gastroparesis

Options
Do anyone suffer from this disorder? and how do you handle it?

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I had it. It took about a year to heal and get things moving normally without pain, nausea, bloating.

Things that helped me:
    1. Reglen. A medicine that stimulates the stomach to contract.
    2. Low fat diet. Low residue diet.
    3. Pureed foods, foods with liquids like soups baby foods, brat diet, low residue diet.
    4. Spicy foods can be problematic.
    5. I found diet ginger ale, candied ginger helpful for nausea, gas.
    6. Drink adequate fluids.
    7. Try not to be sedentary. Short walks after meals help.
    8. Blood glucose management helps.
    9. Lots of info on the internet out there on reputable websites that can help.

Hopefully you will be fortunate and your situation will improve. I am sorry you are dealing with gastroparesis. It is certainly an uncomfortable illness to have.
  • Beetfoot2
    Beetfoot2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mine comes and goes with stress levels, but when I'm having problems I take apple cider vinegar pills and betaine HCL with pepsin with my dinner. Very helpful for bulky harder to digest meals. Fasting or eating very light during the day helped me as well.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »

I had it. It took about a year to heal and get things moving normally without pain, nausea, bloating.

Things that helped me:
    1. Reglen. A medicine that stimulates the stomach to contract.
    2. Low fat diet. Low residue diet.
    3. Pureed foods, foods with liquids like soups baby foods, brat diet, low residue diet.
    4. Spicy foods can be problematic.
    5. I found diet ginger ale, candied ginger helpful for nausea, gas.
    6. Drink adequate fluids.
    7. Try not to be sedentary. Short walks after meals help.
    8. Blood glucose management helps.
    9. Lots of info on the internet out there on reputable websites that can help.

Hopefully you will be fortunate and your situation will improve. I am sorry you are dealing with gastroparesis. It is certainly an uncomfortable illness to have.

Another thing that helps is smaller meals, and light snacks between meals. And give yourself time to digest your supper before going to bed.

If you lose too much weight because of not being able to eat with the gastroparesis, try glucerna or generic equivalent.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have it--and like the other poster stated, mine flares up with stress.
    I also have a rare form of colitis which requires the exact opposite diet as gastroparesis. When both were flaring up at the same time, I was in a bad situation.
    Like others have stated, I found that eating small frequent meals, getting adequate hydration, regular exercise, and pureed foods really help. We always have a case of Ensure in the house.
    I run into trouble if I go too long without eating so I always make sure to have a bar in my bag (Lara bars work well for me). I suffer from terrible pains that are really debilitating.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I use the Fast Tract Diet occasionally which has foods listed in accordance to their rate of digestion time and fermentation.
    Ps- be careful. 95% of MFP users have no empathy for people with GP and will assume it's an eating disorder. I've taken my fair share of cyber beatings here lol.
    Inb4thewoos (aka denial)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have gastroparesis and crohn's