What is my responsibility?

I have this coworker who lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers in the last year. We've all congratulated her because the change is dramatic. However, now she started talking about fasting to get herself into ketosis so she can start eating keto. At first she said she was going to fast for a day, and then she felt like she did so well with it she extended the fast into a second day. That was last Friday and she apparently started eating keto over last weekend. During this week I saw her in the lunchroom a couple times and didn't think anything of it. Then today while I was talking about how myself and a couple other coworkers had made a Friday run to The Habit (amazing burger joint), she joked about getting a quadruple cheeseburger and eating it without the bun. And I was like, jeez a quadruple? And then she tells me she hasn't eaten anything since Wednesday. Later I saw her with a Wendy's bag so I guess she did go get her burger. It's the next part of the conversation the has me questioning what my obligations are to this woman and her health, because she stated that she wants to try for a longer fast, and that this month she's going to attempt an entire week. I asked, "Why would you want to do that?!" And she replied, "Because it's healthy!" I responded, "You're never going to convince me that not eating for an entire week is healthy." She walked away at that point. Now I know intermittent fasting is a thing, but isn't it usually like one day once or twice a week? This woman is not doing IF, she's descending into seriously eating-disordered behavior. I don't know her personally at all. But I feel like someone should be alerted to the fact that she's planning to try an entire week of fasting and spoke admiringly of people who achieved three week fasts! I thought of speaking to our mutual boss but I'm not sure......

What would you do?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I wouldn't do anything. None of my business. If I'm asked what I think about it I would express my opinion, my responsibility doesn't go beyond that. Simply telling you about something doesn't make it your business. If she isn't well-informed about the process, she will find out the hard way. I wouldn't press the matter in conversation either, unless she brings it up again or she is a close friend. As for telling the boss, I'm completely against that, what people eat or don't eat is personal.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Absolutely nothing. The great thing about free will is getting to choose what you do with your own life. the problem with it is you cant stop stupid people from being stupid.

Its sad but you have to let her make her own mistakes.
  • Shunitam
    Shunitam Posts: 9 Member
    Maybe she needs to educate herself more about intermittent fasting. That's not the way it works (not eating). You can eat, just certain foods between certain times. I also agree with everyone else no need to go to the boss. Her body and her life. It is nice that your concern. GL
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    edited February 2018
    Personally, I eat low carb, not keto and fast for 4 days at a time on occasion. If someone questioned me or spoke to my boss about it, I'd report them to HR. It's a personal thing.
    This made me smile because I agree with @Whitezombiegirl its a personal thing. OP: What could the mutual boss do anyway? This is a crazy idea, leave well alone.
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yeah, she's an adult and it's none of your business
    I Except she made it my business by telling me.
    I didn't ask, she volunteered it.
    OP: Its defo not your business just because someone tells you something, its a called a conversation. Just like this is, right here, right now.

Granted you have an opinion but that's all it is, your opinion. Just like I'm expressing mine now based on your post. Your not her mother and even if you were, I'd still argue the toss, its none of your beeswax.

I'm sure your intentions are good, but its her body, her life, her methods. I know people who fast for far longer than that and feel great for it. I also know people who wouldn't dream of entertaining it in the first place. Your responsibility is to yourself and that's it. Whatever you decide, good luck.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I have this coworker who lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers in the last year. We've all congratulated her because the change is dramatic. However, now she started talking about fasting to get herself into ketosis so she can start eating keto. At first she said she was going to fast for a day, and then she felt like she did so well with it she extended the fast into a second day. That was last Friday and she apparently started eating keto over last weekend. During this week I saw her in the lunchroom a couple times and didn't think anything of it. Then today while I was talking about how myself and a couple other coworkers had made a Friday run to The Habit (amazing burger joint), she joked about getting a quadruple cheeseburger and eating it without the bun. And I was like, jeez a quadruple? And then she tells me she hasn't eaten anything since Wednesday. Later I saw her with a Wendy's bag so I guess she did go get her burger. It's the next part of the conversation the has me questioning what my obligations are to this woman and her health, because she stated that she wants to try for a longer fast, and that this month she's going to attempt an entire week. I asked, "Why would you want to do that?!" And she replied, "Because it's healthy!" I responded, "You're never going to convince me that not eating for an entire week is healthy." She walked away at that point. Now I know intermittent fasting is a thing, but isn't it usually like one day once or twice a week? This woman is not doing IF, she's descending into seriously eating-disordered behavior. I don't know her personally at all. But I feel like someone should be alerted to the fact that she's planning to try an entire week of fasting and spoke admiringly of people who achieved three week fasts! I thought of speaking to our mutual boss but I'm not sure......

What would you do?

I would do nothing. You've already said something which is more than enough. Unless it is work related it's none of your business. And definitely not a reason to tell the boss.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Your responsibility is zero. Stay out of it. You say yourself you don’t know her personally, why would you think you have any responsibility of inserting yourself into her situation? She’s an adult.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    You let her know your thoughts when she told you her plan, what she does from here on in is her choice
    Just give the paramedics a heads up if she collapses at work