Habit Kit - Anyone done one?

Options
I am wondering if anyone on here has done a Habit "Personalized Nutrition" test kit? If you have, can you tell me about your experience went once you got your results?

I ordered mine the other day and am anxiously waiting for it to ship! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Well, this might sting considered you already ordered it but...

Sounds like an expensive scam.
  • Kkelso1119
    Kkelso1119 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @skhones

I have done it as have many of my coworkers and we're all food scientists for a small health and wellness company so you can rest assured it is not a scam. Keep in mind, your results are based off of genetic markers and your blood sugar response to the shake that you drink (hence why you have to take your blood at different stages before and after consuming the drink). It's not going to tell you to eat x, y, z every day to lose weight. It will tell you if genetically you have the genes associated with certain food intolerances (which does not mean you are in fact intolerant, it just gives you a higher likelihood of potentially having these, you should speak to your doctor or a nutritionist if you are concerned about such results). It will also tell you how your body reacted to the macro nutrients in the shake: ex. did your blood sugar spike like crazy and drop shortly after the shake? well maybe you aren't as efficient at digesting carbs as fat or protein. It's not going to magically help you lose or gain weight, but it does give you a lot of cool insights to your digestion and your genes.

Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Kkelso1119 wrote: »
    @skhones

I have done it as have many of my coworkers and we're all food scientists for a small health and wellness company so you can rest assured it is not a scam. Keep in mind, your results are based off of genetic markers and your blood sugar response to the shake that you drink (hence why you have to take your blood at different stages before and after consuming the drink). It's not going to tell you to eat x, y, z every day to lose weight. It will tell you if genetically you have the genes associated with certain food intolerances (which does not mean you are in fact intolerant, it just gives you a higher likelihood of potentially having these, you should speak to your doctor or a nutritionist if you are concerned about such results). It will also tell you how your body reacted to the macro nutrients in the shake: ex. did your blood sugar spike like crazy and drop shortly after the shake? well maybe you aren't as efficient at digesting carbs as fat or protein. It's not going to magically help you lose or gain weight, but it does give you a lot of cool insights to your digestion and your genes.

Good luck!

What does it mean if one is "less efficient" at digesting carbohydrates? How would one apply this information, either for general life or for weight loss specifically?
  • skohnes
    skohnes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @skhones

What does it mean if one is "less efficient" at digesting carbohydrates? How would one apply this information, either for general life or for weight loss specifically?

Habit Kit essentially tell you what your body demands and if Carbs are listed as less efficient, it means you are more carb sensitive. From the test, you will then get a customized meal plan/recommendations. It will include visual recipes so you know who to make your plate look for proportions and you can go back and modify any goals you have like weight loss and such. Those suggestions will import into Fitbit/MFP from what I hear.

I know that I will come back Carb sensitive as I have done an elimination diet and re-add in test with carbs and a glucose monitor... Except for black beans, everything would make my 2 hour glucose jump 80-100 points!
  • skohnes
    Options
    @skhones

Good luck!

Thank you for responding!

I never thought it was scam in the least! I am very familiar with the role of food and systemic impact having a high systemic inflammation rate and have done a few elimination diets over the years. I know Habit will not miraculously make you lose weight, but it does help identify any inflammation/irritation/sensitivities and help your overall bodies response to your food consumption for overall better health.

Since you have done this - how has it changed your approach to what/how you eat?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    and your blood sugar response to the shake that you drink (hence why you have to take your blood at different stages before and after consuming the drink).

Or see your doctor and have a fasting glucose tolerance test if blood sugar response is concerning you.

Whole thing sounds an unneccesary and expensive gimmick to me OP.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    and because I am home alone with nothing better to do and google is at my fingertips......

Habit Core
    $299
    DNA + Metabolism Test

Test your DNA and metabolism and receive your personalized nutrition plan

Umm, No, I'll pass on that

and to think there are "food scientists' recomending this :o

Those personalized nutrition plans are, well, not that personalized really. They test specific genes that might correlate with specific symptoms. But most of the studies that are used to based those results on are mostly epidemiological studies usually based on a very specific population.

So companies such as Habit Core, might provide a personalized nutrition plan stating that you shouldn't ingest more than 200mg caffeine per day or you might be at a higher risk for high blood pressure or heart disease.
    The study which is often used as a basis of this statement is problematic because a) done in Costa Rica with participants mostly of central american/Hispanic descent (I'm not of Hispanic origin. How would those results translate to my central Europe, my descendants crawled, down a mountain in the central Alps descent?) b) used coffee consumption (based on a food frequency questionnaire) and occurrence of heart attacks to correlate, and (not an exhaustive and, just too tiered to fully go back to the study and work it through again) c) cannot rule out that caffeine is the only substance in coffee which might be responsible (there's plenty of phytochemicals in there that haven't yet been examined. So is it really only the caffeine?).

I like the idea behind those tests. But the science really hasn't caught up to the dream yet and it might be a while yet before it does.
  • skohnes
    edited February 2018
    Options
    and because I am home alone with nothing better to do and google is at my fingertips......

Habit Core
    $299
    DNA + Metabolism Test

Yah the standard price is a bit much but I paid far less than this thanks to their sale and a discount.

However - after 15 years of struggling with health and following strict Paleo, AIP and other diets- when do you put a $ on your health...
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    skohnes wrote: »

Habit Core
    $299
    DNA + Metabolism Test

Yah the standard price is a bit much but I paid far less than this thanks to their sale and a discount.

However - after 15 years of struggling with health and following strict Paleo, AIP and other diets- when do you put a $ on your health...

But is this an effective use of your money? Does adding a DNA test really provide valid insights into how you should structure your diet? Aside from a few known specific genetic traits (lactose tolerance or iron overload, for example), there's not a lot of good science to support the idea.

Looking at this, you'll get a DNA test and report of dubious value, and a meal plan and recipes that will probably help put you in a calorie deficit if you follow them. You'll probably see some success with that, but you can get similar results without the expensive program just by using MFP for free.

A lot of us here have been on the diet industry fad of the moment treadmill, and came to the realization that almost all of it is pure hype and some scientific sounding explanation that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. You mention that you've struggled for years with different diet plans (inflammation, paleo, etc). Ask yourself how they've helped and how they've failed you, and then ask yourself if this Habit plan will do any better.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but when this Habit plan fails you (and it will) I hope you'll consider that all you may need is a simple CICO based approach with a sensible balanced diet routine.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    skohnes wrote: »

Habit Core
    $299
    DNA + Metabolism Test

Well, I personally put a $ on my health when that $ is going to benifit me - I would suggest seeing a Dr for any medical symptoms which are concerning you (if you suspect you have impaired glucose tolerance, for example)

and if I had struggled with various meal plans and meal planning and appropriate choice of foods was an issue for me, I would pay to see a qualified dietician and seek some worthwhile guidance about my diet

I wouldn't throw money away on some gimmicky pseudo health information that isnt of any real benifit to me.