Carb intake.

Options
Okay, so naturally now that im taking my change of lifestyle serious w clean eating and excercise, my body is craving carbs. This morning I was fening for a bagel, which i happily did not deprive my self of. My question how much carbs should i be eating on 1, 500 Cal goal 1lb week, 120mim excercise a week?

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    What did you get when you input your info for you goals on MFP? It defaults to 50% carb calories, but you can change that in 5% increments as long as you keep the total from Carb-Fat-Protein at 100%
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    sassy1fp wrote: »
    Okay, so naturally now that im taking my change of lifestyle serious w clean eating and excercise, my body is craving carbs. This morning I was fening for a bagel, which i happily did not deprive my self of. My question how much carbs should i be eating on 1, 500 Cal goal 1lb week, 120mim excercise a week?

You can have as many carb-containing foods as you want, as long as that doesn't prevent you getting enough of essential nutrients like proteins, fats, fiber, micronutrients.

Strictly speaking, carbs aren't an essential nutrient, but some people definitely do better if they include carbs in their eating.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    You can track carbs in your food diary and it gives you a goal daily.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options
    There are really only two reasons to limit carb intake. One is to avoid filling up your calorie target with low nutrition food, since many high carbohydrate foods contain little else but calories (potato chips, for example).

Potato chips are mostly fat, they aren’t a high carb food. Baked potatoes would be a high carb food.

You have a point. I consider them high carb because carbohydrates do make up over a third of the calories (36% for Wavy Lay's). They are an empty calorie food. Perhaps snack crackers and Hostess cakes would have been a better example.

Potato chips are a pretty good source of potassium, actually.
  • hoopduck
    hoopduck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That depends on what your long and short term goals are. Low carb, high fat diets like Paleo, Atkins, and Keto have helped many people shed weight. I am doing keto right now, and limit my carbs to under 25 net grams per day, and keep within my calorie deficit. I eat vegetables, meats, a bit of dairy, and healthy fats like butter and coconut oil. In the first three weeks I lost 14 pounds. Carbs do not need to make up a large portion of our diets unless we choose to consume them.