gallbladder surgery

Options
so it looks like i need to have my gallbladder taken out, scheduled for next month for a frustrating array of reasons. my trigger seems to have been the weight loss and isn't related to foods.

anyone here care to share their recovery tips? i was completely caught off guard that it would be two weeks before i was able to go back to work.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed laparoscopically years ago. Everyone seems to be different in their post-surgery needs, but I took 3 weeks off from work and didn't need them. I was bored puttering around my sister's house after the first week, but then I work a desk job and probably could have managed more easily than someone with a more active career. Mine was serious enough that they chose to leave a drain in me to be removed a little while later, but it was no big deal. More an embarrassment to hide than a serious concern.

Some things that took me off guard: I sleep on my side or stomach and couldn't do either for a short while after the surgery. It turns out you need your ab muscles to balance on your side and it will hurt to try. Stock up on pillows to prop yourself up. Likewise I couldn't sit up out of bed for the first day or two and needed a hand. I was also constipated for a couple of weeks which is normal. They'll probably send you home with a stool softener and you should take them. But again, everyone is different.

For the first year, any meal with high fats would send me rushing to the bathroom an hour later. That has eased off for me, but some people struggle with it for life. You'll just have to wait and see.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had gallstones due to weight loss, suffered terribly for months, I finally had surgery back in October and I have been fine ever since, I did gain some weight which I mentally prepared for as I was on such a restricted diet before surgery that a week after surgery I did go a little mad with the indulgence lol anyway if you have any questions feel free to message me, I would like to add though I don't work so I can't answer the questions about going back to work but I can answer other questions and help you the best I can, take care x
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    thanks folks, it's helpful to hear other stories. I am relatively healthy (other than being overweight and working on losing weight) so I'm a good candidate for the laproscopic surgery and they expect (barring any complications) I'll be home that night.

I plan on taking the rest of the work week off (the surgery is on a wednesday) and then working from home the following week provided I'm able to do so with the drugs. I am superbly bummed about not being able to swim for a bit and definitely wary of what is going to happen to food things afterwards; a few folks that I know have had this and some have ended up not being able to eat dairy following the surgery which... I know i'd get over, but that would be a hard one.

what kind of foods did you eat following surgery? how mobile were you a few days after? Like, could you walk around the block?
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had mine out a few years back. I couldn't sit up or move really for about a week after my surgery. I'd suggest finding somewhere you can prop yourself all day which has painkillers and water within reach! Once I was in a position I wasn't moving unless I *really* needed to as it was so painful and my abs just didn't work. I also spent most of the first week sleeping and only gradually managed a brief shuffling walk (by the end of week 1) and was knackered after so slept the rest of the day.

As for food, in general I'm not too bad. My diet was never overly high fat so there haven't been many changes. Thankfully I can still have chocolate and ice cream - yay! - and the occasional burger or sausage sandwich. I have discovered that if I eat some things with a certain amount of fat without having I guess coated my insides with something else first, I'll be rushing to the loo within about 30 mins with horrid cramps. That's all trial and error for me, I'm aware of what I can and cannot have. I think the first week or so I ate small portions of plain food (rice pudding, roast chicken and veg, cottage pie) and nothing covered in spices or whatever.

I hope your surgery goes well and you're free of gallbladder related pains soon.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I had surgery for mine ten years ago or so. That first fart after the surgery? Magnificent. The air they pump inside you and the sensation of it moving around your abdominal cavity…not so good.

Like you I was relatively healthy when mine was diagnosed. The only trigger I found was alcohol. I had mine out laparoscopically and certainly needed at least a week to recover – it took me about three days just to stop feeling woozy from the general anaesthetic. I also had a reaction to the dissolvable stiches they used and needed a further mini-surgery under local to deal with that.

Post-removal – I struggled to start with as I found I needed to ensure my stomach was never empty for long, otherwise the bile which now dripped automatically into my stomach made me feel nauseous. That sensation lasted for a few months, and doesn’t seem to be a problem any more, and no foods seem to be off-limits.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Laproscopic? I was back at school in 5 days. I missed no days, as it was Thanksgiving vacation. I went home from the hospital the same day (to be fair, I'm very stubborn after anesthesia and was forcing myself to get up and walk around to the bathroom and the halls within the hour - another day of hospital IV pain meds probably would have been a better choice). Pain was manageable after the first 3-4 days without meds, stomach/abs felt loose/painful when moving for about a week.

Sleeping in a recliner is great if it's available to you. Easy to get up without too much ab work.

I had some bathroom "immediacy" issues for a few years following, but I also have IBS so it's hard to say what was what. Go easy on high-fat foods, or eat them at home, until you see how you react.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed Jan of 2017 I also did the keyhole surgery and was home like 5 hours after arriving at the hospital. I ate alot of toast, jello, & broth those first few days until I became brave enough to eat some real food. I do remember how hard it was to get up from a seat or bed my husband helped me alot for about a week. I had 5 days off including my surgery day but I probably should of taken 1 more day. I don't know if this applies to you about I still suffer from Gerd & IBS so I was hoping the gallbladder removal would help that out but it seems like no luck for me on that. Good Luck!
  • enyagoboom
    Options
    I really, really appreciate everyone sharing their stories and results.
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    Had mine done laparoscopically with no stitches just surgical glue at an outpatient surgical center. Only took four hours from check in at front desk to walking back out the door. Was so easy and felt fine afterwards. Even stopped to buy groceries on the way home.
    Was doing housework including vacuuming the next day. Definitely be cautious lifting heavy stuff though- you’ll feel it! Holding a pillow on my stomach helped when it was sore. Did have trouble getting regular and needed laxatives for a while.
    Just know that once your gallbladder is out you will be constantly secreting small amounts of bile into your system rather than your gall bladder saving it up for big fatty meals.
    For many months I had complete intolerance of fatty foods. Be sure you are slow to reintroduce fat to your diet. Eating small meals or snacks frequently instead of large meals can help too. Drink plenty of water every day to thin the bile and flush it out. It can irritate your intestines.
    Tell your doctor if you’re still having “gallbladder” attacks after the surgery. I had those and it turned out it was pancreatitis. So now have to avoid alcohol and be careful what I eat. Also developed several food allergies due to incomplete digestion of foods, but that is pretty rare. Even with those problems, I’m glad I had it done. I didn’t realize how run down and sick my gallbladder was making me until it was gone!
    Hope your surgery goes well.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I had mine out a few years ago. I was told that I would be out for 2 weeks but I was back at work after 5 days. It really just depends on how quickly you feel better.

In my experience, you'll want bland, easy to digest foods. One of my friends brought me a care package because he had had his gallbladder removed years before. It was popsicles, sherbet, broth, etc. You get the idea. Just make sure you can take it easy for at least 3 days. The less you move initially, the better you'll feel and the fast you'll recover.

The weird thing for me was finding out I had different trigger foods after I had my gallbladder out. Before, it was grease and alcohol. After I had my gallbladder out, it's overly sugary things (think really sweet drinks) and mexican-style spices like jalapenos, chili powder, etc. Don't be freaked out if you suddenly can't enjoy certain foods without a gallbladder attack. Good luck to you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    For me, the laparoscopic surgery itself was a non-event. No pain, no problems.

Doctor told me no workouts but walking for.(IIRC) a month, no lifting more than 5 pounds. I stopped rowing (in the middle of rowing season: Wah!) and started walking around 2 miles twice a day. In the last week or two of restrictions, doc said I could lift 5 pounds repeatedly (I'd been pestering her ;) ), so I started doing 5-lb dumbbell reps to boredom of some exercises that didn't involve substantial abdominal movement.

I was told to stick to a reduced fat diet for a while, then start adding back more fat slowly to see how it went. How I was eating at the time meet their "low fat" definition, so I didn't change anything. In the 2+ years since, I haven't had any digestive problems from the surgery, and I have eaten occasional major fat meals (e.g., big order of beer-battered deep-fried onion rings, 8x10" very cheesy deep dish pizza).

The one thing I wish I'd done differently: I should've gone to maintenance calorie level, or at least close, for a few weeks. I was still losing a pound a week or more at that point, and kept doing it. I don't think my healing was compromised, because my body did a good job prioritizing it, but I did eventually experience some avoidable fatigue and weakness that too a few weeks to fully recover from.

So, I'd suggest eating at/near maintenance for 3-4 weeks. It's worth it.

Best wishes for smooth and easy surgery and aftermath!
  • enyagoboom
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The one thing I wish I'd done differently: I should've gone to maintenance calorie level, or at least close, for a few weeks. I was still losing a pound a week or more at that point, and kept doing it. I don't think my healing was compromised, because my body did a good job prioritizing it, but I did eventually experience some avoidable fatigue and weakness that too a few weeks to fully recover from.

So, I'd suggest eating at/near maintenance for 3-4 weeks. It's worth it.

This jives with what I was thinking - I spent most of December and a couple weeks in January at maintenance levels and I'm not overly fussed about when I get to the goal weight (I mean, I want to get there sooner rather than later but I'm going pretty slow). I'm particular about prioritizing things in my life and for the time around the surgery, healthy, complete healing is the priority which means weight loss will move down the list.

If anything, I'm more bummed that it will be at least two weeks before I'm back in the water, and probably closer to 4. It is what it is though.
    Khovde07 wrote: »

The weird thing for me was finding out I had different trigger foods after I had my gallbladder out. Before, it was grease and alcohol. After I had my gallbladder out, it's overly sugary things (think really sweet drinks) and mexican-style spices like jalapenos, chili powder, etc. Don't be freaked out if you suddenly can't enjoy certain foods without a gallbladder attack. Good luck to you!

HAHA THIS terrifies me! I LOVE spicy food! Since I started losing weight actually I want it spicier! Ah well. I'll take it slow and see how it goes.

Thanks for the good wishes, all!
  • ruhids
    ruhids Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi do you put on weight after gall bladder surgery?
  • enyagoboom
    Options
    ruhids wrote: »

Hi @ruhids, I haven't gone through the surgery yet but the same principle that applies pre-surgery applies post: calories in, calories out. I assume I will be sedentary following surgery for at least a week, so I will eat at maintenance levels which for me is between 1600-1800 calories per day. The trick is going to be finding food, like protein dense foods, that don't aggravate the bile production and cause the listed discomforts associated with not having a gallbladder, i.e. diarrhea, IBS, etc.

if you're going to be having gallbladder surgery, good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    ruhids wrote: »

I did not. I had mine out mid weight loss (though unlike some people's, the need for my surgery was not caused by weight loss).

I saw no difference in weight loss rate before surgery vs. after (and I'm a data geek, so my CICO & scale weight tracking was quite meticulous).

I'm not medically educated, so take this in that light: It seems like a reduced ability to digest fat would help weight loss by reducing ability to absorb the fat calories, not make one gain weight. In my understanding, the reason some people get diarrhea post-surgery after high-fat meals is that the fat isn't properly digested.
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    I lost about 20 pounds afterwards because of diet changes
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I lost a 40 pounds in 2012/2013, then my gallbladded faliled. I put off the surgery for almost a year and gained back all my weight.
    I finally had it removed in 2014. The surgery went well and so did the recovery. I look maybe two of the pain pills they sent me home with. The most painful part was the gas pains that you feel in your chest and back. I was very bruised up after.

I struggled with high fat food after for a long time and with losing weight. Honestly switching to a high fat diet helped me in both those areas.

I did learn that you can still have gall stone attacks. I had one in early 2017. I guess if your body makes stones they can get stuck in the bile duct itself and have all the same symptoms and pain. Luckily it was a 1 night thing and not ongoing like it was before the surgery.
  • enyagoboom
    Options
    CryingBlue wrote: »
    I did learn that you can still have gall stone attacks. I had one in early 2017. I guess if your body makes stones they can get stuck in the bile duct itself and have all the same symptoms and pain. Luckily it was a 1 night thing and not ongoing like it was before the surgery.

Well that's obnoxious!
  • thegeans
    thegeans Posts: 42 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The worst part about my surgery was a sore throat from the breathing tube! Everything else was super easy; life post-gallbladder worries is the best. Everyone is different but I didn't have any food-related problems after (and I put hot sauce on everything).