Half marathon with no training plan

Options
2»

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Even Hal's plans on the website (free) would give you a guideline. It's not too many miles during the week on individual runs, but there's running at least a little most days.

Thinking you're gonna show up at a HM with nominal training and expecting a certain time is rather flippant.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think it's a big ask to blithely assume you can run a half in under two hours when you haven't even got a ten mile run under your belt yet.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I've never used a training plan for any of my races (hm pb 1:33 full 3:33). But I would recommend trying to get your long run a but longer. I know it can be hard to fit in (I have two young kids, and am currently training for my first ultra), but it could really make the difference between a miserable just-finished experience and a really fun run (I love half marathons, I find them a really nice distance and have enjoyed every single one I've done).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've never used a training plan for any of my races (hm pb 1:33 full 3:33). But I would recommend trying to get your long run a but longer. I know it can be hard to fit in (I have two young kids, and am currently training for my first ultra), but it could really make the difference between a miserable just-finished experience and a really fun run (I love half marathons, I find them a really nice distance and have enjoyed every single one I've done).

kook.

j/k.
    nice work... impressive times.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I trained for my first half using a training schedule and had a great race. Six months later I ran a half after working in a few long runs in addition to my usual running. I'd run the distance before so I could do it again, right? Wrong! I hit a wall at about mile 10 and barely made it to the finish line walking most of the way. I learned that lesson the hard way and would hate for you to experience the same. A half marathon is not a one-day event, the weeks of training leading up to the race are as much a part of the race as the actual event.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My first (and only so far) half was done with my longest run being maybe 9 miles before that, and I did 2 shorter runs during the week.

I had my mom with me - she helped a lot with pacing myself - and I felt great at the end.

So....yes, you can probably do it, but be prepared to go slower. Check out Hal's website and look at the Novice 1 training plan so you have an idea of where you're at.

~Lyssa
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    LOL based on your 10K time it's guessing your half time?

that's ADORABLE.

Re: the race predictor, Garmin assigns a VO2 Max level based on your training data and then uses correlation tables for VO2Max and race times. The predictor is known to be somewhat inaccurate as Garmins tend to overestimate VO2Max but you can get an idea of a ballpark time by triangulating the predictor's estimates for known race results. For example, based on my 5K and 10K times, I know that the race predictor tends to be overly optimistic for me by about 15%.

Also, the race predictor times assume that you have the legs to go the distance and perfect conditions.

It's definitely not perfect but it can serve to get you into the general ballpark of an expected finish time.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    like I said.... adorable.
  • DX2JX2
    edited February 2018
    Options
    OK - so looking at the HH free novice training plans, it seems that I'm already running at or above the volume/distances recommended through week 8/9 of the program. This means that theoretically, I can keep doing what I'm doing until the back end of March and then just add a 9 miler to my schedule two weeks ahead of the race and a 10 miler one week before.

That might be doable as I'm hoping that we'd be adjusted to life with the baby by then and my work schedule will be tapering down a bit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    OK - so looking at the HH free novice training plans, it seems that I'm already running at or above the volume/distances recommended through week 8/9 of the program. This means that theoretically, I can keep doing what I'm doing until the back end of March and then just add a 9 miler to my schedule two weeks ahead of the race and a 10 miler one week before.

That might be doable as I'm hoping that we'd be adjusted to life with the baby by then and my work schedule will be tapering down a bit.

I wouldn't do the 10 miles a week before the half...
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I look forward to reading your race report.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options

You don't want to peak so close to race day. You should be tapering for the last couple of weeks to give your legs a chance to rest so you're fresh for the race. Doing your longest run 1 week out will do nothing but tire you out for the race - everything in the last 2-3 weeks is about maintaining cardio fitness on as little running as possible, the leg training is over. I do my longest run 3 weeks out and then gradually reduce.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have done 2 HMs and am training for my first full, and I agree that you should try to get in at least 1 10 mile run 3 - 4 weeks before. You can feel fine at mile 8 and hit a huge wall at mile 9, so better to get to know your limits.
    Have fun!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Since you still have two months, I would do what I could to increase your long run mileage. Maybe get a babysitter on one weekend day so you can go out for a couple of hours. It would also help to increase your daily runs a bit as well. Overall mileage will help your endurance. You might also try including some faster race pace miles in your shorter runs.

Regardless, you will be able to finish the race, but you may have to walk some of it. That's not a big deal, but it may not be the way you want to finish. Just be sure to start out at a slow and easy pace. If you go at your 10k pace, you'll burn out quickly.
  • workmani
    workmani Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to finish without walking... maybe. It depends on the terrain you are training on and the terrain on which the race is being held. Plus your general fitness, determination and ability to resist getting pulled into other people’s pacing. The only thing I would caution is don’t get so caught up in your goals that you injure yourself. Walk if you need to walk and do better next time.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

You don't want to peak so close to race day. You should be tapering for the last couple of weeks to give your legs a chance to rest so you're fresh for the race. Doing your longest run 1 week out will do nothing but tire you out for the race - everything in the last 2-3 weeks is about maintaining cardio fitness on as little running as possible, the leg training is over. I do my longest run 3 weeks out and then gradually reduce.

It's only a half, an his mileage isn't that high of a volume to need extra recovery, a week taper should be fine. Especially if that last long run is kept real nice and easy.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

It's only a half, an his mileage isn't that high of a volume to need extra recovery, a week taper should be fine. Especially if that last long run is kept real nice and easy.

Look, I wouldn't bother tapering for a half myself but for someone's first I wouldn't recommend the longest run they've ever done one week before.
    I'd say two weeks would be fine, with a middling-sized long run the following week.
  • kathedbr
    kathedbr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the conversion, but I only did 13km leading up to my half marathon (once!) and I managed to run the whole distance without any major problems...
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Look, I wouldn't bother tapering for a half myself but for someone's first I wouldn't recommend the longest run they've ever done one week before.
    I'd say two weeks would be fine, with a middling-sized long run the following week.

The Higdon Novice 1 free plan has a 10 miler one week prior to the half. I have a feeling that it's possible because the weekly volume in general is pretty low for the entire duration of the plan (only about 20 mpw at it's max). It also has you build to the 10 miler with an 8 miler three weeks out, a 9 miler two weeks out, and a 10 miler one week out.

I'm not too concerned about the 10 miler beating me up too much since I'll do it at a really easy pace and I've run close to that before without any soreness afterwards. I'm more interested in it as a way to test my limit for the actual race. If I feel tired towards the end of an easy 10 miler and/or super fatigued in the days following, then I know that I have to take it really easy for the entire distance during the half. If I feel decent at the end of the 10 miler and in the days following, then I'll know that I might be able to push my pace a little above easy for the HM.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you feel about food/drink/fuel during a run... the longer runs are a good chance to test out some different options - both what you like/don't like and when you need something.

FWIW.