HCG Diet - Asking for Information - Not for Me!

Options
Hi all, I've been around here a few times before, lost a good 20 lbs the first time around, then gained about 10-15 lbs (depending on the day) back and I'm here again. Eating my calories and about 50% of my exercise calories, because that's what works for me. I'm not currently looking for advice for myself.

My Mother-in-law has recently decided to do this HCG diet. She's eating ~500 calories/day, getting some weird injections, and is being monitored by a doctor, who is apparently doing blood work monthly.

This all sounds like some woo to me, but I was hoping to gather some more information and see what people know about this "diet". Obviously she is losing weight, considering she's only eating ~500 calories, but I just want to arm myself with knowledge and understanding. Everything I could find online, myself, seemed to tell me it was either "woo" or just generally a terrible experience.

Replies

• SmilingNerfherder
    Options
    But wouldn't doctors get in trouble for condoning and overseeing a non FDA-approved "DIET" like this? I guess the thing that is keeping me from speaking up is that she is being seen by a doctor...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    But wouldn't doctors get in trouble for condoning and overseeing a non FDA-approved "DIET" like this? I guess the thing that is keeping me from speaking up is that she is being seen by a doctor...
    I'm sure you have checked licenses, credentials, and ongoing complaints, and law suits?

In any case. The FDA statements are pretty unambiguous

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=HCG+FDA+Warning+or+illegal
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The calorie restriction in that diet alone will eventually cause malnutrition which has a lot of nasty side effects.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The doctor is a scam artist. Using HCG for weight is illegal, so he's either using the stuff illegally or using fake stuff (also illegal). She could suffer through a 500 cal diet for free on her own, and there would be consequences, but why do that...

Edit: The fda info only seems to apply to otc marketing. I guess a doc could prescribe it for "off-label use," but it's already been studied and shown to be useless, so no way in hell would I trust that doctor.
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's both woo and a terrible experience. And that's why MFP won't condone it.

This, expect this thread to be closed down soon.
  • SmilingNerfherder
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I'm sure you have checked licenses, credentials, and ongoing complaints, and law suits?

I unfortunately have not checked the credentials and licenses or complaints against whichever doctor she is using because I don't want to upset her. It's not a good excuse, really, but there has been previous bad-blood in the family and I am a non-confrontational non-potstirrer. I'm trying to gather more knowledge so that I can figure out how to explain to her in the easiest to digest manner that this is unsafe, as that is the obvious conclusion of any basic search.

I would also like to note that she is getting these HCG products through a doctor, and while it appears they are not FDA approved for weight loss, there are HCG products approved by the FDA for fertility treatments (at least as far as my basic lookie-loo has revealed). I don't have enough information and understanding to know if that means the doctors prescribing it to a woman with no intention of using it for its FDA approved means is illegal.

It's obviously a terrible and unsafe diet, but I just feel like I am at a loss. I honestly wonder if she will listen to my worries and information at all....
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I unfortunately have not checked the credentials and licenses or complaints against whichever doctor she is using because I don't want to upset her. It's not a good excuse, really, but there has been previous bad-blood in the family and I am a non-confrontational non-potstirrer. I'm trying to gather more knowledge so that I can figure out how to explain to her in the easiest to digest manner that this is unsafe, as that is the obvious conclusion of any basic search.

I would also like to note that she is getting these HCG products through a doctor, and while it appears they are not FDA approved for weight loss, there are HCG products approved by the FDA for fertility treatments (at least as far as my basic lookie-loo has revealed). I don't have enough information and understanding to know if that means the doctors prescribing it to a woman with no intention of using it for its FDA approved means is illegal.

It's obviously a terrible and unsafe diet, but I just feel like I am at a loss. I honestly wonder if she will listen to my worries and information at all....

She may, but odds are good that she won't. Many times people don't want to admit they're being duped or that something they believe so strongly in is actually not true, or think that because the person administering the treatment calls themselves a doctor (or heavens forbid is one, looking at you Oz and Brogan) that it's safe. So just be prepared even with the best of intentions it may fall on deaf ears.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you need to approach hrr about it, really push the I'm worried about you, side, rather than than the I know it's a scam side
  • SmilingNerfherder
    SmilingNerfherder Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My mother in law is a good woman. She's also desperate, and desperate people may not act in the best of manners. I want to help her and your lack of empathy (or really anything helpful or useful in this comment) is not helpful.

The more I look into this the more concerned and worried I get. I am attempting to get her doctor's information.

I honestly think that if my husband and I come to her with information, our concerns and any research we can gather, she may listen to us. I would rather try my best and fail then not try at all. This is obviously unhealthy, and laughing at someone for making a bad choice is just... rude and unhelpful.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Isn't it now illegal in a bunch of states/countries?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Isn't it now illegal in a bunch of states/countries?

Over- the- counter is Illegal in the US. However, it is approved by the FDA for fertility treatments with a prescription. I'm not sure if it is still legal, but doctors used to get away with prescribing the injections as "off-label" for weight loss (even though it's been proven to do nothing for weight loss).
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that if my husband and I come to her with information, our concerns and any research we can gather, she may listen to us. I would rather try my best and fail then not try at all.

If her "diet" doc is not her routine medical provider, you might bring up the idea of her getting a "second opinion" from her primary medical provider.

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,799 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

I'm writing to let you know that our Community Guidelines (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines) prohibit the creation of any forum posts, groups, or posts in groups that encourage the use of Very Low Calorie diets (including, but not limited to, VLCDs that use the HCG protocol).

MyFitnessPal has always promoted a healthy, sustainable, and gradual path to weight loss. But HCG products are typically promoted in connection with a very low calorie diet, usually one that limits calories to 500 per day. Research has demonstrated that calorie intake at these levels can lead to increased risk of gallstones, hair loss, constipation, an irregular heartbeat, and many other dangerous side-effects.

Moreover, numerous medical studies have shown that the results of HCG-use in combination with a very low calorie diet are indistinguishable from the results of the low calorie diet alone. In light of this research, the FDA has required the labeling and advertising of HCG products to state:

“HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or “normal” distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”

Our guidelines prohibit any use of Groups or the Public Forums to support the use of HCG. Although the OP is not promoting HCG, that may not be clear to readers that skim the forums looking for quick fixes.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Sugar
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.