Gaining weight eating high carbs???

Replies

• sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Also they only way you gain 5lbs after eating a bowl of pasta is if that bowl of pasta weighs 5lbs. There are probably around 20 servings of pasta in 5lbs of cooked pasta and at around 200 calories a serving that would be 4000 calories. If your story is true, carbs aren't the problem...

If you drink 5lbs of water with out going to the bathroom you will gain 5lbs, do you blame water for your weight gain?

Sometimes we have to look at things logically instead of panicking and blaming everything under the sun instead of watching what we eat.

I had a packet pasta of batchelors pasta n sauce made with water only, I’m not saying it’s made me gain ‘fat’ I was just wondering why pasta could make me bloated and gain on scales (again only know what I weighed after because I went to slimming world to get my weekly weigh in done)

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Also they only way you gain 5lbs after eating a bowl of pasta is if that bowl of pasta weighs 5lbs. There are probably around 20 servings of pasta in 5lbs of cooked pasta and at around 200 calories a serving that would be 4000 calories. If your story is true, carbs aren't the problem...

If you drink 5lbs of water with out going to the bathroom you will gain 5lbs, do you blame water for your weight gain?

Sometimes we have to look at things logically instead of panicking and blaming everything under the sun instead of watching what we eat.

I had a packet pasta of batchelors pasta n sauce made with water only, I’m not saying it’s made me gain ‘fat’ I was just wondering why pasta could make me bloated and gain on scales (again only know what I weighed after because I went to slimming world to get my weekly weigh in done)

It was explained very well further upthread. Every molecule of carbohydrate is accompanied by 3-4 molecules of water. If you've been eating low-carb, you've depleted your glycogen stores, and they were replenished by eating the carbs, which created water weight gain. You didn't gain fat, you gained weight in the form of water/glycogen. Which is both perfectly normal and temporary.

It's the exact same mechanism by which low-carb diets create a relatively high rate of weight loss in the initial stages and fool people into thinking that they're magical - eating low-carb depletes your water/glycogen stores and you quickly lose water weight - but as with above, you didn't lose fat, you just lost water. Over the long term, low-carb diets have no advantage over any other diet in terms of the rate/amount of actual weight loss - it still all comes down to calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Low GI carbs don't agree with me. I have some insulin resistance and it bumps up my BG too much, I end up with some stomach or BM issues more frequently, and I get a lot of headaches. I tend to minimize carbs in my diet because of that. For me, a diet without bagels or many other refined carbs is healthier.

If carbs make losing weight harder, and not just the water weight, you can lower them or mostly skip them. If you can moderate carbs while losing then continue to eat them. Do what works best for you.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member

Why not try taking pictures and seeing if there is visual change rather than comparing a scale weight? Or try using a trend app like Libra or Happyscale so instead of having the wild swings in weight (due to so many reasons besides eating carbs) you can see where it trends.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    I'm not saying anything about fat. The only way you can instantly gain 5lbs is if you put 5lbs in your body.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    CarboHYDRATES = Water weight.

I don't eat a low carb diet, but when i have a particularly higher than usual carby day i know the scale will spike up the next morning. I'm usually back down to normal the next day or two.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I think we're beyond logic and reasoning at this point.

On the second page?! Good work MFP :laugh:

I would say that's a record- but I mean- the CICO thread in debate pretty much opened with quackery- sooooooo I wish it was a record- but I know better.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    You've received a lot of great advice from many people here and I'm sure the answers to help you achieve your goals are contained within it. That said, the following quote struck me:
    I track my calories everyday and have been well below them until yesterday which I was on my allowance

I don't know how large a calorie deficit you're on and for how long you've been dieting at this deficit but I can tell you from personal experience that prolonged dieting can mess up your metabolism and literally bring your weight loss to a screeching halt! I lost 50 lbs in 5 months on an extreme calorie deficit and then the weight loss slowed to a crawl to the point where it stopped completely even though I was still in 500 calories/day deficit. My Metabolism compensated for the extended deficit and literally put the brakes on weight loss. Still on my significant calorie deficit, it took me 4 months of zero weight loss and lots of research to realize what had happened and how to reset it. I began eating at maintenance level to even a slight surplus (10%) for about a month. Over that time I boosted my calories/day up by 1000-1500/day and gained only 5 lbs in total over the whole month. My metabolism had reset and when I went back into a moderate (20%) calorie deficit, I began losing weight again at a health and consistent rate.

The moral of this story is that calorie deficit dieting should be short term, intermittent with healthly weight maintenance eating to preserve the function of your metabolism and help you reach your goals faster.

Hope this helps, good luck!

she says
    Kept to it all last week until yesterday
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Daily variations of multiple lbs is not fat gain.

You don't seem to realize this, and it's important to understand.