Frustrated with plateau

I kicked off the year with a goal to lose 40lbs, this would put me at a weight I haven’t been since high school. I cut back to about 1000 calories a day and I made these calories wholesome. I cut out bread, pasta, rice, starches, and sweets (other than fruits). I also started doing interval training runs a few times a week (aiming for 3 but the winter weather makes this hard) and yoga a few times a week. The first couple weeks were fantastic, I lost 15 pounds pretty quickly and easily and gained some muscle in my abs and arms. Now I am stuck. I hate my body even more than before I started dieting. I haven’t lost a single pound in 2 weeks. I keep thinking this will end soon, but I’m starting to lose my patience. Any advice?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    b26qxse2oqd8.jpg
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You should not be eating less than 1200 calories net unless you are very short, sedentary, and older.

With a goal of 40 lbs, you should be aiming to lose around 1 lb per week. That first 15 lbs is too fast, but also probably involved a lot of water weight, and your body is now recovering. Losing weight very fast makes it really likely you will lose muscle, experience dramatic water weight swings, and eventually hit the wall.

Set your goal to lose 1 lb per week. Read the Most Helpful Posts thread stickied to the top of the boards. Log accurately and consistently and eat your calories. Be patient and take good care of yourself :drinker:
  • khaatrebert
    khaatrebert Posts: 20 Member
    I know fitbits aren’t always accurate, but this is what my calories in vs out are normally like. I am not eating back calories that I work off. I do log everything I eat. I have been making all my meals from scratch so I know exactly what is going in to them. I have been mostly eating protein shakes and chicken with vegetables. I have been very conscious of what oils I use to cook with and what dressings I use and such.
  • khaatrebert
    I’d also like to note that I am not going hungry. I am fueling my body with healthy and nutritious foods. I feel great and have tons of energy.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I know fitbits aren’t always accurate, but this is what my calories in vs out are normally like. I am not eating back calories that I work off. I do log everything I eat. I have been making all my meals from scratch so I know exactly what is going in to them. I have been mostly eating protein shakes and chicken with vegetables. I have been very conscious of what oils I use to cook with and what dressings I use and such.

How? Are you using a scale?
  • khaatrebert
    For meat, veggies, and fruits yes. For liquids and powders I trust measuring cups and the nutritional info on the package.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    For meat, veggies, and fruits yes. For liquids and powders I trust measuring cups and the nutritional info on the package.

If you're not using a scale for powders, it's possible that you're eating more than you think you are (my protein powder, for example, packs a lot more into a scoop than the package would lead one to believe). So it might be worth focusing on logging accurately to ensure that you're not inadvertently eating more than you think you are.

While you are doing that, you can also use this site to generate a reasonable calorie goal and begin logging your exercise and eating back at least a portion of those calories. Logging accurately will help you understand what you're eating so you can make adjustments and a reasonable calorie goal that takes your activity into account will ensure you're getting everything you need while you're losing weight.
  • khaatrebert
    I should have specified the fit bit picture is showing calories in per MFP and out via Fitbit tracking. My goal on MFP is 2 lbs a week, I am supposed to eat 1200 calories a day but I aim to stay around 1,000. I am not depriving myself though, if I am hungry I have an extra snack and bump up to 1200.
  • khaatrebert
    Okay, I’ll try eating back the calories I burn and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I kicked off the year with a goal to lose 40lbs, this would put me at a weight I haven’t been since high school. I cut back to about 1000 calories a day and I made these calories wholesome. I cut out bread, pasta, rice, starches, and sweets (other than fruits). I also started doing interval training runs a few times a week (aiming for 3 but the winter weather makes this hard) and yoga a few times a week. The first couple weeks were fantastic, I lost 15 pounds pretty quickly and easily and gained some muscle in my abs and arms. Now I am stuck. I hate my body even more than before I started dieting. I haven’t lost a single pound in 2 weeks. I keep thinking this will end soon, but I’m starting to lose my patience. Any advice?

2 weeks isn't a plateau...15 Lbs lost in a couple of weeks is some fat and a lot of water and waste loss. Initial drops in weight tend to be more dramatic and then things slow to more realistic rates of actual fat loss. You won't lose weight every week...you will have weeks with bigger losses, smaller losses, no losses, and gains. Body weight fluctuates naturally and those fluctuations can mask weight (fat) loss in the short run. Weight loss and weight management in general is about trends over time.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

I feel your pain and know the struggle, MFP and some insightful YT videos have been helping me overcome and get used to these new things. One important thing to note is make sure your sticking with something u can make into a lifestyle change because if not; when you get to your goaled weight loss if you havent made a real adjustment to your lifestyle you will gain some/alot/ a little who knows back. We're all here to support each other. TBH I did a one day water fast/ 9I call it clairity fast) it allowed me to reflect, set some non-weight goals as many MFP and YT bloggers suggest and take a look at myself for progress and pat myself on the back. You can do it. I have this notion in my head that cutting my calories so low my stall reason; since your not loosing anything at this moment try some other tactics and see if they help. Eat maybe 500 cal more on one day to refeed your muscles since your gaining some so well with a good choice. I had a cookie today , ( havent had something so satisfying in over 3 weeks) and Im happy. I didnt want another one, didnt want another piece and all I want right now is some more greens. Also have you tried ACV? Mix it with something to offset the taste ( sugar free) and that may help set your body back in the right motion. Happy weight loss. Oh, and love yourself and your body it's the only one u got and you are working towards making it a better body! Disappointment will cause stress which will call fat burn resist hormones to trigger which will cause a domonio of things behind the scene we dont even understand with our bodies. A LITTLE BIT OF STRESS GOES A LONG WAY BACKWARDS BUT A LITTLE BIT OF HAPPINESS GOES A LONG WAY FORWARD <3o:) ****YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

ACV has no affect on weight loss, and considering OP is undereating, the last thing she should consider is a fast. She needs to give her body fuel.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    The answer to this is probably pretty simple - you almost certainly didn't lose 15 lbs of fat in two weeks. You lost a few pounds of fat and a lot of temporary water weight and mass from the smaller amount of food in your digestive system. Then the temporary weight started coming back on, and now you have to lose more weight before you will see another drop in the scale.

Sorry you're feeling frustrated right now! Hang in there, and trust the process. I agree with those who say you should be eating more than 1000 calories and eating back some of your exercise calories. You don't want to tank your hormones and lose hair and muscle mass! Try to focus on how much stronger you are getting and other non-scale victories.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member

sorry to burst your bubble, but you didn't gain appreciable muscle mass in 4 weeks eating 1000 calories per day.

as others said, 2 weeks is not a plateau - give it time!