Meal Replacement?

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to replace a meal?

I love meals.

Dieting is derp. Just eat what keeps you happy and healthy and CI<CO.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    She is just trying to sell you what the gym sells. She probably has a quota, and is expected to get all of her clients on the stuff. She might honestly believe in it too, but mainly ir's because she gets yelled at if she doesn't.

I actually think like them occasionally, usually if my stomach is feeling dodgy, or I need something at bedtime. I uswd to deink Slimfast all the time,I but apparently they changed the recipe and now it really upsets my stomach. Probably added more soy, sadly my stomavh doesn't do soy well.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    She is just trying to sell you what the gym sells. She probably has a quota, and is expected to get all of her clients on the stuff. She might honestly believe in it too, but mainly ir's because she gets yelled at if she doesn't.

I actually think like them occasionally, usually if my stomach is feeling dodgy, or I need something at bedtime. I uswd to deink Slimfast all the time,I but apparently they changed the recipe and now it really upsets my stomach. Probably added more soy, sadly my stomavh doesn't do soy well.
    I like Slimfast Café Latte bottled, the rest are rather sweet and leave an after taste.

• ruthlessflower
    ruthlessflower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    MissyCHF wrote: »

I like Slimfast Café Latte bottled, the rest are rather sweet and leave an after taste.

Ive just ordered the cafe latte ones so hoping they’re a decent taste.
  • kehillig
    kehillig Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Replacing a meal seems to only be ideal if you are in a time crunch most days. A meal replacement should be something that is well-rounded and not directly aimed at weight loss. I've tried a few different products. When I was running a lot, training, I would typically go with a whey/soy protein shake after a morning run as breakfast, but pared it with something like a banana to ensure I had enough calories to wait for the meal. There are also things like casein powder that digests slower and keeps you fuller longer, if it is snacking that gets you down. The problem with a meal replacement, especially liquid ones, is hitting that satiation level we would normally get from a larger meal. Slim fast did not work for me, and it was also quite sugary. Gold Standard casein powder was my next favorite, and if I were hitting the gym like I should, I would still be using it. Right now I am using Soylent, which has worked out quite well from a lazy-breakfast-maker's perspective. It is a bit more well-rounded than the casein powder, and I do not have to intake additional fruit/veggies to round out the meal with additional calories. Going back off of a meal replacement can be hard. I have found that each time I have done so, I tend to under-measure and overeat as a result. Try different things, don't be afraid to change if it is not working, and do not put any stock into them aside from them being a quick on the go choice.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'll go against the grain here. I have an HMR meal replacement shake with coffee instead of water every morning before working out. It's like an energy drink.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    You mean meal-replacement shakes?

No thanks. I don't find liquid calories satiating at ALL, I would be ravenous all day. You can lose the weight with solid foods just as easily.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    The only time I have used meal replacement shakes is when I was doing 14 hour days with only 15 minute breaks. I would have a shake, a boiled egg and some veggies. All because I was too damn tired to prepare a proper meal. Now I have a more flexible schedule I choose to eat proper food because it is more satisfying.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    MissyCHF wrote: »

Ive just ordered the cafe latte ones so hoping they’re a decent taste.
    Best straight out of the fridge. :)

• sommerrosee2
    sommerrosee2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i use quest protein powder as a base, and then add whatever in to help make it more of a meal "replacement"(fruits, veggies, chia seeds, etc) usually ends up being around 260-275 depending on what i do or don't add. i do this because it's an easy way for me to get more protein in and not eat as many carbs, plus it is super filling for me. not everyone likes "drinking" their food. everyone says meal timing doesn't matter, but i am usually hungry about an hour or so after i wake up, so i need something, but eating actual food isn't that appealing to me that early...plus i end up eating wayyy more later in the day if i do not have something in the morning. i really just think that it's personal preference.
  • Nursie863
    Nursie863 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    On work days I generally have a shake before I go in....I work 12 hr shifts so I'm usually short on time. I use Orgain vegan shakes with unsweetened almond milk and sometimes some PB2 or frozen fruit. Keeps me going for about 6 hours!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    The only reason I would do a meal replacement was if I was in a big hurry and didn’t have time for anything else otherwise I don’t I understand why you wouldn’t just eat food like normal people
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    imfornd wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    The only reason I would do a meal replacement was if I was in a big hurry and didn’t have time for anything else otherwise I don’t I understand why you wouldn’t just eat food like normal people

sometimes too many calories for equal protein

I think you're referring to protein supplementation, not meal replacements. The product you mentioned above (Isopure Zero Carb) is a protein shake, not a meal replacement. They're different things, designed for different needs.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I think you're referring to protein supplementation, not meal replacements. The product you mentioned above (Isopure Zero Carb) is a protein shake, not a meal replacement. They're different things, designed for different needs.

nah I use MRP for replacement of full meals
    not better than real food - but for me to get the same nutrition I would need 600 calories instead of 200

Regardless of what *you* choose to use protein supplementation for, OP is asking about meal replacement products.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

nah I use MRP for replacement of full meals
    not better than real food - but for me to get the same nutrition I would need 600 calories instead of 200

Regardless of what *you* choose to use protein supplementation for, OP is asking about meal replacement products.

what is use IS an MRP

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Are you saying that Isopure Zero Carb is a meal replacement product? The marketing and product information I see when I search for that indicates that it is a protein powder, not a meal replacement. Or are you saying that you're using another product as well, one that is a meal replacement?