I went from not being able to do 2 mins of running and now I can do 30 mins straight and want to keep my stamina going..

Any tips?! Thanks in advance!

Me too, a little of both would be perfect!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to run most days and every other day stop into the gym on the way back for a quick Nautilus set. I can do both in a short amount of time before the sun comes up. I am just in it for fitness and health. I am getting too old to bulk up.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    You’re never too old ! Dave Draper is 75r1kl9hyxceqa.jpeg
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Cardio in the morning at home, lifting at the gym 2-3 times a week after work works for me. Cardio videos at home save so much time! Then I'm in the gym after work about 45 min a session.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Real fitness people will probably beat up on me but here is my 2x/week gym routine. 20 min treadmill- go hard at like 7 to 8 mph. 3 to 5 min plank and other back/ab exercises. 20 to 25 weights with zero rest. Alternate arm and legs. 2 sets or about 10 exercises. Focus more on multi muscle stuff like lunge, squat, push up, pull up etc. 5 to 10 min super hard rowing. I leave exhausted and usually sore the next day.

I should also add that I swim 3 to 4 times a week,so I figure that I get plenty of cardio in already. But similar to you, I like to maintain my running fitness too.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym, lifting 30-60 minutes 3 days a week...I've followed various programs, but always 3 days a week. I run (on the greenways, trails, or in my neighborhood) another 3-4 days a week. Duration, location, and intensity of runs depends on the time I have available that day...could be 30 minutes of speed work/intervals in my neighborhood or upwards of an hour long run on the trails.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am looking for a good workout program/routine where I can do both cardio and strength training.

As an athlete I am more interested in performance based advancements and fitness so I do HIIT programs mostly for strength and conditioning. A side note is, I have been able to cut out my 30+ minute lifting routines and go to 10-20 minute HIIT routines with better results for my needs.

Here is an example of a 10 minute program I use for my 30 minute lunch breaks.

https://youtu.be/vK_HNVyWjgc

Brad has an excellent channel for workouts.

You can also find these at PopSugar, FitnessBlender, Group HIIT, or HASFit (good focus on strength) all on YouTube for tons and tons of workouts.

No need for a gym.

• rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'm currently following the Strong Curves program, which is a full body workout 3 or 4 times a week (your choice of which) with emphasis on glute building. The 3 time a week workout recommends doing cardio three of the days you're not weight lifting with one rest day, but many of the people I've talked to have done cardio same day as weight lifting and still had amazing results! I only started the program this week and therefore cannot give much personal feedback yet but you can checkout reviews for the program on Amazon, the Strong Curves subreddit, or some of the other forums on MFP (using the search bar might be helpful for MFP) for information from people who are currently doing or have completed the program!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you're doing HIIT for 20 minutes- then it's not HIIT.
  • sheen467
    sheen467 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Focus T25? I started it a couple of weeks ago and am in love with it! It’s just 25 minutes 5 days a week plus a stretch day and a mix of both cardio and strength training. You will start seeing definition just within a few weeks.
  • daisyf123
    daisyf123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    have you tried Jari Love Ripped series? Ripped 1000 is cardio and strength training.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Janice6543 wrote: »
    Real fitness people will probably beat up on me but here is my 2x/week gym routine. 20 min treadmill- go hard at like 7 to 8 mph. 3 to 5 min plank and other back/ab exercises. 20 to 25 weights with zero rest. Alternate arm and legs. 2 sets or about 10 exercises. Focus more on multi muscle stuff like lunge, squat, push up, pull up etc. 5 to 10 min super hard rowing. I leave exhausted and usually sore the next day.

I should also add that I swim 3 to 4 times a week,so I figure that I get plenty of cardio in already. But similar to you, I like to maintain my running fitness too.

I'm tired out just reading it.