Gaining weight eating high carbs???

Options
I’m wondering if there are any experts on here that can tell me why I gain so much weight by eating carbs??

I’ve been doing low carb diet and lost 5lb last week. I know this is water weight but still a good loss for me. Kept to it all last week until yesterday, I had a huge carb craving which then made me eat 1 round of white bread, lots of chocolate then had a small portion of lasagne and a small portion of shepherds pie for dinner. Got up this morning for my weigh in and I have gained 2.5lb. I’m back in focus on low carb now but just wondering if anyone knows why carbs just DONT agree with me? I have tested previously that eating a bowl of pasta can make me gain up to 5lb after I’ve eaten it? Anyone have any idea why? Thanks

Replies

• sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I had a huge carb craving which then made me eat 1 round of white bread, lots of chocolate then had a small portion of lasagne and a small portion of shepherds pie for dinner.[/b] Got up this morning for my weigh in and I have gained 2.5lb.

Of course you're going to put on weight after eating all that. It had nothing to do with it being carbs, you ate a lot of calories. Did you log all the food you ate that day? How many calories was it?
    I have tested previously that eating a bowl of pasta can make me gain up to 5lb after I’ve eaten it? Anyone have any idea why? Thanks

If you weigh yourself after eating a lot of food it will show on the scales, just like if you weigh yourself undressed then dressed it will be different.

It sounds to me you need to stop weighing yourself after eating and just weigh yourself once a day at the same time everyday to get an idea of how your weight fluctuates. And count calories logging all the food you eat on here (if you don't already) then see if you have gone over in calories when your weight goes up, not the carbs.

That was throughout the day and yes I was still within my calorie allowance......

• sammyj19902015
    Options
    I track my calories everyday and have been well below them until yesterday which I was on my allowance
  • sammyj19902015
    Options
    I weigh once a week so ignoring this one and going back to eating normally, well calorie counting. I just want to lose this baby weight, I’ve lost 1st 5lb so far but hit a plateau hence trying a new diet, been overweight all my life and bullied about it, I’m not bothered if it comes off 1lb a week as long as it comes off but atm it’s not
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - definitely just a normal water-weight fluctuation as a response to your diet change.

Simple calorie counting is the way to go. You don't need to follow a restrictive diet plan to lose the weight.

I'm losing weight consistently while still eating fast food, desserts, ice cream, chocolate... almost every day. It's all about accurately tracking all your intake (food scale for solids, measuring cups/spoons for liquids) and sticking to a reasonable calorie deficit.

No need to overcomplicate. :) Good luck.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I’m wondering if there are any experts on here that can tell me why I gain so much weight by eating carbs??

I’ve been doing low carb diet and lost 5lb last week. I know this is water weight but still a good loss for me. Kept to it all last week until yesterday, I had a huge carb craving which then made me eat 1 round of white bread, lots of chocolate then had a small portion of lasagne and a small portion of shepherds pie for dinner. Got up this morning for my weigh in and I have gained 2.5lb. I’m back in focus on low carb now but just wondering if anyone knows why carbs just DONT agree with me? I have tested previously that eating a bowl of pasta can make me gain up to 5lb after I’ve eaten it? Anyone have any idea why? Thanks

I mean it has nothing to do with carbs, unless their deliciousness is what causes you to overeat, but your question is literally answered in your post.

You know you lost only water weight from going low carb, ate a crap load of craps and added that water back. Just pick a diet and stick with it for more than a week, and drink enough water (or liquid of choice).
  • sammyj19902015
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, as people have said in your other threads - Jumping from one diet to another where you are over-restricting and then stress binging in response will cause your weight to jump all over the place. And going from low carb to moderate carb will cause additional weight fluctuations. You CANNOT judge progress from one day to the next. It happens over weeks and months.

You've gotten a lot of consistent explanation for your weight fluctuations and consistent advice on what you should do. Until you can apply some patience and realistic goals, you are going to continue to be frustrated. Really read all the replies you've gotten from all your threads, especially the veterans with thousands of posts who have already been successful and are just here trying to help. The answers are there if you want them. Good luck.

Sorry just got a bit frustrated with people on other posts too telling me that if I really wanted to lose weight I would of done it, and really I hate myself the way I am but always struggled to lose weight. There is nothing more I’d love to do is be the size I’ve always wanted but never got to. I’ve been on mfp now for 3 years and done it on and off for 3 years so I know what to do it’s just when I don’t see a loss it kind of gives part of my brain the go ahead to eat *kitten* food when I know I don’t want to. Really hard to explain to people but my auntie is the only one who seems to experience what I do
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Also they only way you gain 5lbs after eating a bowl of pasta is if that bowl of pasta weighs 5lbs. There are probably around 20 servings of pasta in 5lbs of cooked pasta and at around 200 calories a serving that would be 4000 calories. If your story is true, carbs aren't the problem...

If you drink 5lbs of water with out going to the bathroom you will gain 5lbs, do you blame water for your weight gain?

Sometimes we have to look at things logically instead of panicking and blaming everything under the sun instead of watching what we eat.