1-2 meals a day or multiple?

Options
I usually just eat 2 big meals a day, but I’m trying to eat every 2-3 hours now to see if it helps prevent cravings and overeating.
Does anybody have success stories from doing this? Do you feel better doing one or the either?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I ate every 2-3 hours because that's what you're "supposed" to do. 3 or 4 meals per day is just as fine. But I would be reluctant to try 1 or 2 meals per day. So the questions I have to you, is - how many meals are you planning to eat per day, now? How many calories? Are you eating a balanced and varied diet, or depriving yourself?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I prefer eating 2-3 times per day, and find eating more often (lots of little meals) makes me unsatisfied. Fewer big meals for me.

It's personal, though -- try both and see what you prefer.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    It depends what you call a meal. I have breakfast, lunch and dinner and then 2 snack meals in between. This works for me, but you have to find what works best for you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I prefer two meals because I do not like to eat in the morning. Time meals in a way that works for you.
  • YogaBoxer79
    YogaBoxer79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1-2 meals a day might work for some. However, having had issues with restrictive diet and binge episodes, I'm pretty sure that would instigate some bad habits for myself. I tend to eat 4-6 times a day (every few hrs) and it works really well for me. It allows for nutritional variety, keeps me satiated throughout the day and ensures I keep myself on track.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    On nonlifting days, I eat one large meal. On lifting days, I have a snack (usually a protein shake) prior to lifting. I don't have to take food to work, worry about when I'm going to eat, and I get to eat a ton of food at once when I get home in the evening! If I eat more often, I will snack my way through the day and end up with far more calories and terribly unbalanced macros.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat 2 big meals a day, but I’m trying to eat every 2-3 hours now to see if it helps prevent cravings and overeating.
    Does anybody have success stories from doing this? Do you feel better doing one or the either?

Well going from your previous posts I would say the cravings and 'overeating' is due to the fact you only eat fruit and vegetables and probably not eating sufficient calories.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I prefer eating 2-3 times per day, and find eating more often (lots of little meals) makes me unsatisfied. Fewer big meals for me.

It's personal, though -- try both and see what you prefer.

Same. I want at least one substantial (650+ calorie) meal per day. 6 tiny meals just wouldn't cut it. Don't worry about what you should do; just find what works for you and do it.

Make sure you're getting sufficient quantities of fat and protein in the process.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I eat one meal a day, spreaded over 2-3 because it's a large amount of food. I've been doing it for the past month and it's working like a charm. I eat food I truly enjoy and my cravings went away. I still weight my food and count calories, but daily ~21 h fast was a game changer for me.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options

Well going from your previous posts I would say the cravings and 'overeating' is due to the fact you only eat fruit and vegetables and probably not eating sufficient calories.

And how is this helpful? I like eating my fruit and vegetables, I find that I do eat enough calories (2000-3000 calories a day, actually), and “overeating” is just overeating. As in, I’ve reached 2500 calories for the day but then decide to eat 1000 calories worth of airpopped popcorn. Sound impossible? Haha nope
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Always eat a couple meals a day! I have always always had success with it. I couldnt even imagine eating 2 meals a day. Id die of starvation for sure haha its proven that more meals a day, 5-6 smaller meals per day is actually better for metabolism and successful weight loss rather than 2 meals. 2 meals seems more like youd be binge-ing and starving which would def make me not wanna diet hahah

Some people find better success eating two meals a day rather than 5-6. It's personal preference and doesn't do anything for your metabolism.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I eat two meals a day: lunch and dinner. In between, I usually have a banana when I get home from work and I have a tea and maybe a snack before bed depending on how I feel and how many calories I have left:).
    This is ideal for me, I think it’s good to try a few tweaks and see what works for you.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

And how is this helpful? I like eating my fruit and vegetables, I find that I do eat enough calories (2000-3000 calories a day, actually), and “overeating” is just overeating. As in, I’ve reached 2500 calories for the day but then decide to eat 1000 calories worth of airpopped popcorn. Sound impossible? Haha nope

But are you getting enough protein and fat? Are you reaching those macro goals? They are extremely important for optimum health.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I think the point she was making is that you are most likely experiencing cravings, and overeating in response, because of all the stuff you won't eat. And that it's possible no matter how many times you eat per day, your body will continue to ask for what it's missing, regardless of what you like.

Anyway, I feel better eating 3 meals plus a couple of snacks, but not eating in the AM. I've never been much if a big meal person, I feel really heavy if I eat a ton all at once, so eating one or two big meals would never work for me. But im not hungry in the morning so i stopped forcing myself to eat until i was hungry, which is lunch time. Meal timing is personal preference, so spreading your eating out more could help.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

But are you getting enough protein and fat? Are you reaching those macro goals? They are extremely important for optimum health.

I reach them most days. I get between 35-65 grams of protein a day depending on what I eat, 10-20g fat, and 382949471724 grams of carbs.
    kimny72 wrote: »

I think the point she was making is that you are most likely experiencing cravings, and overeating in response, because of all the stuff you won't eat. And that it's possible no matter how many times you eat per day, your body will continue to ask for what it's missing, regardless of what you like.

Anyway, I feel better eating 3 meals plus a couple of snacks, but not eating in the AM. I've never been much if a big meal person, I feel really heavy if I eat a ton all at once, so eating one or two big meals would never work for me. But im not hungry in the morning so i stopped forcing myself to eat until i was hungry, which is lunch time. Meal timing is personal preference, so spreading your eating out more could help.

And I guess you’re right. I get a bit defensive about my eating habits. I apologize to her for snapping.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I personally do better with 2 main meals, lunch and latish dinner, with a small snack at bedtime, or whenever I actually get hungry otherwise. Trying to space out a bunch of small meals was annoying, and breakfast doesn't usually sit well until I have been up for a couple hours. My husband is similar, but my Mom has to eat every couple hours, or she starts feeling lousy. And my brother has to be reminded to eat at all, and to stop talking long enough to actually get the food in his mouth
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My preference is to eat a couple of big meals and some snacks. I don't like to eat breakfast, although I do need to eat something in the morning in order to take a medication, so I generally will eat something quick in the morning and then eat again in the evening.