1200 calorie successes?

Options

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    sometimes your body will hold onto your fat more if it thinks you are starving the body is smart.

well, no, not exactly that. If you are eating at deficit you will lose fat (although you may not be healthy depending on how big a deficit and the nutrition content of the food)

what will happen if you diet long term and suddenly stop and return to normal the body will start to store more fat in case you go into another "famine" (your body doesn't know you cut your calories on purpose). So its regain that is the problem. You can avoid this by not going back to "normal" quickly, but easing into a regime that is eventually "normal". This will probably include slowly increasing calories and exercise, and concentrating on maintenance.

• Christinesomething
    Options
    I've just started 1200 a day. I've been inspired by the subreddit /r/1200isplenty. They are an amazing group of people and so insightful. 1200 is def enough!
  • Averagechick2015
    Averagechick2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah I started on 1200 a day I do spinning 2 x a week for 20 minutes a time and 2 x a week circuit training (HIIT training) 10-15 minutes works really well and the exercise is really enjoyable! Slow and steady wins the race!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    sometimes your body will hold onto your fat more if it thinks you are starving the body is smart.

well, no, not exactly that. If you are eating at deficit you will lose fat (although you may not be healthy depending on how big a deficit and the nutrition content of the food)

what will happen if you diet long term and suddenly stop and return to normal the body will start to store more fat in case you go into another "famine" (your body doesn't know you cut your calories on purpose). So its regain that is the problem. You can avoid this by not going back to "normal" quickly, but easing into a regime that is eventually "normal". This will probably include slowly increasing calories and exercise, and concentrating on maintenance.

@sytchequeen I was reading this thread and trying to figure out for way too long why I didn't remember writing this post.... :D
  • blackcatfitness
    blackcatfitness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I switched from eating like crap, to going completely whole food plant based in a matter of a few days. Its almost been 30 days. I'm 5ft3 and 177lbs. I am small in my chest and shoulders, belly area, but have BIG hips and a big *kitten*...big calves...big thighs lol

When I was 125lbs I didn't look normal cause you could see my chest bones. I started from 215 so I'm getting better... Am thinking I would like to be 130-140
  • SalmonSister
    SalmonSister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    On 1200 calories currently and love it, I am down 13.8 lbs and have totally revamped my eating habits..more healthy, less processed!
  • Rcragnut
    Rcragnut Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Calorie restricted between 1200-1500 per day. Coupled with cardio/circuit Lost 34 ibs in 4 months. Open diary, feel free to add me. Like them posts and comments!
  • aleikita
    aleikita Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    5’4 starting weight 12 weeks ago was 150lbs. Currently 138lbs and happy I chose to go with 1200 a day, still have quite a bit to go before I get to my goal.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    AMC110 wrote: »
    amfmmama wrote: »
    1200 is not the default for all women. I have put in to lose 2 lb a week. My starting weight was 227 and I am far from sedentary. My goal is 1310. I have lost pretty steadily since starting back up.

Exactly, I know factors such as height have an effect but it confuses me when someone says they started out at 1200 when they weighed about 260 lbs. I was given a calorie goal of 1360 when I joined and weighed close to 260 lbs. It only reduced to 1200 when I had gotten down to 228 lbs.

when I started at 209 lbs it gave me 2000 calories to eat. Im 5'6 1/2 and 43 yrs old(I was 37 almost 38 at that time). I was sedentary at that time too. I also have a metabolic disorder and still lost weight. Im down to 174 and eating a little over 1400 for a 1lb a week.I still have like 30+ lbs. if and when I get to 150 I will reevaluate where I want to be.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Am on 1250 a day since November and lost 13lbs but I think that's partly because I cut my carbs in my macros too to a third of what I used to eat. I have another 15lbs to go to get to goal weight of 126lbs.

weight fluctuates often so you cant get down to one number(you will see fluctuations often being a woman and its normal).Its more of a weight range so for you that may be 126-132 or it could be less.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

no your body will not hold onto fat in a deficit of calories in case of the next famine. thats an old myth. if you are on a deficit too long your body goes into adaptive thermogenesis. if your body held onto fat people who are starving or anorexic and so on would not continue to lose weight. most people who think they are eating 1200 and not losing often times are eating more than they think and they are eating maintenance calories(if its not a health issue). the only way to tell is by using a food scale. if someone is not losing eating 1200 calories either they arent logging/weighing properly, using wrong entries,been eating too little for too long(which eating more can help with hormones and the adaptive thermogenesis) ,theres a health issue or they dont have a lot left to lose so it has slowed way down. which happens with everyone.
  • blackcatfitness
    blackcatfitness Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I am 5ft 4 (almost lol) and my app says for me to eat 1600 a day.

I simply can't. I can sometimes hit 1100.
    I am a whole food plant based eater, and with all the exercise I do...sometimes it'll go up to 2k a day. Its hard for me to intake so many calories when I do not eat meat dairy or sugar
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 4 (almost lol) and my app says for me to eat 1600 a day.

I simply can't. I can sometimes hit 1100.
    I am a whole food plant based eater, and with all the exercise I do...sometimes it'll go up to 2k a day. Its hard for me to intake so many calories when I do not eat meat dairy or sugar

You need to eat those 1600 cals so add calorie dense items ie more oil when cooking, nut butters, nuts etc
  • jigglybits
    jigglybits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with 1200
  • brianna3152
    brianna3152 Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

no your body will not hold onto fat in a deficit of calories in case of the next famine. thats an old myth. if you are on a deficit too long your body goes into adaptive thermogenesis. if your body held onto fat people who are starving or anorexic and so on would not continue to lose weight. most people who think they are eating 1200 and not losing often times are eating more than they think and they are eating maintenance calories(if its not a health issue). the only way to tell is by using a food scale. if someone is not losing eating 1200 calories either they arent logging/weighing properly, using wrong entries,been eating too little for too long(which eating more can help with hormones and the adaptive thermogenesis) ,theres a health issue or they dont have a lot left to lose so it has slowed way down. which happens with everyone.

^2ND THIS!
  • MailOrderBride
    MailOrderBride Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    easyvegan wrote: »
    I started out at 150 llbs and now I'm at 138.6llbs, and that was over 2 months although with Christmas and all the temptations I did fluctuate but maintains a weight of 140llbs, my goal is 135llbs so I'm confident that I'll be able to get it by the end of the month. After that I want to drop to either 130, or 125 but I am going to *kitten* the situation once I'm down to 135 llbs because I don't want to lose weight for the sake of it, I want to get toned and some muscle too!

What I love about eating 1200 Kcal is that it's really brought to my attention how much I used to snack, how out of control my portion sizes were and how calorically dense the foods I were eating too, it may not be a healthy way to live your life permanently but to rewire your brain into how to make better choices I'm so for it!

So awesome to hear that! I stated a few weeks ago at 149.7 and now down to 144.6! My goal is about the same as yours, 131! Great to know that there’s a light :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!