Just me banging on about make up

Options

Replies

• Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    I think eyeliners look hot on a guy & on woman it brings out there eyes .

g3g58qnu1hxq.jpeg

I like boys in eyeliner sometimes
  • Rebecca9048
    Rebecca9048 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like gel eyeliner applied with a tiny brush. I feel like it gives me the impact of a liquid eyeliner but is a little more user friendly. But I’m going to try that eyeshadow as eyeliner trick! My eyes are round and a little down turned, so I always wear eyeliner to perk them up a bit.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I've never tried gel eyeliner, don't like liquid. I'm old school, still use pencil. I rarely line the upper though. It looks heavy to me.

Sometimes I see others and all I immediately see is black stuff everywhere, but later you go "holy *kitten*.t, your eyes are green/blue/brown?!"

I've never contoured. I don't paint on my eyebrows either. I like it to look like some makeup, some pazazz, but not like wow, did you use a paint roller?

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,574 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Estee Lauder is for women over the age of 45 who have spent too much time in the sun.

Eye shadow is for haute couture models on the runway in Milan. It's useful only for theatrical purposes but it looks pretty in the compact.

Study Vogue magazine if you want to emulate the most beautiful women in the world and copy their makeup techniques. Hint: it's minimalistic.

Matter of opinion
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think I look weird with eye makeup so I don't do it.
    My main goal wearing makeup is to even out my complexion and add a little color to my lips and cheeks.
    I have never contoured.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    One thing I often wish I could pass on to older women who have lost a bunch of weight - which I am one of myself - fix your eyebrows! The emphasis on eyebrows today is very different than it was in 1987, and older women, particularly ones with thyroid problems, tend to have paler, thinner eyebrows, especially the outsides of the brows. You don't have to go full on Instagram brow, but a little bit of brow love to fill in and add contrast will make you look twenty years younger and much more up to date.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Eyebrows are such a thing now.
    I always get self conscious about my brows.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge when it comes to makeup is my hooded eyes. When I was younger the winged eyeliner was something that was feasible and a go-to look. Now I get by with a kitten wing that stops just short of where the eye fold starts. I also gave up on liquid liner and go for usually a dark brown eye shadow but go black from time to time. Take a bit on the inner upper lid as well as the kitten wing and it will almond out your eye shape if that's what you need. I don't put any liner in the middle since I don't have much lid space.

I'm really pale and cool toned so if I was to contour, I have the struggle of finding a light and cool enough brown. I gave that up and just contour with blush. Right now I'm using Bobby Brown so it's really light and natural.

My make-up must have is a good metallic or sparkling eye shadow for halos/inner corners and that shine right under the arch of the eyebrow. Oh! For me, I can't live without a green color corrector. I have a lot of red in my skin that I need to cancel out.

Makeup recommendation? Right now I've been really impressed with makeupgeek's foiled pigment in firefly. You add a little water to your brush to foil it and it goes on like liquid gold and stays vibrant.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a lot of make up any more if any. I think it makes me look like a man if I wear heavy make up.

Every day musts:
    I wear lip gloss, sunscreen moisturizer and primer to dull the shine. I curl my eyelashes every day whether I wear make up or not. I like meticulously groomed brows, but I don't fill them in (again, makes me look like a man).

When I wear make up I use shadow as eyeliner with an angled brush, bit of mascara and if I wear lipstick I always use a brush.

Biggest challenge is I never could get foundation to look good on me, my skin it typically good but could use a little help for the purple under my eyes and bit of rosacea.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    One thing I often wish I could pass on to older women who have lost a bunch of weight - which I am one of myself - fix your eyebrows! The emphasis on eyebrows today is very different than it was in 1987, and older women, particularly ones with thyroid problems, tend to have paler, thinner eyebrows, especially the outsides of the brows. You don't have to go full on Instagram brow, but a little bit of brow love to fill in and add contrast will make you look twenty years younger and much more up to date.

I agree with this. I feel like filling in my brows with the Skone brow wand or the similar Korean product from Etude House (cheap and works great) is what makes me look more polished, regardless of how much or how little other makeup I am wearing.

I've always loved wearing makeup but when I hit 40 awhile ago I felt like I was definitely in a rut. I subscribed to ipsy and birchbox and got to try a lot of fun new-to-me cosmetics. I wound up liking ipsy best and stuck with it.

I'm willing to spend some money on my favorite mascara of all time, tarte "Lights, Camera, Lashes". I have thick, dark lashes but they are somewhat short. This mascara makes them look so much longer and even better with Laura Geller eyelash primer underneath.

Lately I am a fan of liquid and matte lipsticks which I originally thought were way too young for me. The only issue I've had is some of them can flake off weirdly and I don't like that.

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I probably wear a lot less makeup now than I did back in middle school, when I'd buy a Maybelline eye shadow palette with four shades of purple and wear them all at once. Now it's usually just a tinted moisturizer/BB/CC cream, a swipe of mascara, and some sort of tint on my lips. It's only been the last year or so that I've started filling in my brows (Benefit Ka-Brow...was using Gimme Brow until the recent recall...actually I am scrounging up the dregs of my last container and hoping the product is back soon, as I haven't found another brow gel I like better) and it definitely makes a difference. Contouring seems too complicated...I think it's better for photographs than real life...and I think it works best on younger, fuller faces (as opposed to haggard 40somethings like myself). My greatest challenge is finding the perfect lipstick (my all time favorite shade...Clinique's "Nude Bloom" was discontinued ages ago). Colors always seem either too light or too dark for me. And they always seem to turn pinker than I want them. I don't know if it's my complexion or what, but I once even had the lady at the Bobbi Brown counter perplexed that colors that didn't appear remotely pink in the tube seemed to take on a definite pink cast on my lips. My cosmetics collection runs the gamut from higher end brands to the drugstore variety.
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't go crazy with the makeup, but two things I love? IT Cosmetics Bye,Bye Red completely erases any blemishes or red spots and does NOT look cakey. And, Eyeko liquid eyeliner is perfection. Makes my eyes look bigger and brighter.

Back when I worked for a small non-profit and made less than $20K a year, I had a part-time job selling makeup at a Chanel counter at a mall. I did learn to appreciate the power of a regular moisturizing routine but also learned to appreciate that big price does not equal big result. The magic product can be found at a makeup counter or in a drugstore. And? Makeup doesn't make you pretty - that comes from the inside - but it can be fun.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    +1 for eyeshadow as liner. Though I feel a bit wenchy wearing it.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use Mary Kay products as well... They have a liquid eye liner that is the ONLY one I've ever successfully put on my face without looking like an angry clown reject. I'm pretty low-maintenance. I *do* wear make-up to the office every day, but just CC cream, and eye make-up... and every once in a while some lipstick. I have a pic somewhere of me in 'Adam's Family' make-up (found it!).... which is the only time I"ve ever managed to do a full face and not look like a complete idiot...

Pics inside:
    Morticia:
    5ymqpt9cno6p.jpg

What I normally look like:
    bgkruqkkgito.png

The only 'must have' for me is moisturizer... I use it religiously.