C section help

Options
Mslmesq
Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
Three and a half years ago I had a csection. My waistline, whether from the pregnancy or csection, has never been the same. I used to have a very hour glass figure, but now I look more straight up and down from waist to hip. Is there anything I can do via exercise to target my waist line, or is this just the price of creating a human? (Which I’m ok with if it is, but would still prefer my waist back if possible. Lol.)

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Options
    No. I don’t squat. But pre-pregnancy to post-pregnancy my hips remained the same. 32. My waist however increased from a 24 to a 27. :/. I still plan on losing 5 more pounds, so that may help a little. But not three inches.

And I was a 32-24-32 most of my life. Didn’t have a child until age 44. So I had a very hour glass figure which I really liked.
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Also, my main form of exercise has been cardio and pilates with other stuff mixed in. But I just recently discovered trx and like it.

I used to weight train years ago, but injured my shoulder. I’ve been scared to pick it up again since then.
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Right now cardio is about 5 times a week. Pilates 2-3 times a week. And I’m willing to do more resistance via trx training.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    2 pregnancies and C-sections did not change my waist-to-hip ratio (hourglass, tending toward pear when I gain). Sounds like your fat distribution may have shifted a bit. Do you have weight to lose?
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Have you checked for abdominal separation? It is very common after pregnancy. Some core exercises can actually make it worse.

How do I check for that?
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    2 pregnancies and C-sections did not change my waist-to-hip ratio (hourglass, tending toward pear when I gain). Sounds like your fat distribution may have shifted a bit. Do you have weight to lose?

Just a little more. Maybe 5 pounds. Technically I was very thin before getting pregnant, but I'm getting older, so not sure I'd look good that thin anymore. But my waist ratio definitely shifted. I can tell in a bathing suit especially.

• Mslmesq
    Options
    imfornd wrote: »
    Truth be told,,, more resistance training 4 days a week at least and 3 days cardio... You can do all the cardio you want if you don't have the muscle on the body to burn the calories you never get the results you desire

Protien 40%
    Fat 40%
    Carbs 20%

Its not Keto but it is low carb

Does trx count?

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I did not have a c-section and even though I was back at pre-baby weight-and normal BMI 1 year after the birth of my first my waist never went back to it's original size.

You have a 27 inch waist. That may be as good as it gets for you-and that's damn good!
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    I did not have a c-section and even though I was back at pre-baby weight-and normal BMI 1 year after the birth of my first my waist never went back to it's original size.

You have a 27 inch waist. That may be as good as it gets for you-and that's damn good!

Thank you. I'm ok with it if it was the price of having my son. Certainly wouldn't change that. But if there is anyway to get my waist back, I want it. Lol. Admittedly, I used to be a little vain about my figure. But it was very swimsuit friendly and I was proud of it. Now it's just tomboy. Lol.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Have you checked for abdominal separation? It is very common after pregnancy. Some core exercises can actually make it worse.

How do I check for that?

Here's one video that explains how to do a self check
    https://youtu.be/ajyWgiiKGnk
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Mslmesq wrote: »

How do I check for that?

Here's one video that explains how to do a self check
    https://youtu.be/ajyWgiiKGnk

Thank you. That was interesting. Albeit, I'd say after 3.5 years it probably doesn't matter anyways. But I did take it very easy at the beginning and my Pilates trainer probably did things the right way cause she was very good.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    As well as the DR, (do check for it, and find a PhysioT to help repair it if you do have it), go to your doc and get checked for peri-menopause.

You are in your late 40's now so may be going through some hormonal changes.
    With this comes an increase in visceral fat surrounding the organs.

Luckily visceral fat responds well to a calorie deficit and cardio.

Once your, maybe, DR, has been corrected work towards strengthening your core muscles.

Not sure, given your measurements (but no height or weight), whether you should aim for a further 5lbs loss, you may be better doing a recomp.

Cheers, h.