Anybody have Gastric Sleeve done?

Options
stephwht
stephwht Posts: 17 Member
Hello! I’m really considering going through the process of getting the surgery and wanted to begin making some friends that are about to go through the surgery and have already gone through it!

I was just wondering if anyone would want to tell me what the whole thing was like for you leading up to the surgery and also post surgery! You can add me and message me if you’d like!

Like what you had to do before you were allowed the surgery and what it’s all like post op! I can read as much information on it on the internet but in the end I’d like to hear personally from other people that have gone through it to get a better understanding.

Thanks!

Replies

• franklin5280
    franklin5280 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know all about the Bariatrics process. I did Lap Band in late 2007. Be glad to share wisdom.
  • shall127
    shall127 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It truly is mental more than anything. While you cannot eat much in 1 sitting, it digests fast and you can eat again in about an hour or so. So you can very well gain it back by eating small meals throughout the day. It's a tool that can help you, it wont change your life unless you change your eating. That being said, I do not regret it. I am only 5 months out, but I am thankful for it.
  • stephwht
    Options
    I definitely wouldn’t be considering it if I didn’t think I could handle it mentally. I’ve been overweight my whole life. Always dieting. And no matter how much I work out and eat very healthy I lose 20lbs and then plateau. And even if I switch up workouts and stick with being healthy I cannot get over the plateau. So I fell like gastric sleeve would be a good option for me. I have a daughter and want more than anything to be able to chase after her and be so much more active the older she gets. Not to mention being overall healthier if I do succeed and more weight loss and become so much healthier and potentially preventing health related problems so I can stay in her life as long as possible!
  • aik633
    aik633 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dear friends that have had this procedure done. The first had a sleeve first which worked for about a 50lb loss but she gained it all back and she ended doing a second surgery, gastric bypass. She again lost some weight but has gained it all plus more.

My second friend went straight to the gastric bypass... she was doing well but gained it all back.

You see, if you can’t conquer the mental aspect of controlling what you eat and how much.... no amount of surgery will help you.

I have another friend thinking of it, went to all the meetings.. got her papers signed off and she was told she had to lose 10% of her weight before they would book surgery. That was approx 30-35lbs. She hired a trainer, followed a strict diet and has surpassed her goal. She’s decided to cancel surgery entirely and has lost over 75lbs :)

See? You need will power to make it work.
  • stephwht
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I never said there was no will power to gastric sleeve or to no gastric sleeve. You are the one who said to reconsider having sleeve surgery by having will power instead. Implying having gastric sleeve surgery meant you have no will power.

“Google gastric sleeve complications. Ask if it's worth the risk. Decide whether you want to have major abdominal surgery or some will power.”
  • aik633
    Options
    Did you research the complications? It's not a sure thing that you will lose weight. If you can't do what it takes to lose, the sleeve won't change that.
  • stephwht
    Options
    I have been dieting for months already now. Low carb diet. I work out at least 3 times a week usually more alternating what I do. I have definitely changed my life style.
  • stephwht
    Options
    And yes I know all about the potential complications. Any procedure comes with potential complications. And I know I don’t get to just have the surgery and sit on my *kitten* and expect results. I know it takes just as much as regular dieting and working out to see results. Which is why I said it takes will power whether you have gastric sleeve or not.
  • aik633
    Options
    I'm sitting here next to my mother in law. She had a stomach sleeve last year and looking fatter than ever and swears she's eating good. Today is her cheat day, btw. She had 3 pieces of deep dish pizza.
  • aik633
    Options
    I don't want to keep picking on you, so I'll stop. Good luck in your journey.
  • LoliRei
    LoliRei Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is what I have been through so far.
    My first inquiry about the survey was on November 24th.
    My doctor told me I had to quit smoking for 3 months. Also to loose 10 percent. Or they would not take me.
    I have been a smoker for 15 years and I wanted this surgery so bad I quit that exact same day. Cold turkey. My 3 months will be up on February 24th. (This is an accomplishment on its own and the motivation I get off this alone is beyond crazy, it feels sooo good to breathe)
    But even though I quit I was still eating like mad because I was doing it out of boredom due to not having a smoke.

So, I went to see the doctor again in January, complaining about stomach aches due to metformin. ( am prescribed for PCOS) and I brought up the surgery again.
    (I had to make a really really hard desicion right then, as I am/was trying to conceive and they had just got what ever was causing my infertility fixed and I was just beginning to try, all I ever wanted was a family, and I know this sounds rediculous, but even tho I’m only 30, it felt like the end of the world, I am getting to old, which I know it’s not true, it’s just something I had a little panic attack about but my doctor helped me through,and I ultimately decided to go with the surgery in the end)
    After that, she told me I had to loose 10 percent of my weight before they will concider it because they are cracking down on who would be a good candidate that will follow through with the lifestyle changes. Or so my doctor says.
    It also could be different for me because I am in Canada and the surgery is free. So their weeding out who deserves it or not? Not sure. I honestly never asked why.
    Maybe she’s using it as a “past records of weight loss attempts “ (which you also need to have )
    Moving on.
    She also told me I had to be over a bmi of 140 in order to qualify, and there had to be at least one weight related health problems.
    She said I would have no problem in that department seeing how I had pcos.

So that brings us to today. I have lost 10 lbs.
    which i need another 13 to loose for it to be 10% of my weight.
    My next appointment is on the 28th where she will weigh me and send me off to the next step (if I’m down my 13lbs by then)

If you want, I can fill you in with what needs to be done and the steps taken as I myself go through it.

And in my opinion, I know the risks, my doctor had went over them with me, but I trust the doctors, I trust my self. If you really want it, I say get it. I would rather take on all the risks in the world then stay how I am for the rest of my life. Barley even living
  • fionawilliamson
    fionawilliamson Posts: 110 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    LoliRei wrote: »
    My doctor told me I had to quit smoking for 3 months. Also to loose 10 percent. Or they would not take me.
    I have been a smoker for 15 years and I wanted this surgery so bad I quit that exact same day. Cold turkey. My 3 months will be up on February 24th. (This is an accomplishment on its own and the motivation I get off this alone is beyond crazy, it feels sooo good to breathe)
    But even though I quit I was still eating like mad because I was doing it out of boredom due to not having a smoke.

So, I went to see the doctor again in January, complaining about stomach aches due to metformin. ( am prescribed for PCOS) and I brought up the surgery again.
    (I had to make a really really hard desicion right then, as I am/was trying to conceive and they had just got what ever was causing my infertility fixed and I was just beginning to try, all I ever wanted was a family, and I know this sounds rediculous, but even tho I’m only 30, it felt like the end of the world, I am getting to old, which I know it’s not true, it’s just something I had a little panic attack about but my doctor helped me through,and I ultimately decided to go with the surgery in the end)
    After that, she told me I had to loose 10 percent of my weight before they will concider it because they are cracking down on who would be a good candidate that will follow through with the lifestyle changes. Or so my doctor says.
    It also could be different for me because I am in Canada and the surgery is free. So their weeding out who deserves it or not? Not sure. I honestly never asked why.
    Maybe she’s using it as a “past records of weight loss attempts “ (which you also need to have )
    Moving on.
    She also told me I had to be over a bmi of 140 in order to qualify, and there had to be at least one weight related health problems.

My next appointment is on the 28th where she will weigh me and send me off to the next step (if I’m down my 13lbs by then)

If you want, I can fill you in with what needs to be done and the steps taken as I myself go through it.

And in my opinion, I know the risks, my doctor had went over them with me, but I trust the doctors, I trust my self. If you really want it, I say get it. I would rather take on all the risks in the world then stay how I am for the rest of my life. Barley even living

So you need to lose 10% of your weight which is a total of 23 pounds. Am I reading this right, you weigh 230 pounds - well 207 pounds after the 23 pounds and they are considering you for a bypass??? I believe you I am just surprised, then again I know nothing about the criteria for getting this surgery.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    LoliRei wrote: »

Moving on.

So you need to lose 10% of your weight which is a total of 23 pounds. Am I reading this right, you weigh 230 pounds - well 207 pounds after the 23 pounds and they are considering you for a bypass??? I believe you I am just surprised, then again I know nothing about the criteria for getting this surgery.

I think that you have to be at least 50 lbs overweight.
  • yoliyoda
    yoliyoda Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It has to deal with BMI and additional health problems (heart disease, diabetes, kidney issues, etc.) Although people think of it as weight loss surgery it's really to keep those other problems from progressing, and possibly reverse them.
  • shall127
    shall127 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    aik633 wrote: »
    I'm sitting here next to my mother in law. She had a stomach sleeve last year and looking fatter than ever and swears she's eating good. Today is her cheat day, btw. She had 3 pieces of deep dish pizza.

Maybe shes an emotional eater and it does help that you can say to strangers that shes looking fatter than ever. That's horrible. Maybe she needs better support around her... Can't imagine how you are in real life.... smh
  • mjohemme
    mjohemme Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have my first appointment tomorrow morning. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to have the surgery, or even whether it will be the sleeve or bypass, if I do. I'm about 90% sure and will see if the process of preparing for the surgery changes my mindset or not. I, too, am doing a lot of research and joining support groups on FB and here to see how those who have had it feel about their decision. (Yes, I know that those who regretted it probably are no longer in those groups.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!