Question about weighing food + reaction to sugar

Hi everyone,

I have tried to be meticulous in weighing food on my scale, but I have failed to figure out how to create my own food product with values I plug in from USDA? It seems to me that everything in the MFP database is wrong. Is that true even for the food that is measured in grams there? Confused. I don't want to quick add all my calories, I want to save meals with correct values.

Thankful for advice. Sorry I am sure it's been posted about but just can't find it. I can't scan barcodes since I am not using MFP on my phone.

Another note: I had half a creme brulee dessert yesterday to celebrate some good news. This is my first added sugar and milk product in a while. I got so sick from it, like my system couldn't take it! I just wished I had fruit instead. I don't think it is lactose intolerance, since I can eat yogurt and cottage cheese.

Of course it could have been a bad creme brulee, but it is interesting if I simply am becoming detoxed from added sugar - I had a major addiction to it. I am confused how people on a restricted diet (I am attempting 1200/day) can fit "normal" foods with sugar, butter etc in. I am still so shocked how many calories things have.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,111 Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621050/how-to-use-the-usda-food-database-mfp-food-database-for-accurate-logging

As for the dessert thing, if you cut out things for a while, sometimes your body takes time to adjust to eating them again.

Please do make sure that 1200 calories is suitable for you, a lot of new folks assume wrongly that they should choose the most aggressive rate of loss which is only really suitable for those who are obese and even then many can lose weight eating a lot more than 1200 calories.

Even at 1200 calories, that is your net intake and doesn't take into account any calories burned through exercise.

For example:

With a 1200 calorie intake you could fit in a sugary snack or some higher calorie foods by:
    • Eating less frequently (for example having lunch/dinner and an evening snack)
      Lunch 500 calories
      Dinner 500 calories
      Snack 200 calories
    • Eating back exercise calories as intended with MFP (for example a 30 minute workout that burns 200 calories)
      Breakfast 300 calories
      Lunch 400 calories
      Dinner 500 calories
      Snack 200 calories
    • Bulking out meals with lower calorie items to make more room for higher calories items to ensure meals are filling

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Sojo15 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have tried to be meticulous in weighing food on my scale, but I have failed to figure out how to create my own food product with values I plug in from USDA? It seems to me that everything in the MFP database is wrong. Is that true even for the food that is measured in grams there? Confused. I don't want to quick add all my calories, I want to save meals with correct values.

Thankful for advice. Sorry I am sure it's been posted about but just can't find it. I can't scan barcodes since I am not using MFP on my phone.

Another note: I had half a creme brulee dessert yesterday to celebrate some good news. This is my first added sugar and milk product in a while. I got so sick from it, like my system couldn't take it! I just wished I had fruit instead. I don't think it is lactose intolerance, since I can eat yogurt and cottage cheese.

Of course it could have been a bad creme brulee, but it is interesting if I simply am becoming detoxed from added sugar - I had a major addiction to it. I am confused how people on a restricted diet (I am attempting 1200/day) can fit "normal" foods with sugar, butter etc in. I am still so shocked how many calories things have.

I can tolerate yogurt and cottage cheese but not milk.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    I never have any problems adding foods. I just search “ribeye usda” (or whatever) in the MFP food list. Almost every food is correct. I did find some crazy broccoli the other day. 66 grams was like 3300 calories! LOL

As for the “sugar detox”, no clue. I don’t believe in cutting out sugar or detoxes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Thanks for the link! I was brought up on gallons and gallons of milk. That was not the thing I reacted to. I do believe refined sugar is unhealthy, see for ex this link: https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/the-sweet-danger-of-sugar

In the beginning of logging with MFP, cutting out most dairy, white rice, pasta and gluten, as well as added sugar, I had some kind of withdrawal. Extremely moody and headaches. After 2 weeks, that disappeared. I really believe I am addicted to sugar, be it purely psychological.

Often when you cut out a load of carbs, you feel rubbish... Because you lose a lot of water, and have electrolyte imbalances. It's why people doing keto can experience "carb flu" and are told to increase salts/electrolytes.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    It is quite possible you got sick from something other than the creme brulee.

^^ This. People have a tendency to think it was the last thing they ate that made them sick, when it actually could be something they ate six or eight hours before.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    As for your initial question about creating your own foods, there should be a link below the search results that says something like, "Didn't find what you were looking for? Create your own entry." At least there is on the web version.
  • Sojo15
    Sojo15 Posts: 87 Member
    Thanks for the link! I was brought up on gallons and gallons of milk. That was not the thing I reacted to. I do believe refined sugar is unhealthy, see for ex this link: https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/the-sweet-danger-of-sugar

In the beginning of logging with MFP, cutting out most dairy, white rice, pasta and gluten, as well as added sugar, I had some kind of withdrawal. Extremely moody and headaches. After 2 weeks, that disappeared. I really believe I am addicted to sugar, be it purely psychological.

Often when you cut out a load of carbs, you feel rubbish... Because you lose a lot of water, and have electrolyte imbalances. It's why people doing keto can experience "carb flu" and are told to increase salts/electrolytes.

Thank you for this, and it can very much be the truth! I was huge on carbs, it is my weakness. Baked goods etc. And I am sorry everyone, I did not mean to start this discussion. I would not compare sugar to drugs. I myself know people who struggled a lot with addiction.

I was just trying to describe something that happened after I rather drastically changed my diet. And it is interesting to know about the "no carb-effect." I should really work on hydration. I should say too that while I am a bit obsessed with this new diet, I feel much better physically. It is interesting to try something new. I do not in any way say it is the "right" way, and I admire people here who been on MFP for a long time and had success in making their lives healthier.

Cheers to everyone.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2018

Thank you for this, and it can very much be the truth! I was huge on carbs, it is my weakness. Baked goods etc. And I am sorry everyone, I did not mean to start this discussion. I would not compare sugar to drugs. I myself know people who struggled a lot with addiction.

I was just trying to describe something that happened after I rather drastically changed my diet. And it is interesting to know about the "no carb-effect." I should really work on hydration. I should say too that while I am a bit obsessed with this new diet, I feel much better physically. It is interesting to try something new. I do not in any way say it is the "right" way, and I admire people here who been on MFP for a long time and had success in making their lives healthier.

Cheers to everyone.

I don't remember the specifics, but I believe part of reducing low carb/keto flu is through increasing sodium. I'm sure if you search the forums for low carb/keto flu, you will find some answers. If you are past that stage, you should be fine.

I'm not jumping into the addiction thing, working inner city with substance abuse has created some very strong opinions on the matter.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    @Sojo15 No need to be sorry, you were just asking questions. I'm glad you are in the process of figuring out what works for you :smile: