Can I skip cardio and just strength train?

Options
I am looking to loose weight but want to have a lean tone body when I finally take off the weight. I am tracking my food and eating at a deficit. I know that alone will help me loose do I need to do cardio and strength? What are the benefits/disadvantaged of doing both or wither or

Replies

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    ^Pretty much answers it. Deficit for losing weight. Cardio is better for just heart health and feeling fitter. If you just want to focus on toning up your body, you can choose to just strength train.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for health, fitness and helping add to your calorie deficit. But no, it is not necessary to maintain muscle/tone up. Follow a progressive lifting program, get adequate protein and don't go too steep in deficit for best chance at muscle retention.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Another thing is don't try to have the deficit too severe. Set MFP to maybe lose .5-1lbs a week. More than that it might affect your lifts faster than it needs to and you might lose more muscle mass than if you take it a bit slower.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks I was really hoping that was the answer.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    That's what I did/do.

The only time I was I did cardio is when I start getting into bikini mode and the weight loss is like the speed of death. Still, I don't do it because I loathe it.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    if you do some cardio with it you could have some extra calories to enjoy but it won't be necessary!
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    While I am not crazy about cardio, I do it as it tends to give me more energy. You can certainly forgo it and just strength train. I did one or the other, but now I do both..albeit the cardio is minimal (20 mins 3-4 times a week vs lifting 6 days a week for 1.5 hours).
  • bbell1985
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I don't understand such an anti-cardio bias on a "fitness" message board.

Ok. Would you like to ask a question? I think it is okay for people to dislike cardio.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I personally find cardio to be incredibly boring in the summer I don’t mind going for a jog or bike ride but stationary equipment makes me want to die. Most of the time I am in some way uncomfortable no matter what type of machine I use something starts to hurt or go numb. I do my strength workout with short rests in between and do work up a sweat. Lifting will give me long term results where as cardio gives me extra calories to eat for a moment I’d rather put the work in someplace else if I don’t need it to reach my goal
  • bbell1985
    edited February 2018
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »

Primarily, it’s boring, and for most people, it doesn’t give the result people want. Lifting gives the results.

There are an infinite different ways to get in "cardio", it doesn't need to be mind numbing torture on a machine and its a HUGE component of overall fitness. I'll agree that many people misguidedly turn to cardio and expect results that only strength training can give, but to completely discount doing any cardio and being boastful about it as many people are, seems very short sighted.

Meh. I'm not being boastful. I spend time doing things I love and less or no time doing things I hate. And I think I'm pretty healthy and for as much of a hard time I give myself, think I look pretty decent without cardio. And I know there are forms of cardio I like...but I don't have time to join a *kitten* tennis club or volleyball team.
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Primarily, it’s boring, and for most people, it doesn’t give the result people want. Lifting gives the results.

There are an infinite different ways to get in "cardio", it doesn't need to be mind numbing torture on a machine and its a HUGE component of overall fitness. I'll agree that many people misguidedly turn to cardio and expect results that only strength training can give, but to completely discount doing any cardio and being boastful about it as many people are, seems very short sighted.

I can only speak for myself but I don't think I was "anti" cardio. It's got great health benefits especially for cardiovascular health. But for the purpose of the question, "Do I need to do cardio and strength when one is looking to lose weight and is already tracking their food intake and eating a deficit?" I'd say cardio's not necessary. I gave a quick caveat that it's good for heart health but there's myriads of other benefits that can be had from cardio, I just didn't get into it as the question wasn't "What are the benefits of cardio and why should I do it?".
  • sardelsa
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

I completely agree. Try running up a steep hill and see how much help those deadlifts and squats will be. They'll help with leg strength, but they won't give you much cardiovascular endurance -- and in the real world, there will most likely be times when you'll need it.

I walk up stairs multiple times a day as part of my life so I'd be fine. I don't know if being generally active counts as cardio, but it's what I do. And a few months ago I ran home for fun (I am not a runner at all) and I couldn't believe how easy it was with more lower body muscle.. my legs had so much power and speed..it was like riding on top of a horse.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I completely agree. Try running up a steep hill and see how much help those deadlifts and squats will be. They'll help with leg strength, but they won't give you much cardiovascular endurance -- and in the real world, there will most likely be times when you'll need it.

I walk up stairs multiple times a day as part of my life so I'd be fine. I don't know if being generally active counts as cardio, but it's what I do. And a few months ago I ran home for fun (I am not a runner at all) and I couldn't believe how easy it was with more lower body muscle.. my legs had so much power and speed..it was like riding on top of a horse.

lol riding on top of a horse. I have an awesome image of you right now. It's very magical.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

lol riding on top of a horse. I have an awesome image of you right now. It's very magical.

:D ... It really was magical.. I was my own unicorn :p