I'm my own worst enemy...

Options
Apologies in advance if this post is rambling.

About 6 years ago I successfully dieted down from about 200lbs to about 130lbs. I'mfemale, pear shaped and 5'3". Since then I started weightlifting off and on and then last year a change of job meant I could get to the gym consistently and so I have been going every day, 5 days a week except for when I have a cold or am otherwise sick, or on holiday.

My weight has gradually crept up and I'm now about 160lbs. I kept ignoring the increases, putting it down to fluctuations and water weight and convincing myself I'd be back to normal in a few days. Well, my jeans are now ridiculously uncomfortable and tight and I refuse to buy a bigger size.

So I decided to go back on my diet. Benefits being I'd fit in my jeans comfortably again and I'd be able to show off the muscle I know I have built up under all this fat. Problem is I just can't stick to it and I don't know why. I mean, I did it before...im still the same person who had the discipline then, why can't I do it now? Maybe I don't want it badly enough?

I guess I am feeling a bit defeated all round today. :'(

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for taking the time to read/reply. It is appreciated. :)

As to your advice I'm definitely not being to strict on calories. Bearing in mind I'm short, sedentary job but 5 days of lifting I'm at 1600ish. Except when I give in to the doughnut, chocolate, cookies etc. I just can't seem to focus up and be disciplined enough to stick to it.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's probably small comfort to you, but your situation serves as a cautionary tale to me. Like you, I'm a short, pear-shaped female who went from 200 pounds to 130 starting about six years ago. Over the past few months my weight has been on an upward trend- time to get serious again.

My better health is my inspiration to make better choices. Hopefully whatever inspires you will help you on your way. All the best to you.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I went through three months of this. I had gained 14 pounds from April until August, in august I tried to get back on track. I was working out all the time but couldn't get my diet back on 100%, I kept getting cravings for snacks at night. On November 20, something finally just clicked. I now have the 14 pounds off and am on my way to goal, another 11-16 pounds. You just need to get your mind right and have that "click" moment. I'm sure you know what I mean. Just try to fight it one day at a time. We all know how hard it is. I have Sundays as free days and whatever I want during the week can wait until Sidney so I never feel deprived. I'm still losing 1-1.5 pounds a week. Tons of support here. Use it. Good luck

Ahhh yes, the 'click moment' that's exactly what I need. Don't think it can be forced though.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,692 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Are you logging everything? Religiously? In excruciating detail? Accurately? Comparing all values to published sources and the USDA and cross referencing? It is amazing how many times I've succeeded in walking away from something I *should* have walked away only because it was just too much trouble to accurately log that unknown bite or two! Laziness to the rescue!

And since I mentioned walking.... how about some walking or pacing in conjunction with your weights?
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I went through three months of this. I had gained 14 pounds from April until August, in august I tried to get back on track. I was working out all the time but couldn't get my diet back on 100%, I kept getting cravings for snacks at night. On November 20, something finally just clicked. I now have the 14 pounds off and am on my way to goal, another 11-16 pounds. You just need to get your mind right and have that "click" moment. I'm sure you know what I mean. Just try to fight it one day at a time. We all know how hard it is. I have Sundays as free days and whatever I want during the week can wait until Sidney so I never feel deprived. I'm still losing 1-1.5 pounds a week. Tons of support here. Use it. Good luck

Ahhh yes, the 'click moment' that's exactly what I need. Don't think it can be forced though.

That is the problem, it can't be forced. Believe me, I tried for those three months! Do the best you can until it comes. Maybe you'll surprise yourself.
  • powerof9
    powerof9 Posts: 49 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Apologies in advance if this post is rambling.

That's okay I trimmed it down a bit - LOL

About 6 years ago...

I guess I am feeling a bit defeated all round today. :'(

I'm sorry you're feeling that way right now. I feel that way sometimes too.

Just try taking it one day at a time.

Maybe try meditation for 5 or 10 minutes a day?

And then don't forget tomorrow is a new day

<3
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I eat all kinds of foods from Lean Cuisine to ice cream to Candy to wine ... to protein-rich fiber rich foods that are nutrient dense. I eat pizza and tacos and chicken breast and broccoli. These are real foods to me because they are really the foods that I am going to be eating the rest of my life.

You may have to aggressive a goal. You may need to eat a few more calories per day. And if you have your goal for losing weight set at 2 lbs per week maybe you should dial it back to one and a half pounds. This isn't a race.

Maybe you need to choose foods with higher protein or fat or fiber content so you are satisfied longer.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I understand how frustrating it can be feeling like you’re treading water or even moving backwards. But you’ve done something a lot of people don’t do: identified that you need to change something. And you did it before gaining back any more, which is awesome! Every month that you lose even a little bit or don’t gain you’ve made progress. The only way to fail is to give up. You can do this!
  • stigay
    stigay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This happened to me, and after regaining a good portion of my lost weight back, I couldn’t get back on track even though I wanted to re-lose the weight. I knew I needed to return to sticking to calorie limits, but I would feel like I NEEDED to eat and couldn’t stop eating. Like another poster, I finally had something ‘click’. Two things caused the click for me—a number on the scale that was too close to my starting weight for comfort, and a picture (featuring arm fat) that pretty much disgusted me. I’m now back to my low weight.
    So I guess for a suggestion, take some unflattering photos of yourself and embarrass yourself back on track.