High school bully

Options

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I remember 2 bullies who were in high school when I was in grade school. They bullied everyone. One spent his adult life in and out of mental institutions. The other one lived in a home where his dad beat his mom on a pretty regular basis, and then dad went out with his girlfriends. The kid committed suicide when he was about 30.
    I agree totally bullying is not okay and must be stopped.

• Shredder583
    Shredder583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Recently here a girl took her own life bc she was bullied on SM. The state Govt's are beginning to realise that this is a bigger problem on SM these days than they have realised. I was bullied when i was a kid for my name and you know what it made me tougher, thicker skinned but all the same it would have been nice not to been exposed to it in the first place.
    The best action to take especially if you have children is education at a young at around all types of bullying and a zero tolerence against accepting it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I just asked my husband how he behaved in school towards girls that he liked. I asked him did you bully them? Did you say mean things to them? Did you taunt them and mock them?

He said no never and it's the stupidest thing he ever heard.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say that he picked on that particular aspect (weight) because he was self concious about his weight/appearance. Strange that he would pick on a girl for that. Most guys who are self concious about their appearance make fun of another guys appearance.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    I have only ever experienced bullying about my weight from one person my entire life. I don’t know what his problem was but in high school there was one guy who went out of his way to make me miserable. I dated 3 guys over high school in his circle of friends and each time he would pick on them for liking me. He even made things up about me to them to try and encourage them to dump me. The fat jokes were endless and it went as far as stealing my purse and dumping in the trash. Fast forward 15 years, yesterday I see a friend request from him on my Facebook. Really? I sent him a message basically telling him that I appreciate him being such a kitten to me because it showed me exactly who I don’t want to be. I really can’t imagine being that mean. I still have no idea why he singled me out this way. I basically told him I’ve grown from wishing he gets hit by a bus to just hoping he’s changed. (Unlikely and secretly the bus thing is still fine with me) My imperfect body obviously offended him greatly. Have you ever been a bully or been bullied this way?

Just saying here OP. You don't talk about the bully hitting you--did he? Alot of responders seem to think he did. Mental abuse is not OK either, but there is a point where the line must be drawn. Just curious because everyone is jumping into the physical abuse thing. In your OP you say he made you miserable teasing you, name calling and telling his friends to stop dating you. How far did the bullying go?

PS: You also say you've put it past you, but it seems not to me.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have only ever experienced bullying about my weight from one person my entire life. I don’t know what his problem was but in high school there was one guy who went out of his way to make me miserable. I dated 3 guys over high school in his circle of friends and each time he would pick on them for liking me. He even made things up about me to them to try and encourage them to dump me. The fat jokes were endless and it went as far as stealing my purse and dumping in the trash. Fast forward 15 years, yesterday I see a friend request from him on my Facebook. Really? I sent him a message basically telling him that I appreciate him being such a kitten to me because it showed me exactly who I don’t want to be. I really can’t imagine being that mean. I still have no idea why he singled me out this way. I basically told him I’ve grown from wishing he gets hit by a bus to just hoping he’s changed. (Unlikely and secretly the bus thing is still fine with me) My imperfect body obviously offended him greatly. Have you ever been a bully or been bullied this way?

Just saying here OP. You don't talk about the bully hitting you--did he? Alot of responders seem to think he did. Mental abuse is not OK either, but there is a point where the line must be drawn. Just curious because everyone is jumping into the physical abuse thing. In your OP you say he made you miserable teasing you, name calling and telling his friends to stop dating you. How far did the bullying go?

I never said anything about him touching me. He stole my belongings and wrote on my locker. So those are assumptions. I said I hadn’t seen his name or him in years and he sent me request. So yes seeing that after all this time dredged up these feelings. I’ve hardly been crying myself to sleep over it for 15 years if that’s what you mean. It’s not something I think about daily but when I saw he still exists obviously it took me there. So? What’s the point?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I never said anything about him touching me. He stole my belongings and wrote on my locker. So those are assumptions. I said I hadn’t seen his name or him in years and he sent me request. So yes seeing that after all this time dredged up these feelings. I’ve hardly been crying myself to sleep over it for 15 years if that’s what you mean. It’s not something I think about daily but when I saw he still exists obviously it took me there. So? What’s the point?

The point is alot of people have been bullied and were miserable. Alot of us carry that resentment around with us for years and can't let it go. It usually happens in school when we're growing and changing and super sensitive. The best thing is to confront your tormenter THEN when it's happening, and hopefully put a stop to it. Once years pass that's not an option. You confronted him now and told him off. I'm surprised that you didn't get a closing from what should have given you alot of satisfaction. So I asked myself--and if after time has passed he wanted to say he was sorry. Would you feel differently now--better? Perhaps, just perhaps, he realizes he was a jerk to you. Don't you think it's curious that he would show up out of the blue and want to friend you on FB? Not that you would have to accept an apology, and you could tell him why, but hearing him say it might close the hurt off a bit.
  • DanniB423
    Options

The point is alot of people have been bullied and were miserable. Alot of us carry that resentment around with us for years and can't let it go. It usually happens in school when we're growing and changing and super sensitive. The best thing is to confront your tormenter THEN when it's happening, and hopefully put a stop to it. Once years pass that's not an option. You confronted him now and told him off. I'm surprised that you didn't get a closing from what should have given you alot of satisfaction. So I asked myself--and if after time has passed he wanted to say he was sorry. Would you feel differently now--better? Perhaps, just perhaps, he realizes he was a jerk to you. Don't you think it's curious that he would show up out of the blue and want to friend you on FB? Not that you would have to accept an apology, and you could tell him why, but hearing him say it might close the hurt off a bit.
    I do feel satisfaction from telling him how I felt. He wrote back with a thumbs up and laugh face. That says all I need to know about his intentions. Nothing else. Of course I would encourage kids today to confront the bully then. I don’t have a time machine. I figured it would be worse if I told like I think alot of kids do. All I can do is push forward and instill better tactics of handling weasels like him in my daughter. I just wanted to let him no that my boundaries are set. Period. Good luck to him.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    Let him *KNOW sorry.
  • DanniB423
    edited February 2018
    Options
    That makes a whole lot of sense. Empowering yourself health, mind and body. Good for you. @imfornd

• DanniB423
    Options
    So. Based on his reply, survey says .. dude is still a total kitten at 30. Maybe he’ll never procreate.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why you guys, but I really don’t get the “he just liked you” vibe theory here. He was straight up cruel.

Even if this were the case we need to drop kick this excuse from our society. That is some crazy logic... Like a girl is supposed to be flattered by attention even if it's negative attention.

this behavior is not okay. Ever. I don't care what the underlying cause is.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    I have no idea why you guys, but I really don’t get the “he just liked you” vibe theory here. He was straight up cruel.

Even if this were the case we need to drop kick this excuse from our society. That is some crazy logic... Like a girl is supposed to be flattered by attention even if it's negative attention.

this behavior is not okay. Ever. I don't care what the underlying cause is.

I ageee whole heartedly. It was alarming how many times this was suggested.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Could you tell him to call me? I'm single, 5'5" and 250 lbs. He's probably remorseful, broke, a secret chub lover, still a bit mentally off kilter and desperate for company. It might work out with us. And if he steals my purse or writes slurs on my shower curtain, it would be my pleasure to school him.
    This made me laugh out loud. His fiancée is absolutely gorgeous and fit. Idk how he managed that one. But he has always been totally chubby too and still is. He is also missing a front tooth. Not that I would make fun of someone for that but it always made me scratch my head. Like you are going in on me? He looks like Jack Black after being hit in the face with a bat. Just being honest. That’s the truth.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    I would post a pic if that wouldn’t be too creepy and extra. And y’all would wonder how he gets off making fun of anyone. But I won’t.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Mostly I got glowerd at. There was this group of girls who were always a dark cloud, like if you were having fun, they'd frown at you. like WTF?! you just ate a lemon or something? come on and join in on the fun! I basically learned to ignore them. The fellas would tease me but I'd just tease em back which I thought was fun because it sharpened my wit and thickened my skin. Most of my classmates remember me as "the weird fun girl that nobody got to hang with". Oh well, sucks to be you, shoulda spent some time with me instead of trying to control me!
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I got bullied a few times due to my weight, but after the third time of getting called names by a few people I challenged them on it, one person pushed me so i fought back ended up winning the fight because in theory i was larger lol so hit a lot harder :p . After my second fight, no one ever messed with me again...bullies don't like it when the victim fights back.

Win or lose, you still win...if that makes sense.