Skinny fat!?!? O___O

Options
So I have I have recently lost about 5lbs, from 120-115, which is more or less my "goal weight". I still don't have the "look" I want though. I know I'm going to need to incorporate exercise to tone up and build muscle, but I'm scared. I have a very physically exerting job with long hours, my longest days are two 12 hr day. I'm scared that with the muscle fatigue from exercise that I might injure myself at work & I cannot afford time off. Any advice on how to start small, but still effectively build muscle? I don't want to be skinny fat! Hahaha. Attached is a pic of my results from calorie cutting alone.

Replies

• ctownson
    ctownson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try using your own body during circuit training or strength training. You are you're own resistance. No weights needed. This way your body will recognize the movements and work those muscles without straining over the extra weight. Maybe after about a week or so add in 3lb weights, then 5lb weights, then 8 and then 10lbs, and so on if you choose.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    As well as bodyweight/pilates/yoga which would be less intense you could consider having a couple of sessions with a Personal Trainer to go through correct form and some exercises that you could then continue on your own.

There is some useful info in the Recomp thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

• Shugahhfatt
    Shugahhfatt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    weights... barbells and dumbells... as we lose weight we need to retain and hopefully gain muscle...that is the key
    you will lose fat muscle and water etc when the scale drops but if you are lifting the body composition will make you smile!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just start off slowly, I've tried to do too much too soon and have been sore for days. Start off with light weights and gradually increase every week.
  • Maryanne_V
    Maryanne_V Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have bodyboss, a HIIT program, that I can make available to you. If you are interested PM me.
  • gypsygrl78
    gypsygrl78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How do you like bodyboss?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My son in law had a physically demanding job and the employer as a perk offered gym memberships. Strengthening your muscles for some tasks, stretches and warm ups can reduce your potential for injury.

If you feel a little peckish, eat a little more. Your body will thank you.