How many steps a day?

Options

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    On a normal day without any intentional exercise, about 3k-4k. I push to get a min. Of 5k. Exercise workout days I get 7-8k or more. I rarely do more than 10k.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    usually I average 10,000-12,000 per day- Will do this for a few weeks then try to go up slowly.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    5,000- 8,000. Sometimes more sometimes less. It was an increase for me.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I average about 15K steps/day. I have a desk job but walk to work, walk on lunch and walk after lifting most days
  • jaquieduck
    jaquieduck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Over the last three months, I averaged 13,100/day. Now though, I am carless, so over the last week, I averaged 14,600.
  • Saltine24
    Saltine24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I take about 20,000 + steps a day during the week.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    10k just on gym/days off 20-25k on work days
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    manjuk75 wrote: »
    @GottaBurnEmAll

Hmm you mention migraines. I’m older (42) and 192 lb. I’m wondering now if my own nightly migraines have anything to do with HIT exercise. Doctors haven’t been able to diagnose. Nothing serious but just small headaches without a root cause that come and go!

I have chronic migraine, and I'm seeing a pretty heavy hitter neurologist for mine. My reaction to intense exercise is pretty immediate. Heavy lifting, anything like sprinting? Can't do it.

I do bodyweight exercises for strength training now to avoid the trigger. When I do run (currently no running because running and deficit eating don't mix well for me), I do it at a modest pace.

Everyone is likely different, though with their migraines. Don't go by what I experience! If you want to read more about it, look up "exercise induced migraines" or "exertional migraines" on Google.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    On most days, honestly, between 1500 to 2000. Right now I’m at 1581 and it’s dinner time. I have a standing desk and exercise intentionally most days. My husband and I both work at home and are in a family of introverted homebodies. My weekly trip to the grocery store is a big day out and then I cross the 3000 step mark.
  • mirapeerance
    mirapeerance Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    4-6,000 most days, but some days just 350! My excuse is I'm 71 and have joint problems which get worse if I push the exercise. but that app on the phone keeps me in touch with reality in terms of what sedentary means!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been averaging 13,000 day for quite a while (a year or so) now.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    My avarage is 11,000-13,000 steps. I bought a fitbit recently, and it has motivated me a lot to walk more. I've set my daily goal to 15,000 steps to have daily challenges.

anybody knows how it's possible to get in touch and keep track with other fitbit users? I'd love to have a few friends tracking their steps, too
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Arizona_C wrote: »
    My avarage is 11,000-13,000 steps. I bought a fitbit recently, and it has motivated me a lot to walk more. I've set my daily goal to 15,000 steps to have daily challenges.

anybody knows how it's possible to get in touch and keep track with other fitbit users? I'd love to have a few friends tracking their steps, too

Find fitbit friends here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My average over the last 6 month's has been 23383 steps a day but I find walking great therapy and live right next to a river (which is really just a creek) that has a dedicated walking/ cycling paththat is over 30 kms long.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    7000-9000. When I got my Fitbit I discovered I was only getting 3000-4000 which was kind of a shock to me, so I'm kind of proud I've doubled that. It's really helped my NEAT, which really helped me slowly shave off vanity pounds!

How much has your TDEE increased? 100-200 cals?

Same question to others who have increased their NEAT by walking.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I was averaging about 3500 a day when I got my new phone that has a step and stair counter. So now I get between 6 and 7k a day just because it makes me more aware that I'd like to get the step count higher. Surprising how that works!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Typically I do between 10 and 15k... more in the Spring/Fall... then I can get to 20k relatively easily (extra walk after dinner because it's still light out).