Upper body strength exercises? Any tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    Lots of suggestions above, but if you're not opposed to finding a gym, most (including ones like Planet Fitness) have some kind of circuit training routine. The advantages of a machine are that you can target specific muscle groups, and poor form is more difficult. There are some disadvantages when it comes to more advanced lifting, but for where you are at, that may be a great way to get started and hit the major muscle groups.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Lots of suggestions above, but if you're not opposed to finding a gym, most (including ones like Planet Fitness) have some kind of circuit training routine. The advantages of a machine are that you can target specific muscle groups, and poor form is more difficult. There are some disadvantages when it comes to more advanced lifting, but for where you are at, that may be a great way to get started and hit the major muscle groups.

Disagree. If you are going to spend the money for a gym just start barbell training. A good barbell novice program is the most efficient way to gain strength. If a woman in her 80's can deadlift with an artificial knee, two artificial hips, fused vertebrae, a damaged Achilles tendon anyone can.

https://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/61588-sibyl-deadlifts-115x5-80th-birthday-53-ron-polio-deadlifts-185-a.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejJaj52jT4

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lariel16 wrote: »
    I have no equipment. I could get weights and stuff but no gym equipment; I don't think my floor will hold heavy stuff like that.

tbh it doesn't sound to me like your muscles are ready to hold heavy stuff like that either. not yet.

you could start with activation work, and then move to bodyweight stuff. that's just my opinion, but the risk factor with shoulders and arms is you can have relatively tiny muscles trying to manage relatively huge leverages, with some movements.

i'm hyper-conscious about shoulder safety lately because my sister was a phenomenally strong athlete in her youth, but that was back in the day when they didn't do a lot of prehab or preventative care with athletes, and now her tendons are pretty much trashed. strength is great but it's so worth it to take the time first to make sure you're treating your shoulders right.

eric cressey is my personal go-to person online for ideas about shoulder health. there may be others by now, but i'll leave his name here.
  • lariel16
    lariel16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    tinuz wrote: »
    whats wrong with deadlifting dogs??

Absolutely nothing! I loved that job--my knees? Not so much. Lol. Maybe I can convince my boyfriend that we need a dog...you know, for deadlifting... ;)