Breastfeeding calories intake

Hi there,
I’m back after I had a baby 10 months ago.
Does anyone know how much my calorie goal should be if I am still breastfeeding about 3 time a day or more and I want to loose only 3kg ?
Thank you very much
I hope I explain my self well. English is not my native language.
Greta
Xxx

Replies

• GretaFlorio
    GretaFlorio Posts: 8 Member
    Up
  • There is an entry in the database for breastfeeding that will take away the amount of calories you use when breastfeeding, just add that to your food diary when you breastfeed. I think it's something like -500 calories.
  • GretaFlorio
    There is an entry in the database for breastfeeding that will take away the amount of calories you use when breastfeeding, just add that to your food diary when you breastfeed. I think it's something like -500 calories.
    Thank you! Do u know where I can find this entry? Because I looked everywhere but couldn’t find it.... I’m still exploring the app
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2018
    It's in the food database
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    500 calories is for a newborn, an older baby and three times a day, I'd say more like 200-300 a day.
    There's really no way of knowing for sure. What might be a better idea is eating normally for a week or so and logging everything so you know how many calories you currently consume, then drop your calories by a couple hundred.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    500 calories is for a newborn, an older baby and three times a day, I'd say more like 200-300 a day.
    There's really no way of knowing for sure. What might be a better idea is eating normally for a week or so and logging everything so you know how many calories you currently consume, then drop your calories by a couple hundred.

That's a really good idea.

With 3kg to lose you do not need to set yourself an aggressive deficit.

You may even find that just logging and monitoring your food plus deliberately trying to move a tiny bit more/play/carry your kid around will be enough to make you lose slowly.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yeah I would figure out your maintenance calories and then start out with a really modest deficit to determine what facilitates weight loss and adjust as needed. Talking to your doctor is also a good idea. I'm nursing a 9 month old all day and night, probably 10 times a day at least. I have my breastfeeding deficit set to 500 and I eat about 1800 calories a day and I'm losing about a pound a week on average. *and I'm 5'1".
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Lol I clicked on this when I read the title because I couldn't help looking to see who was trying to figure out how many calories were in breast milk.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Once my kids started eating solids in addition to bf-ing, I reduced from 500 to 300 calories. I lost the baby weight between 8-9 months. I lost an additional 7lbs with my oldest by the time I weaned him at 14 months. He was a big eater.

My supply was not significantly effected by reducing calories, b/c they reduced feedings at the same time. Supply matched demand.
  • GretaFlorio
    Yeah I would figure out your maintenance calories and then start out with a really modest deficit to determine what facilitates weight loss and adjust as needed. Talking to your doctor is also a good idea. I'm nursing a 9 month old all day and night, probably 10 times a day at least. I have my breastfeeding deficit set to 500 and I eat about 1800 calories a day and I'm losing about a pound a week on average. *and I'm 5'1".

Honestly I breastfeed on demand , I just said 3 times a day to make it easier to explain, and while she eat solid as well off course I breastfeed her less than before.
    Only tracking kcal I ve lost 2 kg in 2 weeks, I ve started working out everyday from one week.
    I think I will need about 1900 calories a day but I ll ask my doctor.
    Thank you
  • GretaFlorio
    Lol I clicked on this when I read the title because I couldn't help looking to see who was trying to figure out how many calories were in breast milk.

Lol ... sorry my English need to be improved I know!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    No, your English is good! It sounds like your numbers are pretty reasonable -- 1 kg loss/wk is fast loss. If your avitar is a photo of you, you are really lean already. 0.25 kg/week might be a better goal (more sustainable and more muscle sparing). 1900/day sounds reasonable, but doctors often are not that tuned in to calorie specifics. Your own data is the most accurate guide.

Congrats on the baby!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    Really seasoned breastfeeders understand your language :)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    No, your English is good! It sounds like your numbers are pretty reasonable -- 1 kg loss/wk is fast loss. If your avitar is a photo of you, you are really lean already. 0.25 kg/week might be a better goal (more sustainable and more muscle sparing). 1900/day sounds reasonable, but doctors often are not that tuned in to calorie specifics. Your own data is the most accurate guide.

Congrats on the baby!

Yes doctors are good for some things but like said above the specifics are left up to the individual with living it as you go along!