Getting enough protein

Options

Replies

• MailOrderBride
    MailOrderBride Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    imfornd wrote: »
    How do you guys do it? My macros are 50% carbs, 25 fat and 25 protein. I can barely maje it it to 20% protein. I eat yogurt, lentils, tuna, chicken and meat, but cannot eat meat at every meal. I’m losing weight, but would like to get to where I need to be with macro goal set up by a nutritionist.

What is your goal..... endurance, muscle general fitness, cover model???

All of the above. Too much? :smile:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    How do you guys do it? My macros are 50% carbs, 25 fat and 25 protein. I can barely maje it it to 20% protein. I eat yogurt, lentils, tuna, chicken and meat, but cannot eat meat at every meal. I’m losing weight, but would like to get to where I need to be with macro goal set up by a nutritionist.

In the US ANYONE can call themselves a nutritionist, no training, education, experience, NOTHING required. If you want dietary advice from a professional see someone that is a Registered Dietitian.

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

In the US ANYONE can call themselves a nutritionist, no training, education, experience, NOTHING required. If you want dietary advice from a professional see someone that is a Registered Dietitian.

That's not true, it varies on a state by state basis (although in no states is the requirement anywhere near as high as a rd program).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The Dietary Guidelines for Americans suggest a range of 10-35% of calories from protein. I'm older, lift weight and my main goal is maintain/build muscle. I eat around 175-200g of protein (bodyweight of 205) so I'm between 25-30% of my average 2800-3000 daily calories from protein.

If I decide to to something like some long running/biking/hiking, etc, I'll drop the protein to around 20-25% of calories for a while and bump up carbs.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

That's not true, it varies on a state by state basis (although in no states is the requirement anywhere near as hiigh as a rd program).

I unfortunately have to agree. My stats were calculated and printed by a body scan. The only advice given by this “nutritionist” was to download this app and work out and stuff. When I addressed my slower metabolism and propensity to retain water, she was confused and went back to her shtick. I’m happy I got this app, but didn’t need to pay 300 bucks to be told to do so. Next time I go to a dietician.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, I think you want this to go in Food and Nutrition, OP, not debate. You can ask that it be moved.

We can debate!

Is protein all it’s cracked up to be? And is it better to have lower protein intake versus using supplements and powders?

I tend to add protein powder to coffee in the morning... just not really hot coffee or it will curdle. <shiver> I experience the dawn phenomenon where my blood glucose readings tend to be highest first thing in the morning often as high as 6 (or 100). a bit of extra protein in the am seems to help it come down faster, possibly from the insulin response from protein.

Even without the BG rise, I like PP because I have a hard time getting my protein where I want it. I tend to favour fattier meats so that can make it harder.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, I think you want this to go in Food and Nutrition, OP, not debate. You can ask that it be moved.

We can debate!

Is protein all it’s cracked up to be? And is it better to have lower protein intake versus using supplements and powders?

I don't feel a need to debate; it just seemed like you were wanting advice, not a debate.

Is protein all it's cracked up to be? Depends. Minimum protein is important, but it's hard not to meet that unless you have a really restrictive diet. Beyond that, some people find it helps with satiety, but not everyone. When you are losing weight, it's helpful to maintain muscle, but hardly the only thing that matters. I think a broad range of .65-.85 g per lb (goal weight works) is good for weight loss (for me that's 78 g at the low end), and that less is fine at maintenance with an understanding that if you want to recomp or build muscle getting within that range is probably a good idea.

Is it better to have lower protein vs. supplements and powder? Depends on how low and why you don't like the supplements or why you can't get it in other ways. I don't think there's anything wrong with protein powder except that you might not find it as satisfying or might not enjoy the taste. Obviously protein powders are quite varied. I'm not sure what you mean by supplement other than protein powder (maybe protein bars), but if you mean something like tofu or tempeh, I wouldn't consider that a supplement at all, it's quite common and traditional in Asian cooking.

I like to get about 20-30 g at breakfast, and when eating eggs and dairy I do that easily, but on occasion I enjoy smoothies or oats and might add protein powder to increase the amount in that meal. I do this more now that I'm eating far less animal products, but it's not necessary if you want to avoid those sources of protein; I hit my goals on days I don't have protein powder too.

I suspect the reason most consume protein bars is less for protein and more because they tend (for some) to be more satiating alternatives to candy bars. (I have this thing where I eat peanut and dark chocolate Kind bars (the best ones!) whenever I'm traveling because you can always find them at an airport, but those aren't especially high protein anyway, and I do think of them as basically candy bars.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    As far as I can see on a skim-through, no one recommended this thread, so I will, even though I'm late to the party:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It's not vegetarian, I am, and it still helped me a bunch.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    FWIW I struggled initially with protein, but I found that adding hard boiled eggs, full fat greek yogurt, and tuna as snacks helped boost my counts. I also found my moods evened out when I upped my protein and I didn't have the urgent dips in my energy/hunger cues -- everything just evened out. Like you, my sugar goes high because of the fruits, but I'm kind of at the point where my doctor isn't worried about my sugars and I'm feeling a lot better generally, so I'm not going to stress it.

I tried a protein powder in my fruit smoothies and it was really, really gross - made it very frothy and weird to the point where I couldn't injest the smoothie without gagging.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas and advice. My issue with protein powder comes from extensive research into products that have chemical additives and have been recalled for being dangerous or even having rat droppings! I’ve ordered some pure organic hemp powder with about 19 grams per serving, so we will see how it goes. Most importantly, it has one ingredient :smiley:

That's fine if you want to go with pure organic hemp. However, don't fool yourself into thinking that organic products don't get rat droppings in them during the processing/packaging process.

So I get my protein after all.Win win.

• MailOrderBride
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    As far as I can see on a skim-through, no one recommended this thread, so I will, even though I'm late to the party:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It's not vegetarian, I am, and it still helped me a bunch.

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP with so little to lose, 2lbs is an accident waiting to happen, of the hitting the wall variety. You really shouldn't be aiming for more than 1 lb per week. Eating so low cal is most likely part of the reason you are struggling to get protein and feeling hungry sometimes

When I was losing, I was eating 1500 cals and getting 85 - 90g with chicken, tuna, salmon, Greek yogurt, lentils, eggs, chocolate milk, protein powder, and the smaller stuff adding up like whole grains, beans, PB, and some protein enriched convenience foods.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How much do you want to eat? During the week, i eat fish once a day, but otherwise all my other protein is vegetarian - I aim for, and easily get 130g.

Have you tried increasing the amount of protein foods you eat per meal? More yoghurt (I add protein powder to high protein, low fat natural yoghurt for more protein, flavour and sweetness without adding carbs). Other dairy. A bigger serve of meat.

I’d love to hear more about your veggie protein sources. I eat tons of yogurt, eggs, lentils, etc. For example, I just made Borcht, so I add Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) for an added boost of protein.

If you eat "tons" of those things, you'd have no issue getting 78g. My first meal is eggs with vegies and Parmesan - 1 jumbo egg, 2 jumbo egg whites and 20g cheese, plus the protein from my vegies (mushrooms give a decent amount!)... I think that meal is about 30g protein?

Planning helps - I typically wouldn't have a vegetable soup as a meal as its hard to get protein in.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options
    How much do you want to eat? During the week, i eat fish once a day, but otherwise all my other protein is vegetarian - I aim for, and easily get 130g.

Have you tried increasing the amount of protein foods you eat per meal? More yoghurt (I add protein powder to high protein, low fat natural yoghurt for more protein, flavour and sweetness without adding carbs). Other dairy. A bigger serve of meat.

I’d love to hear more about your veggie protein sources. I eat tons of yogurt, eggs, lentils, etc. For example, I just made Borcht, so I add Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) for an added boost of protein.

If you eat "tons" of those things, you'd have no issue getting 78g. My first meal is eggs with vegies and Parmesan - 1 jumbo egg, 2 jumbo egg whites and 20g cheese, plus the protein from my vegies (mushrooms give a decent amount!)... I think that meal is about 30g protein?

Planning helps - I typically wouldn't have a vegetable soup as a meal as its hard to get protein in.
    You’ve never had Borcht! Not only is it meat based but you also add sour cream :) high protein as far as soups go plus the beets and garlic are a super immune booster.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP with so little to lose, 2lbs is an accident waiting to happen, of the hitting the wall variety. You really shouldn't be aiming for more than 1 lb per week. Eating so low cal is most likely part of the reason you are struggling to get protein and feeling hungry sometimes

When I was losing, I was eating 1500 cals and getting 85 - 90g with chicken, tuna, salmon, Greek yogurt, lentils, eggs, chocolate milk, protein powder, and the smaller stuff adding up like whole grains, beans, PB, and some protein enriched convenience foods.

It seems like Little, but I’ve struggled got three years. Perhaps I was overly ambitious. Thanks for the advice.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    arsenic is a naturally occurring one ingredient mineral- and it's not particularly good for you- so I don't really think that's a good litmus test for what you should be eating.