Recipe Request: Vintage cocktail party munchies

Options
2»

Replies

• mkoz005
    mkoz005 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your mother would be so proud of you!
    An easy dessert to add would be Rice Krispie Marshmallow treats. It has the wow factor of "I haven't eaten these since I was a kid!" Just slice them smaller.
    Enjoy your party and let us know how it went.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    LOVE those shoes!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Shoez are killer!
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Make sure you wear the proper apron!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

Totally - a cute apron is probably even more critical than the shoes!!!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    yeah photo of apron please :smiley:
  • Bailey00030
    Bailey00030 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    absolutely love the shoes. I have this retro apron that I LOVE

https://www.flirtyaprons.com/womens-apron-marilyn-sugar-n-spice?utm_source=google_shopping

For a 1950s appetizer- my grandmother always made Rumaki
  • shampbj
    shampbj Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just love this. The theme, you and your dad, cocktail parties in general. Just wanted to wish you best of luck!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    absolutely love the shoes. I have this retro apron that I LOVE

https://www.flirtyaprons.com/womens-apron-marilyn-sugar-n-spice?utm_source=google_shopping

For a 1950s appetizer- my grandmother always made Rumaki

that is a seriously cute pinny. This is mine. The photo doesn't do it justice. It is pink, lacy, and very very flouncy.
    xuic0d9izwli.jpg
  • Tedo201
    Tedo201 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oysters Rockefeller
  • LA2CHI125
    LA2CHI125 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you want one more quick main - Cucumber sandwiches! Either individual on mini-ryes, or on white bread cut in triangles. I love the cream cheese spread with dry Italian seasoning.
  • mirapeerance
    mirapeerance Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Beautiful dip: red salmon or trout roe in sour cream. remember cocktail parties in D.C. in the 60's. lightly salted potato chips or cucumber ovals. Yum yum.Y'all have fun!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Celery stuffed with cream cheese. Check allrecipes.com for grandma’s stuffed celery
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Believe me, the apron situation is well under control– I am a firm believer in in the use of aprons, retro party or no. I've had these two since Senior year of college, both from Jessie Steele– I use the leopard more as it's a little thicker and has a bit of a resistant sheen and use the Paris one more for baking (it's lighter and easier to shake flour from).

wmcabwtxfc9k.jpg
    lcmgj6ng8vv1.jpg

• vegaslounge
    edited February 2018
    Options
    that is a seriously cute pinny. This is mine. The photo doesn't do it justice. It is pink, lacy, and very very flouncy.
    xuic0d9izwli.jpg

So cute. I am a sucker for kitsch (ah, ya think?) And, the effectiveness of an apron is directly proportionate to its flounciness. More material = more debris catching, obviously.

Also, hello, fellow Home Depot shelf owner! :D
    gox7hhzq5bnn.jpg

• dsboohead
    Options

Believe me, the apron situation is well under control– I am a firm believer in in the use of aprons, retro party or no. I've had these two since Senior year of college, both from Jessie Steele– I use the leopard more as it's a little thicker and has a bit of a resistant sheen and use the Paris one more for baking (it's lighter and easier to shake flour from).

wmcabwtxfc9k.jpg
    lcmgj6ng8vv1.jpg

I would say you are ready.....tease up your hair at the crown and put on your pearls too!
  • mic1018
    mic1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For a dessert, there was always the one lime jello recipe with cottage cheese, pineapple and pecans....and sometimes maraschino cherries. Sounds weird, but it was actually pretty amazing. Search Pinterest for "vintage lime jello pineapple" recipe.....
  • vegaslounge
    edited February 2018
    Options
    mic1018 wrote: »
    For a dessert, there was always the one lime jello recipe with cottage cheese, pineapple and pecans....and sometimes maraschino cherries. Sounds weird, but it was actually pretty amazing. Search Pinterest for "vintage lime jello pineapple" recipe.....

Growing up with a Kentucky grandmother, I know exactly of what you speak. It turns out ANYONE with a Southern grandmother/auntie knows this recipe– or some variant of– no matter where they grew up. I have friends from CA, NYC, Chicago...and we all know this recipe.

For the record, my grandmother's version was lime Jello, cottage cheese, pistachio, mini marshmallows, topped with Cool Whip. There may have been other ingredients but I could never choke down a single bite in the 18 years I knew my grandmother. Her version was called "Frog Salad". I, for most of those 18 years, assumed it contained actual frog based solely on texture.

I loved my grandmother. But the ideal of the Southern Grandma making the most delicious meals you ever had...doesn't exactly hold up if you actually had one.