Chronic illness and staying healthy

Options
Having a limitation to being active is so frustrating IK! Especially, coming from being an active person to now, dealing with 2 chronic autoimmune illnesses! Autoimmune hepatitis when your immune system attacks your liver and immune system. And recently diagnosed with fibermayalga, which affects my mobile ability, joints ache all day and night! It's painful but due to having a c-section I could not move my illnesses forbidden it. Now I'm stuck with this weight that needs to melt off! If only that was possible!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight, is a sustained calorie deficit. Exercise can add to that deficit, but you can also create it with diet alone. You can eat anything you like and lose weight, in fact, eating food you like will make it easier to stick to, and stick to it you must. What you like will most likely change, though, as you have to make some changes to your diet to be able to stick to an appropriate amount of calories. Those changes, as well as the weight loss, will most likely have a positive influence on your health.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Autoimmune issues are tricky business! I have ulcerative colitis and proctitis and while in remission, I still have overall inflammation issues. However, I can control a lot of the pain and achiness with my diet. As said above, diet is key to better health. Organic foods if possible, cut sugar, wheat, dairy and any processed foods (most packaged convenience foods in particular) ... I found that within a few months, I my gut healed enough that I could venture out and try exercising without having to be parked in the bathroom. Heating pads, hot baths, chiropractic care and massages helped along the way.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Except for aiming for a calorie deficit, which doesn't really work with people who have autoimmune issues, all of the other advice is sound. Unfortunately, a lot of us can't eat whatever we like without dealing with the consequences. It is likely that you will have to make some changes like giving up sugar and packaged foods, and eat more immune friendly stuff. It is incredibly important that for the time being, you have to focus on health first. Losing weight may fall into place, but you want to feel good doing it.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @rettahands you may find this information helpful. I also have FM, and possible Autimmune Thyroid Disorder (I will get 6 month tests in Oct for confirmation on the latter). I have a medical background in physiotherapy and get continuing ed updates and latest published studies via email. I post pertinent Fibro info on this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104325/medscape-updates-on-clinical-studies-medical-professionals-continuing-ed-site-re-fm#latest

Very important: see also the first and second posts here concerning gluten and FMS and other autoimmune diseases. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104290/medscape-medical-professionals-continuing-ed-site-celiac-disease-gluten-sensitivity-articles#latest
  • WifeandMomof06
    WifeandMomof06 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia - under control now - and I did have CFS, now in remission. Two years ago I had to use a cane to walk, sometimes even needed a wheelchair, and I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes without needing to lay down for hours. Don't despair - I believe that if I can recover my health, others can too. I would really encourage you to focus on the quality of your diet, rather than on weight loss, at the moment. I did a 100 day challenge, which turned things around for me (no sugar or sweeteners, no gluten, no dairy, no processed food). It gave me enough health back that eventually I was able to start exercising, which I did very slowly & gradually.

Yes and that’s great your under control! Everyone is different when it comes to health!! I’m sure you’ve been dealing with fibromyalgia for many years, It’s my second year and it’s nothing nice with another autoimmune illness and possibly lupus! Thank you
  • WifeandMomof06
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Autoimmune issues are tricky business! I have ulcerative colitis and proctitis and while in remission, I still have overall inflammation issues. However, I can control a lot of the pain and achiness with my diet. As said above, diet is key to better health. Organic foods if possible, cut sugar, wheat, dairy and any processed foods (most packaged convenience foods in particular) ... I found that within a few months, I my gut healed enough that I could venture out and try exercising without having to be parked in the bathroom. Heating pads, hot baths, chiropractic care and massages helped along the way.

It’s very tricky! Everyone is different, bodies are different as well! I have cut carbs, sugary drinks out! Taking it one day at a time and I’m doing good since this post lol thank you for your advice
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I have lupus with vasculitis which makes my heart rate shoot up. It's really hard to lose weight when you're forced to be sedentary. Count calories. And as @Chieflrg said, find sources of pleasure other than food. I like herbal tea and fancy fingernail colors when I'm feeling terrible.

If you can move just a little, even if it's painful, it does help, and you will find you can move more and more. Do whatever you are allowed to do, even if it's walking, or swinging cans around, or wall push-ups.
  • WifeandMomof06
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Except for aiming for a calorie deficit, which doesn't really work with people who have autoimmune issues, all of the other advice is sound. Unfortunately, a lot of us can't eat whatever we like without dealing with the consequences. It is likely that you will have to make some changes like giving up sugar and packaged foods, and eat more immune friendly stuff. It is incredibly important that for the time being, you have to focus on health first. Losing weight may fall into place, but you want to feel good doing it.

Yes, all true! It’s hard mostly when you can’t keep food or your appetite don’t want you too eat! I’ve found myself giving into my sweet and salty taste buds! I have did so good, with MFP APp it is very helpful and have helped me loose a lot of weight
  • WifeandMomof06
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I have lupus, and it's hard, just like you said. I was more than 100 lbs overweight when I realized that I HAD to lose the weight, that it was making my life harder and would only make it worse. I couldn't exercise because my immune system was attacking my heart.

So I logged on here and set up a goal of just 1 lb/week with activity set to sedentary. It took a few weeks to get into the habit of logging consistently, but once I did, the weight started coming off. I had to be honest with myself, and it was hard to give up treats and large servings at first, but sticking with it was worth it.

I am in an active flare right now, but it's SO much easier to deal with than it was when I was so heavy. My heart is way less stressed. It takes less energy to drag my fatigued carcass into the shower or to get things done.

In retrospect, I wish I'd realized that as someone with an autoimmune disease, maintaining a healthy weight was more important than if I'd been healthy, because I can only fight so much at once.

I believe you can also lose weight. It will take dedication and commitment to weighing and logging your food. Getting stone physical activity in as you can is important for your well being, but completely unnecessary to lose weight. Best wishes!

Thank you so much! Congratulations to you for becoming healthier! That fatigue is what gets us in a day, that stops you from getting anything done! Since, this post I’ve lost 30lbs, I’m going for another 30. Thank you for understanding, best of luck to you
  • WifeandMomof06
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @rettahands you may find this information helpful. I also have FM, and possible Autimmune Thyroid Disorder (I will get 6 month tests in Oct for confirmation on the latter). I have a medical background in physiotherapy and get continuing ed updates and latest published studies via email. I post pertinent Fibro info on this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104325/medscape-updates-on-clinical-studies-medical-professionals-continuing-ed-site-re-fm#latest

Very important: see also the first and second posts here concerning gluten and FMS and other autoimmune diseases. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104290/medscape-medical-professionals-continuing-ed-site-celiac-disease-gluten-sensitivity-articles#latest

Thank you so much! I will look into this article I hope you feel better soon!
  • WifeandMomof06
    Options
    I too have fibro and several other autoimmune conditions. Like another poster upthread, 2 years ago, I was using a cane to walk.

All you need to lose weight is to count your calories. I cannot tell you how much easier and less fatigued you will feel by getting your weight down.

I'd also like to gently encourage you to gradually move through your pain. One of the best things people with fibro can do is exercise. It will help with the pain and fatigue. It doesn't have to be anything special. Just walk. I started out hobbling to the corner with my cane and now I can run. You don't have to work your way up to that, but even working your way to walking around the block will make you feel better.

Thank you for your advice
  • WifeandMomof06
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I have a couple autoimmune diseases as well.

It's a catch 22, but there is a balance for most.

First thing first to lose weight, you have to be in a deficit, nothing else.

Secondly try to find things that release stress, it's the most common reason for flare ups from the people I talk to.

Good things for me was...
    Divorce, lol
    Running
    Beach walks
    Bike rides
    Weight lifting
    Playing guitar/singing

Hang in there and find yours...

Thank you but I’m never stressed! I live worry free, in life you just know you can’t change things! I’m living more healthier, then before!
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have Chronic fatigue, now (mostly) in remission. I'm wishing you the best.

When I was housebound, I was pretty miserable. Eating was one of the few joys I had, and I overdid it a bit. I hope you're able to consciously seek out other kinds of joy in your life.

The "good" news is this: most research shows that weight loss is much more about how you eat than how you exercise. Weight loss is absolutely possible without exercise.

Good luck.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Glad you are doing better !
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »

This is my wife's experience too. She had Fibro so bad 3 years ago that she told me she wanted to die. We started small, going Gluten Free and cutting out sugar. Then dairy, adding in supplements and she did Tai Chi. Big thing for her was chemical avoidance. Her Traditional doc suggested water aerobics, which made her much, much worse. We found out that many with Fibromyalgia don't do well on the byproducts of chlorine and sweat/urine (it's actually a chemical warfare agent that's produced).

She now works out around 6 days a week and looks 10 years younger. We've gone mostly vegan and make sure we avoid Round-Up, which she seems especially sensitive to. You can do that by eating only organic grains/beans/legumes and avoiding beef/pork. We eat limited chicken, salmon and organic eggs. That and Vegan Protein Powder (SunWarrior) to supplement. Also, flax, chia and mint are all pretty high in Round-Up. We only get organic of these or avoid them. Same with Quinoa. Costco has all of these Organic for very reasonable prices. So is non-organic bone broth. That's especially high actually, one of the worst things along with Gelatin and Collagen.

I've changed my diet completely to match hers as well. Once you learn what you can and can't eat, it's not that bad. If we had it all to do over, about the only thing different we would do is see if she could get on LDN for the initial pain. She did it all without any prescriptions, but it was very painful while recovering. LDN is about the only prescription I've seen that helps and doesn't cause more side effects than value.