Plateau already?

Options
I've lost 25 lbs and I've been stuck for almost 2 weeks. My calorie deficit is set to lose 2 lbs a week I weigh everything i eat. I just didn't think I would plateau this fast already I'm sitting at 230 lbs so I've still got lots to lose I've consistently lost every week until now.

Replies

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    25lbs .. good going ! ... are you still eating the same amount of calories that you were 25lbs ago ?

As you get smaller your body requires less calories to maintain .. so its possible you are nearing the weight that your calorie intake allows for ... you might need to re-input your details and reset your goals for a new calorie goal.

All that said, 2 weeks isnt long enough to declare a proper plateau .. you might just be at the stage now where weightloss isnt linear
  • Kayla647
    Kayla647 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I adjust my intake every week, increase my workouts consistently. I've thought it might be sodium some days I go over and some days I am barely under. But I do drink lots of water
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Another vote for high sodium hiding results. Unless you're diabetic, change your default diary to track sodium instead of sugar. Most people eat 2-3x as much as recommended in a day and don't even realize it. Adjust your calories every few weeks (about every 5-10lbs lost) by re-calculating based on your current weight as if you were starting over. I never trusted MFP to do that for me. It helped to keep my weight loss consistent. Your calories will go down, and if you've been eating the same calories the entire time you lost that 25 lbs you may very well no longer be in a 2lb/week deficit. Otherwise my vote is water retention hiding your losses.
  • chunkygirl79
    chunkygirl79 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2016 and I've been stuck at 225 for the last months eating only 800 calories a day. Sometimes it just happens. The scale is starting to move a little now since I've been sick so hopefully that damn stomach bug will have been worth it....lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau...theres any number of reasons for a stall on the scales. I'm sure someone will post the helpful flow chart that applies.
    Weight loss doesn't always happen week on week, sometimes we can go for several weeks and then get a 'whoosh' when several pounds basically seem to disappear over night.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    thvd1tkei04k.jpg

2 weeks isn't a plateau. Could very well be that time of the month or too much sodium intake a couple of days ago.
    Keep chugging along!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    thanks @aeloine thats the flow chart I was referring to :smile:
  • aeloine
    Options
    thanks @aeloine thats the flow chart I was referring to :smile:

@LivingtheLeanDream great mind think alike! :wink:
  • Kayla647
    Kayla647 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to watch my sodium it's set at 2300mg and I usually end up eating 2500 by the end of the day!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isn't a plateau...
  • aeloine
    Options
    Kayla647 wrote: »
    I'm going to try to watch my sodium it's set at 2300mg and I usually end up eating 2500 by the end of the day!

2500 isn't the worst, by far. Pay attention to your monthly cycle. Now that you're weighing yourself on the reg, you might start to notice patterns.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Kayla647 wrote: »

If your sodium is roughly consistent day to day it's not going to matter much. When you spike it for a day, you'll retain water for awhile - then it will go away. It's really not something to focus much on other than to be aware of it - or if you have a specific medical issue related to it.
  • TriPaulCantRun
    TriPaulCantRun Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work, a 2 week stall isn't anything to worry about, it will soon start to drop off again.
    shark week
    :D Is that really a thing???

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Keep up the good work, a 2 week stall isn't anything to worry about, it will soon start to drop off again.
    shark week
    :D Is that really a thing???

Assuming you are familiar with the euphemism @shadow2soul is using, then yes, it's really a thing. If you are thinking about the television programming, then no.